Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2010, 08:56 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,270,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider127 View Post
Wasn't French Bauer in Lockland? Or at least parked their trucks there. I can remember seeing a lot of their trucks up around where that Highpoint (?) hamburger place was years ago.
They were originally in Over the Rhine, off Plum Street, I believe. They did move to other locations at some point.

Here is something else I found:

http://arecycledbin.blogspot.com/201...roduction.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 04:54 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,794,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Rider View Post
IMO, their ice cream and burgers were better than the same genre Dairy Queen's.
But so were their prices. I remember the Friendly's in Madeira. Ice Cream was OK, but everything else was overpriced for the quality. When it folded the building was converted into a bank.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:15 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,794,131 times
Can anyone confirm or refute this? I was told years ago when UDF started they were refused a license to operate in Cincinnati by the then powers that be. Norwood, their founding location is of course not Cincinnati. I am told this is the reason their stores ringed the City.

Interesting that UDF and Trauth in Newport are the only remaining locally operated dairies.

Speaking of UDF, how many remember the years of the local strip center housing a UDF, a Thriftway, and a Hunter Savings & Loan, all owned and operated by the Lindners. To me one of the best examples of business sense I have experienced. As they grew, were smart enough to buy into a construction company and build their own buildings. Used the casualty and employee group insurance requirements of these businesses to catapult into the insurance business.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:47 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,828,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
They were originally in Over the Rhine, off Plum Street, I believe. They did move to other locations at some point.

Here is something else I found:

recycleD bin: Senior Project: An Introduction
For many years, until the owner retired, there was an ice cream manufacturer/wholesaler (Mayfair) on West Wyoming Ave on the same block as the Golden Point. I never quite got a handle on what that business's niche was, for they apparently made their own stuff as well as distributed competitor's products. Mayfair Ice Cream - similarly to Klosterman's Bakery (the latter still very much in operation in Bond Hill) - principally sold to restaurants, caterers, etc. Unlike Klosterman's, though, you couldn't find their label on anything in grocery stores. So it could be that they had agreements with UDF, French Bauer, etc to share their client base and marketing knowhow. Untold thousands of wedding celebrations, restaurant dinners, etc in the Tri-State featured Mayfair ice cream for dessert for some sixty-odd years.
William Schuchardt did well with Mayfair, if his family's 12-room house with a gorgeous wraparound porch in Wyoming is any indication.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:41 PM

295 posts, read 974,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
For many years, until the owner retired, there was an ice cream manufacturer/wholesaler (Mayfair) on West Wyoming Ave on the same block as the Golden Point. I never quite got a handle on what that business's niche was, for they apparently made their own stuff as well as distributed competitor's products. Mayfair Ice Cream - similarly to Klosterman's Bakery (the latter still very much in operation in Bond Hill) - principally sold to restaurants, caterers, etc. Unlike Klosterman's, though, you couldn't find their label on anything in grocery stores. So it could be that they had agreements with UDF, French Bauer, etc to share their client base and marketing knowhow. Untold thousands of wedding celebrations, restaurant dinners, etc in the Tri-State featured Mayfair ice cream for dessert for some sixty-odd years.
William Schuchardt did well with Mayfair, if his family's 12-room house with a gorgeous wraparound porch in Wyoming is any indication.
LOL, the Nightrider did it again--got all confused.

Is the house you are talking about located on a Burns Avenue corner? I have seen a house fitting that description before. I was always told that it belonged to the man who founded Stearns & Foster.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:28 PM

The Schuchardt house (it sold a coupla years ago for around $900k) sits a block west of Burns, at 749 Stout Ave (corner of Pendery, opposite the high school.) It's a big wood-frame house, painted white, and more inviting porches are few and far between.
Mr Stearns' mansion is on the street named after him not far south. Dunno which the Foster house might've been, but my folks would probably be aware. I'll ask while I'm in town next week.
But this thread's all about food!
From my long-ago childhood I also remember Sealtest ice cream, but I think that was a national brand.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:37 PM

295 posts, read 974,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
From my long-ago childhood I also remember Sealtest ice cream, but I think that was a national brand.
Yeah, Sealtest was a national brand. We used to buy it in the small Kentucky town that I came from.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:23 AM

"Red necks, white socks, and Blue Ribbon beer!"
And RC Cola and a big Moon Pie.
And Sealtest ice cream!

Where the dessert treat's concerned, we've gone over Graeter's and Aglamesis and UDF (there was even a poll about that) and now Mayfair. Who-all remembers the Ice Cream Bridge at Pogue's downtown?

Old 04-18-2010, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,597 times
Barney's Oakley I worked there after Henry;s close wih rumors of selling horse meat....Barney's was owned by the Goldman family Barney was the dad and Phil and Barney jr the sons.I worked as a clean up person at night first then as a cook then oohh la la manager it was a fun but lo pay gig,Phil spied on us all the time trying to catch us eating left overs ha! We briefly had a Barneys in Middletown which I managed if you want the receipe for our special sause just emailed Bear at [email]Beardf@hotmail.com[/email]

Old 04-18-2010, 08:27 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,468,709 times
Henry's Oakley was the first fast burger place I ever went to. Had to be 1963 or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati