Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 03:37 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
We tried to get my father-in-law to quit farming for years. He wouldn't do it. Most of his friends who quit in their late 60s and 70s all died within 5-7 years of "retiring". He farmed until he was 80 and then finally quit. He died at 86 after suffering, and I really mean suffering, from complications of Alzheimer's, spending the last 4 years of his life in a nursing home.

Before he got to the point where he could no longer carry on a lucid conversation, he lamented many times about how he started to lose his muscle tone and his coordination when he stopped working regularly.

I'm not saying everyone is like this, but I will also not make a blanket statement that everyone should give up and just putter around the garden just because they have reached a certain age.

We just bought a 1.25 acre property for our new house, and even though I am at retirement age, I hope to be able to take care of that property for a long time to come.
And I hope so too. I have been retired for 12 years and keep turning away the lawn care people for my 1 acre lot. Taking care of the lawn is about the only exercise I currently get. Have backed down considerably on the flower beds, but still like doing the normal lawn care. My wife, who is vary invalid, just loves watching the wildlife feed who congregate in our lot. The pleasure of a lawn is one of the most satisfying experiences in life in my HMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 03:40 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,981,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
We tried to get my father-in-law to quit farming for years. He wouldn't do it. Most of his friends who quit in their late 60s and 70s all died within 5-7 years of "retiring". He farmed until he was 80 and then finally quit. He died at 86 after suffering, and I really mean suffering, from complications of Alzheimer's, spending the last 4 years of his life in a nursing home.

Before he got to the point where he could no longer carry on a lucid conversation, he lamented many times about how he started to lose his muscle tone and his coordination when he stopped working regularly.

I'm not saying everyone is like this, but I will also not make a blanket statement that everyone should give up and just putter around the garden just because they have reached a certain age.

We just bought a 1.25 acre property for our new house, and even though I am at retirement age, I hope to be able to take care of that property for a long time to come.
My husband will be 70 in a few months. He grew up on a farm. Yard work, home improvement, home repair, and woodworking continue to be his primary sources of physical and mental exercise. For someone with his background, most stuff a homeowner does is like child's play. But he tries to not get complacent, to stay well aware of his physical limitations, and to be vigilant about being more and more careful around machinery, ladders, etc. as he gets older. I think--and hope--that attitude is probably more important than anything else in preventing his becoming a statistic. Probably on balance this work, at least at this point, is better for him than not. And I suspect he'll be keeping it up 10 years from now.

Of course, he's blessed with good genes. Even though his father drank himself into an early grave, both grandfathers lived past 90. Albeit a bit taciturn in the one case and grouchy as an old bear in the other.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:52 PM

245 posts, read 333,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Part of my extended family are farmers. They die young and hard. I could put up statistics but why?

The definitive study in Finland puts farmers at the very bottom of all occupations for life expectancy due to accidents. My point, exactly. Tell your cronies to get off the tractor, and take up checkers.
My Dad died at 83 and was tending his 75 acre farm with approx 20 cows (beef) until 3 months before he passed. He had a pacemaker for a couple of years.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:52 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h Steve View Post
My Dad died at 83 and was tending his 75 acre farm with approx 20 cows (beef) until 3 months before he passed. He had a pacemaker for a couple of years.

No one wants our rural Americans to enjoy long life and good health more than I do. But, sadly, they are victims of every type of life threatening events one can imagine. Protecting crops and animals, they do not have the luxury of staying inside when it storms, going off to the south when the weather turns bad, or letting the animals fend for themselves when the flu has them sidelined. They are last vestige of free, entrepreneurs. Heroes in my mind.

But, is is silly to think that farm life results in longevity when exactly the opposite is true. And, for a lesser extent, each of us seniors has a tiny fraction of the risk of accidental injury and death as our rural counterparts.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:06 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times
Since everyone's all about property rights, I hope someone builds a big old smelly pig farm right next door, and let's see how much you champion that philosophy.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
No one wants our rural Americans to enjoy long life and good health more than I do. But, sadly, they are victims of every type of life threatening events one can imagine. Protecting crops and animals, they do not have the luxury of staying inside when it storms, going off to the south when the weather turns bad, or letting the animals fend for themselves when the flu has them sidelined. They are last vestige of free, entrepreneurs. Heroes in my mind.

But, is is silly to think that farm life results in longevity when exactly the opposite is true. And, for a lesser extent, each of us seniors has a tiny fraction of the risk of accidental injury and death as our rural counterparts.
Oh I agree. Farming is very dangerous, but for those that choose to do it, it's a passion. To me, it was just hard ass work.

Now, I won't derail this any further.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:17 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Since everyone's all about property rights, I hope someone builds a big old smelly pig farm right next door, and let's see how much you champion that philosophy.
I live on what was a big old smelly pig farm in Mason til they built Kings Island and someone decided it would make a good subdivision.

There's enough restrictions on what you can place in a given area of property I have no concerns about people suddenly putting in objectionable farm animals next to me. But I am concerned about farmers being forced out of business due to artificial restrictions being placed on them.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Don't buy farmland and the chance of having a pig farm next door is pretty much 'nil'.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:47 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Here is an example of that lovely turn of the century Victorian architecture translated to modern construction by the Walnut Hills Historic Board:
Yeesh. Yeah, hideous is the word for it, all right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
This BS has been going on around Greater Boston for 20 years or so. As usual, Cincinnati is just now catching up.
LOL. You know what Mark Twain said ...

Quote:
Look no farther than Montgomery's older neighborhoods (constructed during the 1950's and '60s) for a prime example of aesthetic destabilization wrought by tear-downs. It's going at a pretty fierce clip over there.
You're right, it's horrible. A good friend's parents sold their beautiful brick ranch, and a few years later it was sold again as a teardown. Because a three-bedroom, three-bathroom ranch house with a fully finished walkout basement is so obsolete, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I'm with you on this...when people bemoan someone tearing a house/building down, my answer to them is if you don't want to see it torn down, why didn't you buy it? If someone is willing to buy a property, as long as they break no laws, I don't think anyone should be able to tell them what to do with it.
So you'd be OK with your neighbor tearing down his 1 1/2-story bungalow and replacing it with three four-story townhouses in a neighborhood full of 1 1/2 story bungalows?

I think not.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:01 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I live on what was a big old smelly pig farm in Mason til they built Kings Island and someone decided it would make a good subdivision.

There's enough restrictions on what you can place in a given area of property I have no concerns about people suddenly putting in objectionable farm animals next to me. But I am concerned about farmers being forced out of business due to artificial restrictions being placed on them.
Kings Island has been around 40+ years, and the farm didn't exist since you've lived there. Slight difference than if someone built one next door today. And I don't believe for a hot minute that you'd be okay with that, but even if you were, I can bet there's something you'd object to. Train station maybe?

Farmers are the biggest government moochers of all. And because they raise food and can potentially severely impact the environment, they are a group that needs strict guidelines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati