Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 09:07 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times

Advertisements

I miss shopping at Kroger. I said so to the manager of the neighborhood Safeway just the other day. Robber barons, with a crappy inventory to boot.

Quote:
And what's the deal with people waving at you after you honk your horn at them? I never understood that.
LMAO ... That's their way of flipping you the bird! I do that a lot here (in Philly). Nothing ticks drivers off more around here, because they're expecting some dramatic middle-finger display. All they get from me is a smile and a wave. Heh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 09:24 AM

269 posts, read 778,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

LMAO ... That's their way of flipping you the bird! I do that a lot here (in Philly). Nothing ticks drivers off more around here, because they're expecting some dramatic middle-finger display. All they get from me is a smile and a wave. Heh.
Lol. I figured that's what it was but I wasn't sure. And you know what, you are exactly right about the wave thing. I would rather someone just give me the one finger salute versus waving and smiling at me. It's funny how the wave has more of an effect than the middle finger.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:15 PM

860 posts, read 1,357,653 times
Ok, I already filled out 10 things I like about Cincy. Now on to my annoyances

1.) Not enough diversity, although my group of friends look like the united nations. Cincy is mainly black and white

2.) The lack of mass transit, yet the city itself is pedestrian friendly. I can't understand this. Cities like Indianapolis and Phoenix would kill to have urban walkable neighborhoods like Cincy, and they're all pro-rail transit.

3.) Why the hell do soooo many people here have a staring problem. WTF are you looking at

4.) 1-75 = Fail, Cincy/N.Ky airport= Fail, Metro= Fail (infastructure upgrade time )

5.) Wish there were more younger people

6.) Also wish that nightlife and entertainment were more diverse. Although Mr. Pitifuls is

Old 04-26-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
Ok, I already filled out 10 things I like about Cincy. Now on to my annoyances

1.) Not enough diversity, although my group of friends look like the united nations. Cincy is mainly black and white

2.) The lack of mass transit, yet the city itself is pedestrian friendly. I can't understand this. Cities like Indianapolis and Phoenix would kill to have urban walkable neighborhoods like Cincy, and they're all pro-rail transit.

3.) Why the hell do soooo many people here have a staring problem. WTF are you looking at

4.) 1-75 = Fail, Cincy/N.Ky airport= Fail, Metro= Fail (infastructure upgrade time )

5.) Wish there were more younger people

6.) Also wish that nightlife and entertainment were more diverse. Although Mr. Pitifuls is
I agree with everything you said except for #3. I haven't noticed the staring problem. In fact, I've found it to be just the opposite. Like in most other cities, I've found most people do not make eye contact, which I have no problem with.

I have also noticed the amount of 'older' people here. It is a direct result of the "brain drain" phenomenon affecting Cincinnati and most of Ohio. There seems to be a gap between the 18-40 year old demographic. You can find a lot of 'kids' under 18 and a lot of adults over the ages of 40. I haven't looked at any stats or graphs but just by looking around, there seems to be a significantly smaller population of the 18-35 crowd.

You would think with the universities in the region, they would be able to attract a lot of people from different regions. The people who do come to the region from different states usually end up leaving immediately after graduation or shortly after.

Cincinnati just cannot hold on to college grads or people for that matter. Within the past 2 1/2 years, I've had about 9 co-workers and friends move out of the state to either the southeast or west coast. There is Xavier, UC, and Miami, it is inexcusable as to why Cincinnati is barely gaining residents.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:12 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high mileage View Post
Cincinnati just cannot hold on to college grads or people for that matter.
Seems you read almost every city is talking about this issue. Where are all the college grads going???

Old 04-27-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Seems you read almost every city is talking about this issue. Where are all the college grads going???
Yeah I know. With the exception of Chicago and a few other smaller cities, "brain drain" is plaguing the midwest. The northeast isn't fairing all that well either in retaining college grads, but it's not nearly on the level as the midwest. The midwest seems to pratically be in 'panic mode' in attempting to retain and attract new residents.

As for where everyone is going, I can't say for sure. From my graduating class though, there was a noticable amount of graduates that moved to the Carolinas and Arizona. Everytime I go down to SC, I notice a plethora of Ohio plates.

There was a website some angry SC residents created titled "gobacktoohio.com." I think it has since been removed.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:46 AM

279 posts, read 717,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high mileage View Post
I agree with everything you said except for #3. I haven't noticed the staring problem. In fact, I've found it to be just the opposite. Like in most other cities, I've found most people do not make eye contact, which I have no problem with.

I have also noticed the amount of 'older' people here. It is a direct result of the "brain drain" phenomenon affecting Cincinnati and most of Ohio. There seems to be a gap between the 18-40 year old demographic. You can find a lot of 'kids' under 18 and a lot of adults over the ages of 40. I haven't looked at any stats or graphs but just by looking around, there seems to be a significantly smaller population of the 18-35 crowd.

You would think with the universities in the region, they would be able to attract a lot of people from different regions. The people who do come to the region from different states usually end up leaving immediately after graduation or shortly after.

Cincinnati just cannot hold on to college grads or people for that matter. Within the past 2 1/2 years, I've had about 9 co-workers and friends move out of the state to either the southeast or west coast. There is Xavier, UC, and Miami, it is inexcusable as to why Cincinnati is barely gaining residents.
Yeah, no staring problem here. In fact, it seems like if I'm out walking, I'd say a good 80% of people don't even look up just for a nod, or God forbid, a "hi, how's it goin?". I dunno, I realize not everyone feels the need to do that, but I always find it odd when people don't even glance at you as you pass.

Quote:
Soylent Green?

Old 04-27-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby513 View Post
Yeah, no staring problem here. In fact, it seems like if I'm out walking, I'd say a good 80% of people don't even look up just for a nod, or God forbid, a "hi, how's it goin?". I dunno, I realize not everyone feels the need to do that, but I always find it odd when people don't even glance at you as you pass.

You're lucky. Even my family from out of town complain about the akward looks they get from some people. Thats saying alot considering they're from Chicago, Indy and D.C.

My grandmother from Indy said it's been like that since she was a kid, and she always asks me if people still stare down here lol. It's her biggest gripe with Cincy

Old 04-27-2010, 04:02 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
You're lucky. Even my family from out of town complain about the akward looks they get from some people. Thats saying alot considering they're from Chicago, Indy and D.C.

My grandmother from Indy said it's been like that since she was a kid, and she always asks me if people still stare down here lol. It's her biggest gripe with Cincy
Can't equate with what you are talking about. In my neighborhood, as I am the old fart, whenever I encounter the numerous joggers, etc out for a stroll, they invariably wave and say Hi Neighbor! Do we stop and have a lengthy conversation - NO! Am I happy we just had a short exchange of pleasantries - YES! Some people seem to expect others to fall all over them - Why? If you are here for 30+ years, I may remember your name.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:13 PM

I'm not speakin so much about this happening when walking my dog . I'll get plenty of waves and whatnot, at least in Glendale. I'm speaking more of when I'm driving, at the mall, walking around UC. Doesn't really bother me though, because most of the people that glare are busted down, trashy looking people anyways. Hmmmm, I'm just now connecting the dots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati