Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2017, 01:39 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times

Advertisements

Currently at Findlay Market as I write this. Bell Connector is awesome! Seats could be made a bit better though as you always feel like you will fall off.

On another note this Findlay Market reminds me of this one in Philadelphia named Reading Terminal albeit much smaller. Same vibe though. Love Cincinnati!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 03:54 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,147,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Actually, the articulated bus does it all a lot better. It is faster, can go around obstacles and is completely scalable. At a tiny fraction of the cost. The streetcar is an amusement ride. Nothing more.
I just saw an articulated bus in Cleveland this afternoon. Your conclusion is correct. With so many needs we have in society, wasting a god awful amount of money building a coal-fired toy train set for urban hipsters is a crime against humanity. (And don't forget the resistance loss inherent in transporting electricity from the coal-fired power plant to the power lines, to the toy train. Nobody seems to take into account these wasted resources either.)

Old 04-06-2017, 04:19 PM

800 posts, read 951,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
I just saw an articulated bus in Cleveland this afternoon. Your conclusion is correct. With so many needs we have in society, wasting a god awful amount of money building a coal-fired toy train set for urban hipsters is a crime against humanity. (And don't forget the resistance loss inherent in transporting electricity from the coal-fired power plant to the power lines, to the toy train. Nobody seems to take into account these wasted resources either.)
Cincinnati has articulated buses. Show how much attention you pay to public transportation.

Electricity use by a steel-wheeled streetcar running on rails is minimal. A rubber-tired diesel city bus can't compete in energy efficiency. The price of electricity isn't as susceptible to spikes.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:22 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Cincinnati has articulated buses. Show how much attention you pay to public transportation.

Electricity use by a steel-wheeled streetcar running on rails is minimal. A rubber-tired diesel city bus can't compete in energy efficiency. The price of electricity isn't as susceptible to spikes.

Not at all minimal. They go up and down hill all day. Most all energy is consumed by going up hills. No energy gained by going down. That's why they call them "foot pounds."

Last edited by Wilson513; 04-06-2017 at 04:41 PM..

Old 04-06-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Not at all minimal. They go up and down hill all day.
I wasn't talking about that kind of resistance, of going up and down, but that too.

I was talking about the resistance and loss inherent in burning coal at a plant 50 or more miles away, and then sending the power generated 50 miles through all kinds of kicks and kinks in the wiring, through all the transformers and other equipment to the local power station and then over to the toy train.

If you can't run a video signal through an HDMI cable for more than 10 feet without heroic efforts, what makes you think the coal you burn 50 miles away is being transported without a similar loss? I think this all falls under the laws of physics, but it's been a while since I've been in a science class.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Not at all minimal. They go up and down hill all day. Most all energy is consumed by going up hills. No energy gained by going down. That's why they call them "foot pounds."

The streetcar has regenerative braking, just like nearly all electric rail systems for the past 100 years. In Switzerland, it's often the case that 3-4 downhill trains generate enough electricity to power one uphill train. New electric cars have regenerative braking too.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
I wasn't talking about that kind of resistance, of going up and down, but that too.

I was talking about the resistance and loss inherent in burning coal at a plant 50 or more miles away, and then sending the power generated 50 miles through all kinds of kicks and kinks in the wiring, through all the transformers and other equipment to the local power station and then over to the toy train.

No American transit system runs off of its own power plant. It's not 1905 anymore, when streetcar companies actually did build their own power plants.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:05 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
The streetcar has regenerative braking, just like nearly all electric rail systems for the past 100 years. In Switzerland, it's often the case that 3-4 downhill trains generate enough electricity to power one uphill train. New electric cars have regenerative braking too.

No it doesn't. You have no idea what you are talking about. You think it has on board batteries? Or the arial wires are sending electricity back to Duke?

Old 04-06-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
No American transit system runs off of its own power plant. It's not 1905 anymore, when streetcar companies actually did build their own power plants.
WTH are you talking about? Duke Energy, or whoever owns the power plant, shovels a bunch of coal into the furnace at that plant down the river that was supposed to be a nuke plant but got screwed up. The coal generates steam which powers generators. The generators make electricity and the power gets sent over wires to the toy train! That's how it's powered.

You think you can send electrical current through a wire for 50 miles, go through all kinds of step up and step down transformers and what not, and that 100% of it arrives in Downtown Cincinnati? I'm sure there's an expert here who can tell us what the resistance loss is. I wouldn't be surprised if it's 25% or more. Probably 50% when you add in all the scrubbers they use ...... Meaning, you get 25% or 50% more energy out of that coal if you shove that coal directly into a vehicle rather than shoving it into a power plant furnace and sending it 50 miles down the road to power what is effectively a coal-fired train, just not as efficient.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
No it doesn't. You have no idea what you are talking about. You think it has on board batteries? Or the arial wires are sending electricity back to Duke?
Braking vehicles on nearly all electric transit systems send power back into the system. If there is no other vehicle in the same electrical block, the braking vehicle uses the regenerated power to power its onboard systems (lights, air conditioning, etc.).

A few of the new streetcar systems do have onboard batteries. Seattle's First Hill line, which opened in 2016, has a wireless section because the new streetcar line crosses a variety of older trolleybus lines. I believe the new streetcar system in Detroit is going to have a wireless section also. These batteries are charged by the overhead wire in the sections that have the wire, but are also recharged in the wireless sections by regenerative braking.

There are also transit systems around the world experimenting with storing regenerated power in fixed trackside lithium ion batteries. Some event want to sell extra power generated by the vehicles back into the utility grid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati