Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2008, 10:05 PM

116 posts, read 304,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by franke01 View Post
There was also a Howard Johnson's across Montgomery Rd. from the Prime and Wine.

I think it went away when they expanded Pogues/Ayres.
OMG!! HoJo's Fried Clam Roll with tartar sauce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 10:27 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Default Ollie's Trolley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaAnn View Post
You are so right, those were the best fries in the world!! I will have to call Vic and see if they are still in business! I will let you know in a few days!
Ollie's Trolley downtown is long gone. There's a place by the same name up on Linn St (go if you dare) but the connection with the original is dubious. Have heard one still exists in Covington but have yet to see for myself. Ollie's Trolleys were a spinoff of the Lum's Place chain, itself defunct for eons. Their buildings were shaped like a trolley car and done up like one too, right down to the curved roof and single "headlight." The roof and trim were mustard yellow, the exterior walls white toward the top and black at the bottom, the lettering of the painted-on sign done in a fancy "Victorian" script. Windows ran around the building at the roof line. I "haunted" the one on Limestone St ("South Lime") in Lexington right down the block from the Coliseum while taking courses at UK one summer in the now-distant past. Not a trace remains of it today.
But there is joy in Mudville - at least one Ollie's Trolley survives and thrives. Having heard that it was doing business on South 3rd St in Louisville near the downtown campus of U of L, I was overjoyed to find this to be true on a recent trip to that city. You read right. It's the real deal. Same building, same yummy burgers, same FRIES

Old 06-17-2008, 10:32 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Default Panegyri

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaAnn View Post
Wasn't Schullers over by Finneytown? The Greek church over that way had an amazing festival everysummer! We would walk down Bryn Mawr to get there.
The Greek Orthodox church on Winton Rd still hosts its gigantic "Panegyri" each year. Opa!

Old 06-18-2008, 06:36 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Ollie's Trolley downtown is long gone. There's a place by the same name up on Linn St (go if you dare)
Ollie's Trolley is at the corner of Central Parkway and Liberty Street, Goguy, across from Cincinnati Ballet. One of my many old haunts. And still delicious. And it's not dangerous at all.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
The Greek Orthodox church on Winton Rd still hosts its gigantic "Panegyri" each year. Opa!
June 27-29, 2008 Saint Nicholas and Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, Cincinnati, OH | Welcome Center (http://www.holytrinity.oh.goarch.org/92/94.html - broken link)

Old 06-18-2008, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 9,322 times
I worked at Magic Wok for four years. It was next to Bob Evans on Montgomery Rd. They shut down then opened a new Wok in Mariemont. They have some of the best Chinese food around.

Interesting note: A scene from "Little Man Tate" with Jodie Foster was filmed inside the original Magic Wok. Jodie's character was a waitress at a chinese restaurant

Last edited by CSPHead; 06-18-2008 at 03:01 PM..

Old 06-19-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPHead View Post

Interesting note: A scene from "Little Man Tate" with Jodie Foster was filmed inside the original Magic Wok. Jodie's character was a waitress at a chinese restaurant
Several movies were filmed in Greater Cincinnati and featured some of our great restaurants.

The one that immediately comes to mind was Rainman with the scenes filmed at Pompillios in N.KY (Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise)

Old 06-25-2008, 09:05 AM

13 posts, read 134,516 times
Default AAH! Yes, the Sovereign!

I have very good memories of the Sovereign! They had a wonderful Bananas Foster that they would make at table side! Good Eats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati View Post
Never ate there, but I thought it was called "The Sovereign".

Another dinner-with-a-view place was the Celestial, in Mt. Adams.

Since this thread seems to be moving west, here are a couple of
oldies:

Quebec Gardens, near west
Trolley Tavern, way way west

Old 06-25-2008, 09:08 AM

Default Pompillios

My mom would take me and my sister to Pompillos once a month for a special girls night dinner. We thought it wonderful those tiny little bottles of Coke, the little juke boxes in each booth, and that wonderful bread they would bring in a basket. The Ravioli was to die for!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey1003 View Post
Several movies were filmed in Greater Cincinnati and featured some of our great restaurants.

The one that immediately comes to mind was Rainman with the scenes filmed at Pompillios in N.KY (Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise)

Old 06-25-2008, 09:09 AM

Opa! Mikey1003, it is this week right!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati