Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 10:57 AM

1,008 posts, read 868,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrosen View Post
1. at least you are acknowledging that you just made that figure up
2. assaulting someone isn't the same as "pulling... people from their cars and savagely beating them"

Made up? Did you watch the video... You can clearly see that dozens of people were victims of assaults, having been pulled from cars and savagely beaten. I doubt they captured every single incident of such an attack, on camera. The fact that they filmed several dozen such attacks, and victims came forward to the tune of several hundred, speaks volumes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 11:30 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,120,382 times
So what exactly is your point? Did you wake up this morning and think "well, the area in Mentor Ohio is really kinda boring and I need to find something to do today, so I'm going to tick off a bunch of proud Cincinnati residents" ?? The FBI said this, the police said that, the numbers say this, What else do you have other than the riots of 2001 which happened 8 years ago in April?? And just so you understand things, the riots were was NOT because Cincinnati is unsafe is happened because the of the frustrations of the community about the death of young men who were killed by police or died in police custody. So, what else you got

Old 01-22-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
So what exactly is your point? Did you wake up this morning and think "well, the area in Mentor Ohio is really kinda boring and I need to find something to do today, so I'm going to tick off a bunch of proud Cincinnati residents" ?? The FBI said this, the police said that, the numbers say this, What else do you have other than the riots of 2001 which happened 8 years ago in April?? And just so you understand things, the riots were was NOT because Cincinnati is unsafe is happened because the of the frustrations of the community about the death of young men who were killed by police or died in police custody. So, what else you got

People get mad at the police, so the way to show that rage is to attack random White people? Lovely...

You're proud of Cincinnati? Okay...

What else do I got? What else do I need... The numbers speak for themselves... Cincinnati made the top 25 list for most dangerous cities, in 2006 and again in 2007. It barely managed to get off the list for 2008. It is still a very violent and very dangerous city. The numbers don't lie.

Just because Mentor doesn't have riots and mobs of uniformed Black Panthers and Nation of Islam thugs, charging down the streets, beating people up because they are White, does not mean that Mentor is boring. I don't need a daily commute that is reminiscent of the Battle of Mogadishu, to have excitement in my life.

If you want to be proud of a city where community involvement entails gathering rocks and bricks and throwing them at the first White people you see, you go ahead and be proud, that's your right. However, it's also my right to call foul on that, and to point out how nasty, vile, disgusting, and illogical such behavior is.

"We're mad at the police, let's throw rocks at random crackas', that'll show the police!" If that is the prevalent logic in Cincinnati, it is no wonder businesses have been leaving that area for years.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:46 AM

710 posts, read 3,033,270 times
^we get it you don't like black people.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:48 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
People get mad at the police, so the way to show that rage is to attack random White people? Lovely...

You're proud of Cincinnati? Okay...

What else do I got? What else do I need... The numbers speak for themselves... Cincinnati made the top 25 list for most dangerous cities, in 2006 and again in 2007. It barely managed to get off the list for 2008. It is still a very violent and very dangerous city. The numbers don't lie.

Just because Mentor doesn't have riots and mobs of uniformed Black Panthers and Nation of Islam thugs, charging down the streets, beating people up because they are White, does not mean that Mentor is boring. I don't need a daily commute that is reminiscent of the Battle of Mogadishu, to have excitement in my life.

If you want to be proud of a city where community involvement entails gathering rocks and bricks and throwing them at the first White people you see, you go ahead and be proud, that's your right. However, it's also my right to call foul on that, and to point out how nasty, vile, disgusting, and illogical such behavior is.

"We're mad at the police, let's throw rocks at random crackas', that'll show the police!" If that is the prevalent logic in Cincinnati, it is no wonder businesses have been leaving that area for years.
Just for the record, if it even matters, I am a white female.
I did not like the 2001 riots and I hope they never happen here or anywhere else again. But why cant people move forward? Guess all that matters is the people in Cincinnati ARE TRYING to move forward and if the rest of people outside the City doesn't see the changes, I'm not going to loose sleep over it.
Although I respect your opinion, I dont respect your approach.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
^we get it you don't like black people.

I don't like it when people A- attack me simply because of what I am (a White Christian male) or B- presume to know what I am about or what I believe.

The Cincinnati riots, in my opinion, was an instance where the Black community sent a clear message to the White community, that being, "we don't want you in Cincinnati." Since then, lots of White business owners have closed down and left town. Now the Blacks are belly-aching that the city is lacking money, job opportunities are gone, and many of the old shops are gone.

Maybe they should have thought of that before they randomly attacked innocent White people. Granted, it wasn't every Black person who attacked White people, I never implied, let alone explicitly stated, that such was the case. However, it wasn't every White person who shot that young man in the alley that night, it was a single cop. Hundreds of Blacks flew into a rage over the actions of one man, directed their rage against the White community as a whole, and now bitterly complain that Whites have left and are leaving the city, taking their money and businesses with them.

If that's how some people want to behave, they shouldn't wonder why their city falls apart as thousands of other people, from the groups they have targeted for hatred and violence, rush to flee at the first chance.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:57 AM

710 posts, read 3,033,270 times
When have you been attacked for being Christian?

Old 01-22-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
Just for the record, if it even matters, I am a white female.
I did not like the 2001 riots and I hope they never happen here or anywhere else again. But why cant people move forward? Guess all that matters is the people in Cincinnati ARE TRYING to move forward and if the rest of people outside the City doesn't see the changes, I'm not going to loose sleep over it.
Although I respect your opinion, I dont respect your approach.

How can you possibly move forward when your neighbors attack you at the first chance they get, the first time that general law and order breaks down, just because you are of a different race.

Would you expect Blacks to look forward to living next to Whites if the Whites had attacked them the first time they had the chance?

The Black community in Cincinnati showed the world the color of its heart, a poisoned heart as black (no pun intended) as could be. They rose up and brutally assaulted their White neighors, local White business owners who doubtlessly did business with them on a regular basis.

Once that sort of betrayal happens, there's no going forward to some better place, there's no going back to the way things were, all that can happen is I pack up and leave, or I strike back in a very nasty way. Most people thus far have elected to pack up and leave. Why do you think the Over-The-Rhine community is drying up and blowing away?

If your neighbor torches your house and then says, "oh my bad, let's move forward and get beyond this" how can you ever do that? How could you ever want to do that?

The first chance they had they went on a "kill whitey" frenzy and attacked as many as they could get their hands on. How can things ever go back to normal? After that, who can even say what normal is... People you worked with, people whose kids your kids went to school with, people you lived near, attacking you the first chance they get... I don't know what the point of no return looks like, but I imagine something like that is probably pretty close.

As I see it, trust is something that a community cannot truly function without. There is no trust in Cincinnati, and there's no prospect of it being rebuilt anytime soon. Once the people who live a street or two away, torch your house and try to kill you, it will be nigh on impossible to ever trust them again.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
When have you been attacked for being Christian?

It's happened a few times, I've had militant homosexuals throw things at me and threaten to physically attack me since I was discussing the bible with some of my friends, in a private setting, and the homosexuals didn't like what I was saying. One of them was nearly arrested after he said he was going to punch me the next time he saw me (the police told him if he didn't leave the area and leave me alone he'd be going to jail).

I also lost a job because my gay boss heard what I thought about gays, despite the fact my work performance was stellar. However, I suppose it was his right to decide who he keeps on as an employee. I ultimately was able to get a better job, elsewhere, with nicer people, and I was happier in the long-run. But the fact remains, I've never discriminated against gays, but I have been on the receiving end of discrimination (as well as violence), from them.

I respect the rights of others to have their own viewpoints, but I've found that the most "tolerant" and "liberal" of people often have little respect for viewpoints that are drastically different from their own. They talk about peace, love, tolerance, happiness, but then they'll crack your skull if they find out that you disagree with their quasi-religious new-age views.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:37 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,882,358 times
Just to add some facts in this argument. Especially for OhioUberAlles.

Cincinnatis crime rate has been going down almost steadily since 2001, the year of the riots.

That riot happened once, and how many other riots like that happened in Cincinnati in the last 30 years? Cincinnati also wasnt the only city where race riots happened in the 21st century, even Toledo had some degree of race riots a few years back.

This year Cincinnati was ranked as the 28th most dangerous city: http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/City...8_Rank_Rev.pdf
The Cincinnati Metros crime rate is actually below the national average: http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/Metr...8_Rank_Rev.pdf

Cincinnati is also a majority-white city. It was 53% and the new estimates say around 51%. The Cincinnati Metro also has one of the highest white percentages of all the large metros (near 90%). I have to find the link again, but I believe it was top 3 out of 40-something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati