Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:01 AM

5 posts, read 7,452 times

Advertisements

We're a bi-racial family moving from the NYC area to Cincinnati. We are hoping to find a 5 BR (preferably modern) home in an upscale community with access to good schools and some diversity. My husband will be working in Hamilton. I mostly work from home. I'd rather not have a lot of land so neighbors are close enough to get to know and my kids can make friends on the block. from what I've seen online, I'd say less than an acre if possible. I'd love to hear any suggestions of neighborhoods or towns you could offer. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by funnyrunner; 02-11-2015 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: more information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 08:08 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,945,085 times
Are you looking for a more urban location with older homes or a more suburban location with newer homes? Diversity is kind of a tricky topic...are you thinking in terms of income and lifestyle diversity, racial diversity, or a bit of all? Public or private schools? Budget?

Old 02-11-2015, 08:16 AM

Looking for racial diversity and a progressive community. We'd love an ultra-modern home but I know that is a stretch. Nothing older than 1950. We'd prefer public school but are not entirely opposed to private. Never had any experience with private school so it'd be one more thing I'd have to educate myself about. Budget is $600's.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:59 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,163,629 times
I guess the next big question is... where do you both work and how long are the commutes?

Offhand though, you sound like a perfect match for one of the more modern houses in the Clifton Gaslight area. It has a decent collection of modern houses, which is a rarity in the area. Brick clad fronts and vinyl sided backs seem to be all the rage with newly built housing, or really any housing built post 1980 in the Cincinnati area. Downside is public schools - in Cincy it can be done, and actually one of the area's best high schools is in the district, but working out all the details of admission, etc. is tedious.

Otherwise maybe Wyoming? And if you're willing to go as far north as Middletown, here's a stunning house that might work well for you:
Real Estate & Homes For Sale - 1 Homes - Zillow

Downside is Middletown has issues and the schools there aren't great. But for some houses it's worth the sacrifice, and this house just might be one of those houses for you. Also I'd be willing to bet they will come down on the price, the house has been on the market for a while.

Good luck!

Old 02-11-2015, 11:47 AM

Thank you SWOH. I will take a look at Clifton and keep looking in Wyoming.

Yes the school thing has my head swimming. Saw a house in Sycamore Twp, but they don't go to Sycamore schools??? It's a bit overwhelming. In the northeast you find out what school is good and then you move to that town. I didn't realize how easy we've had it.

In terms of modern, this is actually more my style:

REALTOR.com - Real estate listings & homes for sale

Single Family Homes For Sale - 1 Homes - Zillow

But I know these houses are few and far between.

Again, thanks so much for your time and knowledge.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:16 PM

12 posts, read 14,579 times
Don't expect anywhere near the racial diversity as there is where you are from. The Greater Cincinnati area is pretty much limited to white, black or a mix. Just saying if that's a major concern, you might be a little limited.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:22 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,473,343 times
Cincinnati can be a very racist city.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:48 PM

610 posts, read 797,740 times
Pleasant Ridge is the most diverse part of the city with it basically being 50/50. Might be able to find some 1970s homes there but feel like most were built in 1940s.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:57 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
The only place where you might experience some racial prejudice is in one of the all black neighborhoods in the City. However, given your wishlist and probable limited locations for what you want, you will not be looking at any of those places.

This is 2015, not 1952. Cincinnati is a sophisticated city. Prejudice against interracial marriage among white persons is essentially non existent here. You may have experienced some ethinic areas in NY like Little Italy or whatnot where a person of color would not be welcomed, but please do not project that onto us. If you can afford a 5 bedroom home in an area with modern houses and good schools you could be a green and purple couple for all anyone cares.

However, if you go around thinking it is a big deal and looking for signs of prejudice I am sure you will find them whether they exist in reality or not. Move beyond that stuff and get a nice house in a nice neighborhood and stop looking for prejudice.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:45 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,930 times
^ () Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati