Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2012, 09:45 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincity View Post
fwiw, Bench's restaurant in Northgate was Johnny Bench's Home Plate Restaurant Malls of America - Vintage photos of lost Shopping Malls of the '50s, '60s & '70s
I certainly agree with your assessment.

I also remember the original Frisch's dinner restaurant across the street from Kenwood Plaza at the southwest corner of Montgomery and Kenwood Rds was called Annette's, named after Dave Frisch's wife Annette Frisch. After a fire it was rebuilt and renamed Prime 'n Wine. This was during a period when Frisch's was attempting some diversification including the Quality Inn motel and revolving restaurant in Newport (now a Raddison) plus the Quality Inn motel and Dockside VI restaurant in Norwood. Eventually Frisch's concluded this was not their expertise and either closed or sold off the holdings. I remember visiting these locations as they had good offerings at a reasonable price, and it was a good place to take the wife out for a special night.

How many remember the Springdale Music Palace, the home of the Mighty Wurlitzer Organ? It was one of my wife's and my most desirable places to go. The cost was reasonable and the music inspiring. I was really bummed out when it caught fire and the organ console was destroyed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 08:10 AM

9 posts, read 28,677 times
Default Getting a Frisches Big Boy the best we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Absolutely agree with you on the Frisch's recommendation, as there is no Big Boy franchise remaining in the Carolinas, and the few remaining Shoney's have not been affiliated for years. If I was in Cincy, I would definitely frequent Frisch's, as well as the one remaining Roy Rogers, and Skyline Chili.
Ya know...I have gotten a Quarter Poiunder with cheeses and onions only and then used my Frisches tarter sauce...it's okay. Als I order wo McDoubles and ask for their tarter suace. if you ask for the tarter sauce to be put on the sandwich instead of on the side you save 30. If you get a side of tarter sauce make sure it is not the Big Mac sauce.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:14 AM

9 posts, read 28,677 times
I used to work at Roy Rogers while attending Marian High school in Cinncincnnati. Almost got fired fornot saying 'howdy partner' and then atthe end 'happy trails'. How funny. I loved their mocha shakes and cheese burgers. ven their chicken wasn't bad. Go Roy Rogers!

Old 03-11-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisse8 View Post
I used to work at Roy Rogers while attending Marian High school in Cinncincnnati. Almost got fired fornot saying 'howdy partner' and then atthe end 'happy trails'. How funny. I loved their mocha shakes and cheese burgers. ven their chicken wasn't bad. Go Roy Rogers!
Of course Frisch's had to franchise the Roy Rogers brand from the parent company. As it turned out there was just too much overlap between the Roy Rogers and the Big Boy. They are doing much better these days with the Golden Corral brand.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:31 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisse8 View Post
Interesting that you mention Roy Rogers. I just got to thinking about them a couple of days ago for some inexplicable reason. I used to eat there fairly frequently at a restaurant in Connecticut that was down the street from a Domino's Pizza shop that I managed back in the 1980's. I have not seen a Roy Rogers restaurant for years. I don't recall the employees in CT being required to say what you had to say when dealing with a customer though.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:34 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Of course Frisch's had to franchise the Roy Rogers brand from the parent company. As it turned out there was just too much overlap between the Roy Rogers and the Big Boy. They are doing much better these days with the Golden Corral brand.
Why did Frisch's HAVE TO franchise Roy Rogers from Marriott Restaurant Operations (MRO)? As I remember from those days, franchises were OFFERED to the various Big Boy franchisees across the country. Some accepted (JBs in Salt Lake City, Frisch's in Cincinnati); others (Shoney's in Nashville) did not.

In terms of quality of the product, Roy Rogers was probably the best in the industry, especially the fried chicken.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Why did Frisch's HAVE TO franchise Roy Rogers from Marriott Restaurant Operations (MRO)? As I remember from those days, franchises were OFFERED to the various Big Boy franchisees across the country. Some accepted (JBs in Salt Lake City, Frisch's in Cincinnati); others (Shoney's in Nashville) did not.

In terms of quality of the product, Roy Rogers was probably the best in the industry, especially the fried chicken.
It was not that they had to franchise Roy Rogers, nobody forced them to. But in order to operate a Roy Rodgers they had to pay a franchise fee. I am sure part of the decision had to due with what franchise rate existing Big Boy owners where offered for Roy Rogers.

BTW, as Frisch's was the original franchisee of the Big Boy from the originator, Bob's Big Boy in California in 1948. They had rights to the Big Boy originally in 4 states, Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky and Florida (which they gave up in 1990), but for which they did not have to pay a fee other than $1/year. This was because Bob was anxious to have the Big Boy concept spread across the country as it opened up other franchise opportunities. The Marriott Corporation purchased the national Big Boy chain rights in 1967, and the national Roy Rogers chain rights in 1968. Over time the Marriott Corporation was split into multiple companies. In 1987 the Big Boy national rights were sold by Marriott to one of the franchisees, Elias Brothers who moved the headquarters to Warren Michigan. Since then, it has been resold multiple times but I believe the headquarters is still in Warren, Michigan.

Also, just because the national rights to the Big Boy brand, were sold, does not mean the ownership of any actual restaurants changed hands. Also, each individual franchisee organization could have a separate contract expiration date at which time franchise rates could be renegotiated, etc. It is my understanding Frisch's original contract was in perpetuity, meaning no expiration date.

After the Marriott purchase, some franchisees such as Shoney's later decided not only to turn down Roy Rogers franchises, but eventually to drop the Big Boy affiliation and just operate under their own name. Whether this was due to a renegotiation in franchise rates or whether they just concluded the brand name was no longer in their best interests I have no idea. As years have gone on several other regional franchisee chains such as Elbys, etc. decided to do the same. Frisch's remains not only the original franchisee but the largest regional chain.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:17 PM

311 posts, read 1,754,082 times
Default The beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Roger(s) that.

A friend of ours used to manage the one in N. College Hill, next to the Frisch's and the former Ontario store. He said that what distinguished their roast beef from Arby's, their major competitor, was that Arby's used a loaf, while RR used whole cuts.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati View Post
Roger(s) that.

A friend of ours used to manage the one in N. College Hill, next to the Frisch's and the former Ontario store. He said that what distinguished their roast beef from Arby's, their major competitor, was that Arby's used a loaf, while RR used whole cuts.
I don't know what era that was, as I have never seen Arby's slice roast beef from anything but a whole cut. I feel the main problem with Arby's over the years is the lack of quality control. Rarely does the product ever resemble what they show in their ads. After a while you just get fed up and quit going.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:38 PM

311 posts, read 1,754,082 times
Default No loafing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I don't know what era that was, as I have never seen Arby's slice roast beef from anything but a whole cut. I feel the main problem with Arby's over the years is the lack of quality control. Rarely does the product ever resemble what they show in their ads. After a while you just get fed up and quit going.
Would have been ca. 1970. I cannot attest to the accuracy of the claim that they were using some kind of composite product, but did take the remark at face value. In any case, RR's always seemed to taste better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati