Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 07:05 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,335,370 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I'm staying at a hotel downtown and, one of these mornings, am interested in visiting Findlay Market, with stops at Hoffman's Donuts and Tucker's along the way.

The trip seems to be a fairly straightforward and short trek up Vine Ave., with a left on Elder to get to Findlay. This seems quite walkable to me, but a couple of people have advised me to take a bus instead--not so much because of the distance, but more because OTR isn't considered the safest of neighborhoods....

What do you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 07:46 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,183,852 times
Literally just walked it today. You'll be fine! It's a nice walk.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:56 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,962,221 times
I think you'll be fine. You'll probably be a little uncomfortable for the three or so blocks between Liberty and Findlay Market.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:30 PM

410 posts, read 589,960 times
During the day, you'll be fine.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:35 PM

7,078 posts, read 16,805,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
Hi folks,

I'm staying at a hotel downtown and, one of these mornings, am interested in visiting Findlay Market, with stops at Hoffman's Donuts and Tucker's along the way.

The trip seems to be a fairly straightforward and short trek up Vine Ave., with a left on Elder to get to Findlay. This seems quite walkable to me, but a couple of people have advised me to take a bus instead--not so much because of the distance, but more because OTR isn't considered the safest of neighborhoods....

What do you recommend?
It is still pretty gritty around the market. There are definitely some panhandlers, homeless, and the like. I never felt in danger there, only uncomfortable, and I am a city person all around.

Never walk that area after dark....there are still tons of assaults there, with several a day occurring around 15th and Vine

100 Findlay Street, Cincinnati, OH | Trulia.com

(the market is actually on Race, but this is very nearby. You can see the entire area is red, which is very high crime)

Just look at these maps. That is an uncomfortable amount of aggravated assaults and battery.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:02 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,043,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
Hi folks,

...The trip seems to be a fairly straightforward and short trek up Vine Ave., with a left on Elder to get to Findlay. This seems quite walkable to me, but a couple of people have advised me to take a bus instead--not so much because of the distance, but more because OTR isn't considered the safest of neighborhoods....

What do you recommend?
As you may have noticed, your question's eliciting all kinds of responses--so let's just keep things simple: (a) the same rules that apply in walking around urban Milwaukee apply in Cincinnati; (b) your own physical condition combined with Cincinnati summer weather will be important; (c) enjoy your visit.

btw... If you're not wishing to walk back to the hotel from Findlay Market, just catch any bus at the market's Race Street stop. They all head back downtown. ($1.75)

Old 06-15-2015, 05:06 AM

610 posts, read 802,077 times
You'll be fine, as Progmac said, little gritty for a few blocks after Liberty.

FYI, if you like beer you might want to walk one more block past Findlay and visit Rhinegiest....but I don't think they open until 4pm.

Last edited by cincydave8; 06-15-2015 at 05:25 AM..

Old 06-15-2015, 08:24 AM

236 posts, read 320,680 times
Perfectly fine during the day. Like others have said, parts of OTR are a bit gritty but nothing to worry about. I might suggest walking to Washington Park and walking North on either Race or Pleasant Street. It will provide a little more shade and a more pleasant walk. Going down Vine would be nice as well, plenty of shops and new businesses. Enjoy your stay!

Old 06-19-2015, 09:26 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,335,370 times
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I had been to the gentrified part of Vine St. on previous visits, and even a few days ago I got back up that way and visited Holtman's Donuts and other places, but never walked beyond the area where the Kroger's Grocery is. It turns out that, yeah, it's pretty gritty from there to the Market, but not that big of a deal.

Tucker's is a nice breakfast/luncheonette type place with lots of local color, and the Market (and its perimeter) sure has a lot to offer-- too bad there aren't more patrons there, though.

OTR sure has come a long way over the past few years. Several years ago I made it over to the Coffee Emporium on Central Pkway, but walking north of there was rather daunting. 3 or 4 years ago I saw that restaurants and bars were being established on some N-S streets just north of the Pkway, and now the development really shows. There are still a lot of poor people loitering and begging (downtown, too), and there are many more gorgeous buildings to restore, but these signs all look positive to me.

One of these days I hope to come back to Cincy and see more neighborhoods-- I've only been able to come here on work assignments that keep me cooped up every day from morning 'til evening.

Thanks again.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:05 AM

410 posts, read 589,960 times
I have to admit I don't think I've ever been to Findlay Market on a weekday so I can't comment on how busy it usually is. I will have to put it on my list of things to do during the week this summer. Hope you managed to stay dry- our weather has been awful the last couple of days.

Thanks for letting us know how it went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati