Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 07:35 AM

26 posts, read 30,744 times

Advertisements

Which of these areas do you think is the safest - Wyoming, Hyde Park/Mount Lookout, or Amberley. I am considering all of these areas to live in and wanted to know since realtors say they can't tell you. Just looking at crime report numbers doesn't tell the whole story either. I want to avoid any violent crimes and ppl breaking into my house particularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 08:10 AM

26 posts, read 39,596 times
Violent crime seems relatively unlikely in any of them. B&E can happen anywhere though. I wouldn't worry about getting broken into in Hyde Park or Mt Lookout anymore than I would in some small town out in Brown County. It happens everywhere but I would certainly not be the least bit concerned about it in any of those areas really. Getting your car broken into might be a little more likely than your home but no more so in any one of those areas vs the rest. If you're renting, get a top floor apartment in Hyde Park with a garage and you'll never have to think about your house or car getting broken into. Maybe you should also consider Mariemont.

Old 10-24-2015, 01:54 PM

245 posts, read 333,141 times
Amberley, no doubt.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:16 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
I'm as risk-averse as anyone you'll find, and I think all the areas you mentioned are safe. I would probably put Amberly as safest, then Wyoming, then Hyde Park and Mt. Lookout. An astounding number of people in better residential areas become burglary/theft victims because they don't bother locking their doors, or leave their garage doors up and unattended. I don't think you asked about cars on the street, but some break-ins are just a fact of life in an urban environment and I don't think any neighborhood is upscale enough to be immune. Again, I lot of people seem to be stupid about leaving electronics, GPS, etc. in plain sight.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:14 AM

26 posts, read 30,744 times
To further clarify and get more details on safety. If I was leaving a restaurant after dusk to late evening or from a friend's house and was walking home, which area would be safest? Or running in the early morning? I think the answers you provided above still hold firm but was still checking.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:55 AM

610 posts, read 797,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_boxster View Post
To further clarify and get more details on safety. If I was leaving a restaurant after dusk to late evening or from a friend's house and was walking home, which area would be safest? Or running in the early morning? I think the answers you provided above still hold firm but was still checking.
I live in Hyde Park, a few blocks down from the square. I have walked home plenty of nights around midnight from the square and never felt in danger. Some side streets can be a little dark because the old gas lamps don't give off much light. Running early will not be a problem. I walk my dog at 6:20ish every morning and there are always plenty runners and walkers out at that time. Honestly, the amount of people that walk/run around Hyde Park still surprises me and I've lived here for over 2 years. Nothing to worry about.

Last edited by cincydave8; 10-26-2015 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 10-26-2015, 08:30 AM

24 posts, read 25,836 times
I have done both and felt perfectly safe in Wyoming.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:11 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
Certain streets in Amberley are not very safe at all times of the day. There is little crime, but most of the village doesn't have street lights or sidewalks. There is very little traffic on the residential side streets, but Ridge, Galbraith, and Section can be dangerous for pedestrians. That being said, I walk my dogs every morning at 5:30 and my wife, when she's not 8 months pregnant, goes running in the dark all of the time without feeling unsafe.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:37 PM

5 posts, read 4,148 times
Mariemont and Hyde Park are better choices however you will pay more to live there. I always call the local police dept and ask if I am serious about any property. It doesn't matter to them if you live there or not so you will get an unbiased opinion. Ask what type of calls they get and they will generally tell you that and how many times they have been dispatched to an area and why. Wyoming and Amberly are OK areas as well, but to me I prefer Mariemont and Hyde Park. In any area you have to practice common sense street smarts.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:21 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,543,045 times
You're splitting hairs. There is no measurable difference between any of these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati