Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2010, 09:45 PM

17,322 posts, read 13,062,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Can anyone confirm or refute this? I was told years ago when UDF started they were refused a license to operate in Cincinnati by the then powers that be. Norwood, their founding location is of course not Cincinnati. I am told this is the reason their stores ringed the City.

Interesting that UDF and Trauth in Newport are the only remaining locally operated dairies.

Speaking of UDF, how many remember the years of the local strip center housing a UDF, a Thriftway, and a Hunter Savings & Loan, all owned and operated by the Lindners. To me one of the best examples of business sense I have experienced. As they grew, were smart enough to buy into a construction company and build their own buildings. Used the casualty and employee group insurance requirements of these businesses to catapult into the insurance business.
This story is true. Cincinnati (to protect local milk producers) had a specific butter fat limit to keep Lindner out. Thats why Lindner opened in Norwood and wouldnt enter Cinci till much later.

Also, for reasons that I am not aware of, the Jewish community supported and Lindner's (UDF) was given Kosher status very quickly.

In gratitude, Carl Lindner, a Baptist, is one of the largest non Jewish contributor to Jewish charities...Still true today
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 09:49 PM

There was another milk and ice cream manufacturer on Montgomery Rd in Norwood. Berlings??

Another great ice cream manufacturer was on paddock (where lateral now crosses. --maybe that is Berlings..I cant remember

Old 04-19-2010, 08:05 PM

526 posts, read 1,475,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCredhead View Post
I remember my parents taking us to the Hitching Post Restaurant in Western Hills every Sunday for late lunch. The best fried chicken I ever had. I believe it was right down the street from Phillip's Swim Club.
Yes you are correct, it was next to Phillips Swim club; They had a great product and always seemed to do a brisk business. The building they were in is now occupied by Lutz Florist.

Rons Roost, location for the most recent meet-up, was also a Hitching Post. The fried chicken they serve now is very similar to Hitching Post.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:57 PM

19 posts, read 53,818 times
Berlings was on Paddock Rd...and last time I was there the building was still standing and the name still etched in the concrete at the top of the building. it's where I learned to love orange sherbet!!

Old 04-21-2010, 10:09 PM

Then what was the Ice Cream manufacturer and shop in Norwood (not lindners?UDF?

My folks used to take us to both places as well as UDF in Golf Manor

Old 04-21-2010, 11:22 PM

88 posts, read 231,777 times
GG - I do, I do remember the Ice Cream Bridge at Pogue's! All pretty colors and knowing there were sweet treats at the end! What more could a little girl ask for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
"Red necks, white socks, and Blue Ribbon beer!"
And RC Cola and a big Moon Pie.
And Sealtest ice cream!

Where the dessert treat's concerned, we've gone over Graeter's and Aglamesis and UDF (there was even a poll about that) and now Mayfair. Who-all remembers the Ice Cream Bridge at Pogue's downtown?

Old 04-25-2010, 02:00 PM

310 posts, read 1,740,542 times
Default Mama Francesca's

Not sure whether this was brought up in another thread, but does anyone remember Mama Francesca's? It was a small, family-run Italian restaurant on Colerain, in or near Mt. Healthy. Thrived in the 60's and 70's.

If I remember correctly, it was only open a few nights a week and had one seating - you ate what was put in front of you. Acquaintances more familiar with Italian cuisine asserted that it was the "real deal".

Old 04-25-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati View Post
Not sure whether this was brought up in another thread, but does anyone remember Mama Francesca's? It was a small, family-run Italian restaurant on Colerain, in or near Mt. Healthy. Thrived in the 60's and 70's.

If I remember correctly, it was only open a few nights a week and had one seating - you ate what was put in front of you. Acquaintances more familiar with Italian cuisine asserted that it was the "real deal".
Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-26-2010, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 12,401 times
How about Pete Rose's place on Westbourne, can't think of the name of it

It was simply called "Pete Rose's Restaurant". I have a PR signed placemat from the place.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:41 AM

3 posts, read 12,401 times
Trolley Tavern and Captain Al's were torn down about 15 to 18 years ago. A United Dairy Farmers is on the site now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati