Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2017, 07:19 PM

6,295 posts, read 11,005,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
How is there a crowd or smell if nobody is on the streetcars? There are never any delays on the interstates we never voted to build?

We didn't all inherit money like you, Wilson513. Some of us worked horrible menial jobs for years to achieve some modicum of what Hyde Parkers like yourself were given. I have worked about 350 70-hour weeks and I'm not even 40. You maybe worked one or two.
Your continuing attacks on people with money is puerile and disturbing. It wreaks of class warfare. Life is not fair. Some people have it easier than others. Deal with it. And this has NOTHING to do with the original topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 08:01 PM

800 posts, read 944,361 times
Class warfare is what the push for improved public transportation is all about. Life in most of the United States requires ownership of a car, and that ownership extracts money from the poor and gives it to the rich -- many of whom were born to wealthy families. We can get transportation costs for ordinary people WAY lower by investing public dollars in better transit, and rail transit is much cheaper to operate over time than are buses.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:21 PM

11,046 posts, read 12,322,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
People hate public transit only if they have to use it. When one is on vacation, it is charming to let a bus pass because there is no room on it.

When it is raining and you have to get to work, one hates the smells, the crowd, the delays.
Yep, this is basically what I'm saying and a very fair point. I have not ever met anyone in the US or Europe who "likes" public transit to commute. The most positive answer you'll get is that other routes that aren't their route are worse or that at least they don't have to maneuver through traffic.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:55 PM

800 posts, read 944,361 times
^I know plenty of people who could afford cars but don't own one and use public transportation all the time or they ride bicycles. Some of them are raising kids without cars. When I worked in downtown Cincinnati I always biked there or walked or took the bus, even when I owned a car. I might have driven to that job five times in the 2 years I worked there while owning a car, likely because I had to drive out of town immediately afterward or something like that.

I remember one day biking to work downtown, biking back around 1pm, getting my luggage, and taking the bus to CVG for a flight. Even though I owned a car. Because I saved $50+ over parking the stupid thing at the airport.

Face it, all of the right wingers who think they are so good with money all own cars and expend a lot of effort arguing that the occasional conveniences afforded by car ownership outstrip its $8,000+ annual cost.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:24 PM

11,046 posts, read 12,322,586 times
Quote:
^I know plenty of people who could afford cars but don't own one and use public transportation all the time or they ride bicycles. Some of them are raising kids without cars. When I worked in downtown Cincinnati I always biked there or walked or took the bus, even when I owned a car. I might have driven to that job five times in the 2 years I worked there while owning a car, likely because I had to drive out of town immediately afterward or something like that.

I remember one day biking to work downtown, biking back around 1pm, getting my luggage, and taking the bus to CVG for a flight. Even though I owned a car. Because I saved $50+ over parking the stupid thing at the airport.

Face it, all of the right wingers who think they are so good with money all own cars and expend a lot of effort arguing that the occasional conveniences afforded by car ownership outstrip its $8,000+ annual cost.
You're talking to a dude who doesn't have a left wing view of anything and has never owned a car, nor particularly cares to ever own one. Might want to question your biases.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Class warfare is what the push for improved public transportation is all about. Life in most of the United States requires ownership of a car, and that ownership extracts money from the poor and gives it to the rich -- many of whom were born to wealthy families. We can get transportation costs for ordinary people WAY lower by investing public dollars in better transit, and rail transit is much cheaper to operate over time than are buses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc8bBeGSS30

Old 10-18-2017, 10:49 PM

17,336 posts, read 13,071,228 times
Oh yeah, the folly!

1,000,000 people at Blink and ridership only twice the normal.

Big yawn

Old 10-19-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Oh yeah, the folly!

1,000,000 people at Blink and ridership only twice the normal.

Big yawn
Yep. Only one event. If Blink or a similar event ran daily then that might change things now wouldn't it?

Old 10-19-2017, 06:15 AM

610 posts, read 789,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Stop? Nope. Go, go go!

To call the CBC a resounding success is fiction to say the least. Deal with the facts. It carries about half of the riders it was projected to carry. And it is losing a lot of money. I am not brainwashed by any media outlet. But I can recognize a failure when I see it.

Stop, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. It's shocking to me that the resident grumps on this board still think the streetcar is bad. It must be a truly miserable life to be that negative all the time. Complain, complain, complain. The streetcar is here and here for good and has been a benefit for the city. It's been talked about ad nasuem in this thread. It's in the black and generating MILLIONS of dollars in revenue and was built on time and on budget. Literally none of the old arguments against it have come true. It's supported by GE, Kroger, small businesses, Cincy Tourism and the chamber of commerce. You can't be pro-business and anti-streetcar. If you're against the streetcar than you're anti-business. It's over, stop complaining, and admit you've lost or don't...haters gonna hate, I guess. It's a non-issue in this years city elections because other than a handful of grumpy folks people have either accepted it's here and their whining will do nothing or have realized that it's a been a benefit for the city. There are much more serious issues facing Cincinnati like our sky high child poverty rate to name one.
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2016/08/03/it-s-official-streetcar-is-under-budget.html
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2016/12/30/streetcar-triggers-millions-in-development-along.html
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/blog/2014/06/why-ge-chose-the-banks.html
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/06/06/kroger-will-build-downtown-grocery-store-as-a-part.html
http://wvxu.org/post/riders-complying-streetcar-fare-policy-summer-pass-coming-soon#stream/0

Last edited by cincydave8; 10-19-2017 at 06:23 AM..

Old 10-19-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post

Stop, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. It's shocking to me that the resident grumps on this board still think the streetcar is bad. It must be a truly miserable life to be that negative all the time. Complain, complain, complain. The streetcar is here and here for good and has been a benefit for the city. It's been talked about ad nasuem in this thread. It's in the black and generating MILLIONS of dollars in revenue and was built on time and on budget. Literally none of the old arguments against it have come true. It's supported by GE, Kroger, small businesses, Cincy Tourism and the chamber of commerce. You can't be pro-business and anti-streetcar. If you're against the streetcar than you're anti-business. It's over, stop complaining, and admit you've lost or don't...haters gonna hate, I guess. It's a non-issue in this years city elections because other than a handful of grumpy folks people have either accepted it's here and their whining will do nothing or have realized that it's a been a benefit for the city. There are much more serious issues facing Cincinnati like our sky high child poverty rate to name one.
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2016/08/03/it-s-official-streetcar-is-under-budget.html
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2016/12/30/streetcar-triggers-millions-in-development-along.html
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/blog/2014/06/why-ge-chose-the-banks.html
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/06/06/kroger-will-build-downtown-grocery-store-as-a-part.html
http://wvxu.org/post/riders-complying-streetcar-fare-policy-summer-pass-coming-soon#stream/0
You see things that don't exist. Seriously. It is losing a ton of money. And it does not take WLW Radio to learn this information.

That money that was wasted on this project would have been better spent on the child poverty problem you mention as well as fire and police protection, improved bus service and more. Now those are the facts.

I'm a number cruncher for the most part and don't let my feelings get in the way of business like so many people do these days. I have ridden street cars in Europe. I've ridden Subways in North America. In some places rail can work and is viable to a degree. This is NOT the case here. You and others like you need to STOP making me out to be something I AM NOT. Got it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati