U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 06:32 PM

3 posts, read 2,587 times

Advertisements

I've looked around and found a lot of detailed answers about relocating to Cinci, but after a while reading all theses posts is getting confusing. I' am looking for specific answers, name of places I can start googling.

3 young kids, elementary, preschool, middle school in one year.. looking for a recommendation on where to rent an apartment (name of a complex if possible), first floor or a townhouse 3 to 4 bedrooms, great to good school district (public school mainly). I am not interested in renting a house, mainly because the houses I looked at online seemed so outdated compared to my current one. It freaked me out plus this is potentially a temporary relocation. The complex should be as close as possible to C. Children's hospital. Max $2000.

Thank you for your answers.

Have you searched this forum for answers to your questions before posting a new inquiry?

. What specific topic have you not found answers to?
Apartments close to C.C.H. and in a great to good school district

. Where is you current location and environment?
TN, EXCELLENT school district, commute about 45 minutes to work.

. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change?
I'll settle for Good to decent schools if it gets me closer to C.C.H.

. Where will your work location be?
children's hospital

. Maximum commute time desired?
as close as possible to work and good to decent school district.

. What is you budget for housing?
$2000

. Rent or buy?
Rent

. Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family)
Apartment/townhouse

. Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths)
3+ bed 2*bath

. Other specifics?

. Neighborhood environment? : No shootings
. Urban, young professional, nightlife: Why not
. Mid-urban, close in neighborhood or suburb, stable investment: Not really
. Suburban, low maintenance, quiet streets, soccer mom atmosphere: Nah
. Family oriented: Why not
. Lots of same age kids, activities Maybe
. Great schools Just noy bad
. Older, distinctive architecture, individual character Dunnotcaro
. Modern, 15 yrs old or less, move-in ready Modern looking!
. Diversity of income, race, housing? All white is ok
. Yard - none, small, large (1/2 acre or more) None
. Very safe, low crime area? Safe
. Can tolerate some degree of crime potential? How Much?
. Private neighborhood association, swimming & fitness facilities Nah

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 07:04 PM

9,259 posts, read 14,535,432 times
Your desires are commendable but I am not too sure how realistic in Cincinnati. This is NOT a big rental town beyond the low end apartments, or the bookoo high priced upper end where they know not planning to stay long.

The vast majority purchase here with the expectation they can resell when they want to move. Most pricing is based on that assumption. If that is outside of your desire, then expect to be gouged on rental costs, a simple demand market.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Your desires are commendable but I am not too sure how realistic in Cincinnati. This is NOT a big rental town beyond the low end apartments, or the bookoo high priced upper end where they know not planning to stay long.

The vast majority purchase here with the expectation they can resell when they want to move. Most pricing is based on that assumption. If that is outside of your desire, then expect to be gouged on rental costs, a simple demand market.
Thank you for the reply. What is the best/good school district closest to children's? I'll start my search there. Ty.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGurlFromGabon View Post
Thank you for the reply. What is the best/good school district closest to children's? I'll start my search there. Ty.
The closest topnotch district in my opinion is Wyoming. Many others are good, but they come out on top year after year. I expect expensive, but if you are looking for the best start there. Also, has to be a close commute to Children's. If you want the best then strive for the best, plain and simple.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
The closest topnotch district in my opinion is Wyoming. Many others are good, but they come out on top year after year. I expect expensive, but if you are looking for the best start there. Also, has to be a close commute to Children's. If you want the best then strive for the best, plain and simple.
thx.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGurlFromGabon View Post
thx.
If you want for and desire for the best, then go for the best. Keep your inside commutes in an extremely good neighborhood. Beyond that move outside of Cincinnati where the really good neighborhoods are.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:37 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,246,640 times
Quote:
If you want for and desire for the best, then go for the best... Beyond that move outside of Cincinnati where the really good neighborhoods are.
Knowing how long you've lived in Cincinnati (and know about Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout, East Walnut Hills, and Mt. Adams), how could you say something like this to an outsider?

Old 03-15-2015, 11:38 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,316,831 times
Your basic problem is that Children's is solidly within the undesirable Cincinnati Public School district, so you're going to have somewhat of a commute if you want a decent district. There are some reasonably large, newish apartment complexes not far from Children's, and there's at least one excellent Cincinnati Public magnet school (Fairview German Language), but coming from out of town and navigating the complexities of getting three kids into magnet schools just doesn't seem practical to me. Especially if you may not be here for very long.

Wyoming is a solid suggestion, and possibly your very best bet. Also you may wish to look across the river in the Ft. Mitchell, Ky. area served by Beechwood SD. Ft. Thomas, Ky. is a bit further out, but also has good public schools. Back on the Ohio side, the Sycamore district that serves the suburbs of Blue Ash and Montgomery is also well regarded. That's probably the longest commute of all, though.

There's no reason based on what you posted to consider the farther out suburbs like Mason or West Chester. Cincinnati has, I believe, plenty of rental housing in your price range.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:15 AM

602 posts, read 561,577 times
What most suburban posters fail to say is that Cincy Public are not all horrible. Walnut Hills is the always one the best high schools in the state and Kilgour Elementary is one the best elementary schools in the state. Fairview was mentioned but you have to camp out for it. Plenty of houses to rent within Kilgour district in Oakley. Easy 15 minute drive to CCH.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:19 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,316,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
What most suburban posters fail to say is that Cincy Public are not all horrible. Walnut Hills is the always one the best high schools in the state and Kilgour Elementary is one the best elementary schools in the state. Fairview was mentioned but you have to camp out for it. Plenty of houses to rent within Kilgour district in Oakley. Easy 15 minute drive to CCH.
Well, they did say "good to great school district" and CPS by no stretch of the imagination fits that. Walnut Hills' quality is irrelevant to somebody with kids the age of the OP's and especially when they're talking about being so transient they're renting. You mention houses when they specifically said they want an apartment. And it sounds like only one of their three kids is in the Kilgour age group.

Otherwise, your advice is excellent and I'm sure most helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati