Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 08:39 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,718,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot05 View Post
This is an estimate only. Since 2000, estimates are Cincinnati will have gained a whopping 2,000 people as of 2008. Again, until the census comes out, that is just an estimate. Before that, Cincinnati shrunk in population for 5 straight decades.

A couple of points:

A) More than likely we never had the decline that was originally reported (google U.S. Census + Palm Pilot + Idiots).

B) Look at a list of the top 25 cities, now come back here and list the ones that grew in '08.

C) From the list in point "B" list the cities from the "top 25" that are at or more than their original population half a century ago.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 08:16 AM

221 posts, read 437,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
A couple of points:

A) More than likely we never had the decline that was originally reported (google U.S. Census + Palm Pilot + Idiots).

B) Look at a list of the top 25 cities, now come back here and list the ones that grew in '08.

C) From the list in point "B" list the cities from the "top 25" that are at or more than their original population half a century ago.

I would do all of that if it had anything to do with my point. Cincinnati declined in population for 50 years, and it is only estimated to have grown by 2,000 people in the last decade, yet you defend this city has not shrinking. That was my point. Dont get me wrong, I love Cincinnati. But having lived in the burbs outside of 275 and living within the city limits now, I understand why people left in the first place.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I would do all of that if it had anything to do with my point. Cincinnati declined in population for 50 years, and it is only estimated to have grown by 2,000 people in the last decade, yet you defend this city has not shrinking. That was my point. Dont get me wrong, I love Cincinnati. But having lived in the burbs outside of 275 and living within the city limits now, I understand why people left in the first place.
Using my criteria above, you could just say:

Quote:
I would do all of that if it had anything to do with my point. __insert city here__ declined in population for 50 years...
Again, are you sure it was decline or did we really not gain as much as was reported? Maybe we never lost as many as was reported?

I want to see proof. I'm not asking for much.

*I'm assuming you never searched google: U.S. Census + Palm Pilot + Idiots...

Old 08-17-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Using my criteria above, you could just say:

Again, are you sure it was decline or did we really not gain as much as was reported? Maybe we never lost as many as was reported?

I want to see proof. I'm not asking for much.

*I'm assuming you never searched google: U.S. Census + Palm Pilot + Idiots...
Cincinnati - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Google Cincinnati population and a bunch of stuff comes up.

I still have no idea what you're talking about with the us census palm pilot idiots though... I did try to look that up

Old 08-17-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
What the hell are you trying to show me???

Quote:

Google Cincinnati population and a bunch of stuff comes up.
No way, are you serious?

Quote:

I still have no idea what you're talking about with the us census palm pilot idiots though... I did try to look that up
Search took .2378883 seconds.

Problems with census PDAs could prompt a return to pencil and paper

Census Bureau goes forward with plans to ditch PDAs

U.S. Census admits to "problems" in its counts. Not only Cincinnati, but other cities have challenged the Census, but not only challenged the Census -they won.

Either one of two things occured:

A) Cincinnati was never losing population at the pace that was originally recorded.

Or....

B) Cincinnati was one of the few major metros to actually show a growth versus a decline.

According to the press release of the Cincy challenge (where entire neighborhoods were left off (City West anyone?) ... I'm going to go with "A".

If 90% of America's most populous cities lost residents for "X" amount of years instead of 10% per sè, then we have a U.S. problem (Green Belt ring a bell? ... think back 1940-50's) or shift in American culture versus a local issue.

This really isn't me asking you a few questions, this is me telling you that you are in over your head if you want to challenge a debate with me on this topic. Next!

Old 08-18-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
What the hell are you trying to show me???

No way, are you serious?

Search took .2378883 seconds.

Problems with census PDAs could prompt a return to pencil and paper

Census Bureau goes forward with plans to ditch PDAs

U.S. Census admits to "problems" in its counts. Not only Cincinnati, but other cities have challenged the Census, but not only challenged the Census -they won.

Either one of two things occured:

A) Cincinnati was never losing population at the pace that was originally recorded.

Or....

B) Cincinnati was one of the few major metros to actually show a growth versus a decline.

According to the press release of the Cincy challenge (where entire neighborhoods were left off (City West anyone?) ... I'm going to go with "A".

If 90% of America's most populous cities lost residents for "X" amount of years instead of 10% per sè, then we have a U.S. problem (Green Belt ring a bell? ... think back 1940-50's) or shift in American culture versus a local issue.

This really isn't me asking you a few questions, this is me telling you that you are in over your head if you want to challenge a debate with me on this topic. Next!
I was showing you the huge population decrease in the past 50 years. If you took the time to scroll down.

Over my head... dude, you're trying to defend a population decrease over 50 years being inaccurate by claiming it was because of PDA's.

Try making up an excuse with technology that was actually around.

Heck, your original argmument was Cincinnati was not decreasing. I said, it decreased for 50 years, the recent increase since 2000 is an estimate. Then you start talking about PDA's being wrong. Wtf does that have to do with the population decreasing during a period of time when PDA's werent even around.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I was showing you the huge population decrease in the past 50 years. If you took the time to scroll down.

Over my head... dude, you're trying to defend a population decrease over 50 years being inaccurate by claiming it was because of PDA's.

Try making up an excuse with technology that was actually around.

Heck, your original argmument was Cincinnati was not decreasing. I said, it decreased for 50 years, the recent increase since 2000 is an estimate. Then you start talking about PDA's being wrong. Wtf does that have to do with the population decreasing during a period of time when PDA's werent even around.

... very intelligent post!

Let's see, respond to part of the post and ignore the rest? Gotcha.

Like I said, take the U.S.'s largest cities, and post the one's that did not shrink. Obviously, you can omit cities that annexed (but old-city populations can still be calculated).

Have you really never heard of "White Flight"? Where exactly do you think that term comes from? Do you think this term was created in Cincinnati? You have a lot of studying to do ... and while you're at it, research Green Belts as well.

Your comment earlier alluded to this being a Cincinnati problem, when in fact it was an American one -and that's my point. Although, we are one of the few old cities to reverse the trend.

This image is also interesting ... notice the population change from streetcar system to no streetcar system:

Old 08-19-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
... very intelligent post!

Let's see, respond to part of the post and ignore the rest? Gotcha.

Like I said, take the U.S.'s largest cities, and post the one's that did not shrink. Obviously, you can omit cities that annexed (but old-city populations can still be calculated).

Have you really never heard of "White Flight"? Where exactly do you think that term comes from? Do you think this term was created in Cincinnati? You have a lot of studying to do ... and while you're at it, research Green Belts as well.

Your comment earlier alluded to this being a Cincinnati problem, when in fact it was an American one -and that's my point. Although, we are one of the few old cities to reverse the trend.

This image is also interesting ... notice the population change from streetcar system to no streetcar system:
Who cares about other cities... we were talking about Cincinnati. I agree that other cities are shrinking... when did I say it was only Cincinnati that was shrinking?

Who cares about white flight... I know what that is. You're just throwing out terms to try to deflect my original argument that Cincinnati had shrunk the last 50 years.. and it is estimated that it will increase in population this decade. Thats all I said. And for some reason you keep bringing up other cities, white flight, and green belts.

Also, I dont think streetcars had anything to do with the population decrease, but since you support it, I can see why you threw it in there.

The city decreased in population because of the advent of the interstate system and better auto technology. People could live outside the city and commute without any trouble. They no longer had to depend on the cities. Thats just basic knowledge.

I doubt anyone moved further away from the city because the street cars were closed. Anyone dependent on them would not move outside the city.

Maybe theres a few that got pissed and moved to San Francisco so they could have their street cars.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:56 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,832,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey_too_expensive View Post
Sorry, I'm usually very positive, but during the past 14 months, the following have made the transition to life in Cincinnati more difficult than it ought to be:

1) You people can't drive. Really. Either you're racing past us at 100mph on the highway, or you're queuing up behind someone who's turning left -- and you sit there forever rather than going around them to the right. Either way, you almost never use your turn signals.

2) Speaking of turn signals: would it kill you to put some left-turn arrows at your major traffic light intersections? It is unbelievable how many busy intersections around here don't have such a simple and logical item.

3) Speaking of intersections: who is the genius that came up with the mess that is the Glenway/Crookshank/Boudinot/Glenhills Way "intersection"? What the heck were they thinking?

4) You haven't got a clue how to design a retail parking lot. There are either far too many or far too few spaces, no sense of traversal path, and where there are paths, poorly marked lane lines.

5) Plow your streets! You want to build a streetcar system but you can't even maintain your existing roads and infrastructure!

6) Shovel your sidewalks! Where we come from, clearing your sidewalk (the portion in front of your residence) is the law. Here, 95% of the sidewalk is a sheet of ice/snow whenever such precipitation presents itself. Get outside and shovel!

OK, enough with the rant. Sorry, but I needed to get that out of the way. Been bugging me for a long time now.
Oh for heaven's sake! Have a bowl of Skyling chili at the nearest chili parlor and then top it off with an ice cream cone from United Dairy Farmers and chill why don't ya!

Old 08-19-2009, 09:31 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,773 times
Quote:

Ya, its called urban sprawl. Its a nation wide event that has ruined America's farmland and countryside, and has left American cities to rival the suburbs. People need to start realizing this is a national thing.

Go out to Phoenix, Atlanta, Miami. You want to see sprawl and nasty suburban crap, go there.

People that left Cincy for the suburbs are idiots in my opinion, and when I visit Cincy, I see no reason at all why they left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati