Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 09:15 PM

29 posts, read 37,554 times

Advertisements

Haven't lived in Ohio for 8 years. Heard Delta downsized the hub to one of the smallest. Is the airport even used? Y'all ever fly out of it, or go to nearby larger airports?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 06:25 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,830,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGuy1 View Post
Haven't lived in Ohio for 8 years. Heard Delta downsized the hub to one of the smallest. Is the airport even used? Y'all ever fly out of it, or go to nearby larger airports?
What nearby larger airports? You think anybody is going to Chicago or Detroit to take a flight? Dayton, Columbus, Indianapolis, Louisville are all smaller than CVG. Lexington is almost nonexistent.

Everyone makes too big a deal out of CVG. Local passenger traffic was up by a good percentage last year. DHL moved back to CVG when they left Wilmington, so freight traffic is up. Sure when Delta merged with Northwest who had just made a major financial investment in the Detroit airport, they made a purely business decision to use Detroit as their secondary eastern hub and phase out CVG. Considering Detroit is further from Atlanta Hartsfield, this made sense to me.

But what exactly does a hub buy you anyway? Sure more flights to more cities. But don't forget, the vast majority of the passengers are just passing through, changing flights to somewhere else. They are not stopping in Cincinnati, doing business in Cincinnati, spending money in Cincinnati, etc.

Another significant factor was the decline of the regional jet. Comair was a pioneer in the business, now they are gone, defunct, kaput. Why? Because the most popular regional jets were horribly inefficient to operate. I called them the flying sewer pipes. Pure engine power and resulting fuel kept them in the air. Once fuel prices escalated they became prohibitively expensive to operate for their ROI. BTW, ever wonder where all those planes went?

CVG is still holding its weight. Not to the degree of convenience as when it was a major hub. But in comparison to all of the surrounding airports of similar size, I feel doing OK.

How many of you remember flying American Eagle on a Shorts Bros. plane in say the 60s/70s? Now that was an adventure to be remembered. I couldn't believe the framework was actually wood. Felt like I was flying with the Wright Brothers.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:44 AM

1,716 posts, read 3,590,276 times
We use CVG pretty much every time we fly, but that isn't too often. That last time we didn't use CVG was in 2002, when my parents went to Dayton to go to Hawaii. The last time we flew was in 2012 when we went to San Diego. There was a layover a LAX, though.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
We use CVG pretty much every time we fly, but that isn't too often. That last time we didn't use CVG was in 2002, when my parents went to Dayton to go to Hawaii. The last time we flew was in 2012 when we went to San Diego. There was a layover a LAX, though.
That is a significant point. Many people do not fly frequently. My latest flight was from Melbourne, FL to Lawton, OK, round trip. My reason was to go to Lawton and assist my middle daughter with the birth of her youngest child, that is babysit the other two. But first I drive the wife to Palm Bay, FL to where the youngest daughter lives.

Naturally, I must first fly from Melbourne to Atlanta and change planes. Then, amazingly I get a podunk flying sewer pipe directly from Atlanta to Lawton. Guess the military fly enough people to keep at least one flight a day in operation. Yes, my son-in-law was in Iraq, and here I am on my way to Lawton.
But that is what dad's are for.

After my tenure there, returned to Melbourne and drove the wife back to Cincinnati. Likely my last ever plane ride. The wife now needs a power wheelchair for mobility. Do you know just what a hassle that is? Forget air travel. From the arrival at the airport to the departure at the other end, what a nightmare.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:44 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,538,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGuy1 View Post
I fly all the time and I used CVG regularly. If there's a better direct flight at DAY that takes less time, I'll fly out of there. Delta has treated me very well. I average one delayed flight out of my last 20 flights. It's one of the most expensive airports and for good reason. They know what the hell they are doing there.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:37 PM

465 posts, read 660,157 times
One of the major reasons Toyota cited for moving operations to Dallas (besides the monetary incentives handed out) was the ability to make direct flights from DFW to all of its North American operations facilities plus Japan. If CVG was more of an international airline hub, the region would be better able to attract and retain international business. I'm not sure what the airport itself could do to improve the amount of routes, but as it stands, CVG doesn't really take away from the region's economic interest, but it also doesn't add nearly as much as hub airports like Dallas, Atlanta or O'Hare.

Personally, unless I'm crunched for time, I always check Dayton, Indy, Louisville and Columbus for better fares and/or more direct routes before purchasing tickets. Dayton and Columbus often wind up being more economical, particularly flying west, while Indy and Louisville never have been.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:04 PM

^^ So what is your specific point? CVG is no longer a hub airport. So what do you say they should do? The airports don't decide to be hubs, the airlines decide where the hubs will be. For my money I will avoid Atlanta, Dallas-Fort Worth, and O'hare anytime I can. Flying through there is like going to the dentist and geting an extraction.

During its hub days CVG was pleasant to travel through, mainly due to the fact we had flights to everywhere. So enlighten us, what should CVG be going right now, today, to enhance its image?

Old 05-10-2014, 09:39 PM

324 posts, read 403,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
What nearby larger airports? You think anybody is going to Chicago or Detroit to take a flight? Dayton, Columbus, Indianapolis, Louisville are all smaller than CVG. Lexington is almost nonexistent.
CMH and IND are busier than CVG, which had a little over 5 million passengers in 2013.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:12 AM

465 posts, read 660,157 times
Quote:
^^ So what is your specific point? CVG is no longer a hub airport. So what do you say they should do? The airports don't decide to be hubs, the airlines decide where the hubs will be. For my money I will avoid Atlanta, Dallas-Fort Worth, and O'hare anytime I can. Flying through there is like going to the dentist and geting an extraction.

During its hub days CVG was pleasant to travel through, mainly due to the fact we had flights to everywhere. So enlighten us, what should CVG be going right now, today, to enhance its image?
I don't claim to be a guru, I said I wasn't sure since like you, I see this as mostly the result of a struggling airline's business decision. The new terminal helps, before any non-Delta flights would be cramped into Terminal 2, which didn't have the amenities of Terminal 3 and felt like a sardine can on busy days. On that note, I think the airport shouldn't have tied itself so much to Delta in the first place, that wound up making it difficult for competitors and left the region vulnerable to Delta's own condition. Had more been done earlier to woo discount carriers like Southwest or JetBlue, the diversity of routes in and out might be better right now. It's good that Allegiant's coming in, but it still likely won't be enough. More competition benefits the airport and the region, less benefits a specific airline like Delta.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:18 AM

17,632 posts, read 13,420,761 times
Quote:
How can you avoid ATL, DFW, ORD, DTW anymore? Almost impossible since DL cut direct flights from CVG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati