Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 09:32 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,981,059 times

Advertisements

This note on another thread gave me an idea for a new one.

If you want to see a gorgeous Christian structure in Cincy-metro, go to Covington and see the Basilica...

Since I'm a relative newcomer here, I hope this hasn't been discussed to death already. Where are your favorites, inside or out, Christian or other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 01:46 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,367,588 times
Plum Street Temple and St Peter in Chains...Across the street from each other

Old 06-15-2010, 09:32 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,838,011 times
It's more "funky" than beautiful, but I like the exterior of Eastminster Presbyterian Church. The purple-shingled structure is on the south (east?) side of Madison Rd where Oakley transitions into Madisonville.
St Aloysius, at the northeast corner of Vine St and Township Ave in Elmwood Place, is a landmark I always take pleasure in seeing although it's not stunningly unique. The building's twin towers evoke Italy. And the large round stained-glass window in front, surrounded by smaller round windows, caused "phone dial church" to be coined as a nickname for the place in my family. (Talk about dated references! Who younger than 30 has even seen a phone dial? LOL.)
Wyoming Baptist Church, on Burns Ave in that suburb, has always intrigued me for appearing ornate yet simple. The feature which really stands out is the huge stained-glass window in front. One of these years I'll get to see it from inside.
St Phillipus (sp?) Church in OTR, at the north end of Race St (perhaps Elm?) isn't noteworthy so much for its vintage or appearance as it is for its steeple. For atop it is a gold hand with index finger pointed heavenward! It's easily spotted from Findlay Market, and from West Clifton Ave as you make the big turn heading south to descend to Vine St.
Until after WWII, Avondale was the heart and soul of Cincinnati's Jewish community. All of the synagogues have long since followed their congregations out of the city, but I know of two that survived demolition and still serve as places of worship. The one which is a landmark is the former Adath Israel, currently the Southern Baptist Church. It looms over the intersection of Reading Rd and Rockdale Ave and looks to still be in good repair at least on the outside.
Many churches, temples, etc in Greater Cincinnati aren't architectural must-see's, but they anchor their surrounding neighborhoods effectively and are pleasing to the eye nonetheless. What come to mind immediately are Westwood Presbyterian Church on Harrison Ave, and the turn-of-20th-century Methodist and Presbyterian churches in Hartwell that flank a grassy oval two blocks east of Vine St on Parkway Ave. They and others hark back to a time when American culture had yet to be car-centered and people could walk to everything which played a part in their everyday lives.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:39 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Old St. Mary's at 13th and Clay.
St. Francis de Sales at Madison and Woodburn.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:15 AM

350 posts, read 880,758 times
There's so, so many in Cincinnati. I love our old, big, and usually intensely ornate churches.

Mother of God Church in Covington. IIRC, the gold bell tower was damaged by fire and they were raising funds to have it restored.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:49 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Has anyone been to St. Rose Church on Eastern Avenue? Always wanted to go to Mass there ... I've seen the front and back of course (where each year's flood levels are marked), but never the inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati