Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 01:05 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times

Advertisements

BTW, born and raised in Cincy. Would not even dream of living here without a car. Of course that is my generation.

Hope you have a good time here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 02:26 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,163,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
OP - I don't agree with some of the suggestions, particularly concerning a hotel across the river in NKY, especially without a car. Having to go back and forth across the river is to me a big waste of time. All of your points of interest are on the Ohio side, so why stay in NKY?
You bring up an excellent point, that is a lot of additional travel. I suggested it because the walk across the Roebling Bridge is nice and the views of Cincinnati from KY are unparalleled. Also I was under the impression lodging taxes were lower? That I don't know though.

I'm not sure how far away you are from or how often you are in the area, but I've heard excellent things about the 21C Museum Hotel. Might be worth a look if it's not booked up (probably is already though)

There is one notably bad hotel downtown (The Millenium?) - the hotel to which I'm referring is attached to the Duke Convention Center downtown. It gets a consistently bad rap. Might want to stay elsewhere if possible.

Otherwise, good luck and keep us posted!

Old 03-04-2015, 03:07 PM

549 posts, read 849,131 times
Yes. My best friend used to be the front of house manager at the Millennium. I wouldn't spend a night there if you paid me. The rest of the hotels downtown have pretty clean records.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:12 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,981,059 times
Although I'm from the older generation (ok, oldEST), I think the OP can get around town without a car. There have been quite a few practical-sounding suggestions. The simple fact is, you're going to spend time working out the logistics that you could otherwise spend actually sightseeing and enjoying area attractions. Figuring out bus schedules and waiting at stops. The extra time it takes to bike somewhere as opposed by driving a car. If you're good with that kind of thing, then yes, I think it's doable. Do take the advice to heart about the hilly terrain, though.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:18 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
The car thing is just silly. The cost of a car is a fraction of the differential cost of the hotels meaning that if you pick price point number 3 on the hotel instead of price point number 2 you are covering the cost of the car. And, that is doubly true if you are springing for her separate room. And, with a car you can seriously diminish the hotel cost by choosing a B&B as was mentioned above, or a good suburban hotel like the Mariemont Inn.

My point is that your predicate - no car - is just a silly mistake in your plan.

And, God forbid if this trip has romantic overtones. Nothing a girl likes better than sitting on a bus stop in a crappy neighborhood in the rain waiting for a trip to a cemetery. Then packing a lunch for the bus trip back down Spring Grove Ave.

I am assuming this is an elderly professional acquaintance from your plan which is about as romantic as a trip to the periodontist. If not, reset this plan and solicit suggestions.

Last edited by Wilson513; 03-05-2015 at 01:34 AM..

Old 03-05-2015, 05:10 AM

549 posts, read 849,131 times
^^^I doubt I will ever understand how we can live in the same neighborhood and see the world so completely differently.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
^^^I doubt I will ever understand how we can live in the same neighborhood and see the world so completely differently.

Its because I only work here in OTR and I get back on to my roots after five pm.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:59 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,981,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
The car thing is just silly. The cost of a car is a fraction of the differential cost of the hotels meaning that if you pick price point number 3 on the hotel instead of price point number 2 you are covering the cost of the car. And, that is doubly true if you are springing for her separate room. And, with a car you can seriously diminish the hotel cost by choosing a B&B as was mentioned above, or a good suburban hotel like the Mariemont Inn.

My point is that your predicate - no car - is just a silly mistake in your plan.

And, God forbid if this trip has romantic overtones. Nothing a girl likes better than sitting on a bus stop in a crappy neighborhood in the rain waiting for a trip to a cemetery. Then packing a lunch for the bus trip back down Spring Grove Ave.

I am assuming this is an elderly professional acquaintance from your plan which is about as romantic as a trip to the periodontist. If not, reset this plan and solicit suggestions.
LOL. That's what I meant--I was just trying to be tactful.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:58 AM

I'd be happy to give you a plan for 5 days in Cincinnati with a girl you are trying to romance. Just let me know her age and if she drinks alcohol. You have a former expert at your disposal.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:25 PM

649 posts, read 817,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Aww young love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati