U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2015, 01:57 PM

16 posts, read 23,446 times

Advertisements

Hello

We will be relocating in 3 months from the UK. Can anyone recommend the best Catholic or public elementary schools please in the Cincinnati area? This will really help me identify which area to live.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 02:06 PM

410 posts, read 478,597 times
Hi majjsu,
Cincinnati is a good sized city. Tell us where your employment will be or possibly what type of neighborhood you'd prefer. There are many great school districts and a plethora of good private schools.

This will help us narrow down what to suggest.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:08 PM

Hello

The place of work will be Downtown. With regards to area, not really sure as was thinking go with the best schools and take it from there. If I had the choice, a family location if that makes sense. Thanks for such a fast reply!

Old 07-10-2015, 02:40 PM

601 posts, read 403,514 times
Summit Country Day and St. Mary's in Hyde Park are solid.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:41 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,964,715 times
Our Lady of the Visitation and St. Jude are excellent options on the westside.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:48 PM

Thank you so much shotcall and American Luxury for making those suggestions. Will check those out.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:22 PM

410 posts, read 478,597 times
I second checking out St. Mary's in Hyde Park and Summit Country Day (also in Hyde Park). St. Mary's is a very nice parish based grade school (K-8th grade) while Summit Country Day (k-12th grade)is an elite private school without a parish attached.

While you're in the neighborhood, I would also suggest Hyde Park School which is part of Cincinnati Public Schools. It is grades k-6 and serves as a neighborhhod school as well as Cincinnati Gifted Academy. Many of the families are international which provides a more diverse community.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:35 PM

Hello mimi in cinci, thank you so much for your recommendations too. It really is appreciated.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:48 PM

688 posts, read 963,527 times
Identifying the "best" Catholic elementary school is going to be tough. For one, they are run by the Archdiocese of Cincinnati therefore will have similar, if not identical, curriculums. Like many public schools, it is probably going to boil down to the socio-economic demographics that feed into the schools, with one significant caveat - you're electing (paying) to attend a parochial school. This more often than not translates into engaged parents, a higher-than-average household income, and if a student perpetually misbehaves they can be tossed out of school. Contrast this with public districts where the students may or may not have parents that are involved, many students attend as a form of public-assisted daycare, and repeat offenders are often given significant opportunities to come back to school before being expelled for good.

My advice would simply be to look at the neighborhoods with more favorable demographics. Anything east of I-71 should be fine. I doubt you will find much difference in the parochial school serving Madeira or Sycamore Township as the ones serving Loveland or Landen. It's all pretty much going to be excellent according to state rankings.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:02 AM

Hello Zen Master, thank you for your comments. You have hit the nail on the head, in theory I was hoping for an easy answer but in practice it is hard, especially as I don't know the area, nor the differences in education, as my 5 year old is at a Catholic primary school in the UK, which is a public school and no fees are paid. I was hoping to do like for like. I wanted to compare the differences between public versus private, as I have never had to pay a school before. I think we get the opportunity to come and visit, was hoping to tie down the schools/areas to view. So will look at your suggestions.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: