Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 08:34 PM

3,866 posts, read 3,144,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Take the bus.

I'm with Chemistry Guy -- Target isn't much to get excited about. The sanitation of the city continues. I'll go back even another decade or two and wax nostalgic about the Cupboard, Scentiments, Dollar Bill's, InCahoots, ask those little bars and restaurants and funky shops ... none of which were seedy anyway, except in the minds of University muckety mucks.
That is why I think you need stringent zoning regulations in place similar to what the town of Shaker Heights outside of Cleveland has in place to preserve the character of a locale and to prevent developers from transforming an unique urban locale into boring generic suburbia or as someone previously said a mini Mason. If Mayor Cranley had his way he would let developers do the same thing to Over The Rhine as evidenced by the recent approval to demolish an 140 year old structure in order to construct some suburbia generic high rise condo. Wish we could learn from Germany on how to replace or rebuild structures with similar aesthetics as they did in Berlin after it was totally destroyed in WWII.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 05:24 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
The long wait for the new Target store is almost over...

From the Business Journal:
* https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinna...tore-near.html

The opening of this small-format CUF store will probably be a gala affair similar to the opening of Kroger's Corryville store. It's for certain that the event will be carefully observed by Kroger management.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:32 PM

The long wait is over: First Ohio mini Target store opens in Cincinnati - WCPO Cincinnati, OH

Old 07-19-2017, 03:43 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
If Amazon were building that store, it would have a robust capability for pick-up of online orders.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
If Amazon were building that store, it would have a robust capability for pick-up of online orders.
Pray tell, why would Amazon open such a store so close to the one already there?

* Amazon store opens at UC Thursday - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

* https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/blog/2016/01/take-a-look-inside-cincinnati-s-first-amazon-store.html

Old 07-19-2017, 10:12 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
That isn't my point. My point is that this new Target concept store apparently isn't designed to advance a multi-channel strategy. The new Amazon store in University Hts. reinforces this point, and likely will provide tought competition for the Target store even with no physical inventory.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:22 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
University stores, especially in bad neighborhoods like the Target store, suffer from ghetto discounts, meaning shoplifting. No one can make money selling groceries when a pack of shoplifted batteries wipes out the profit from an entire cart of food. This is an experiment that has been conducted over and over and over. Target will not change it even if they put armed guards and metal detectors at the door. But, they will establish goodwill among future suburban customers.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:13 AM

364 posts, read 715,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
University stores, especially in bad neighborhoods like the Target store, suffer from ghetto discounts, meaning shoplifting. No one can make money selling groceries when a pack of shoplifted batteries wipes out the profit from an entire cart of food. This is an experiment that has been conducted over and over and over. Target will not change it even if they put armed guards and metal detectors at the door. But, they will establish goodwill among future suburban customers.
Clifton Heights, which is where the new Target is located is not located in a bad neighborhood. It sounds like you haven't spent much time in Clifton since U Square was built. Before U Sqaure was built, I might not have been able to disagree with you. Additionally, Target tends not to attract the element you're referring to in large numbers. Lastly, the type of Target that was placed there is not meant to draw people from a huge area, which I doubt it will once the grand opening shine wears off. It's designed to fill a niche that has been missing in the immediate area.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:30 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahl_Wrighter View Post
Clifton Heights, which is where the new Target is located is not located in a bad neighborhood. It sounds like you haven't spent much time in Clifton since U Square was built. Before U Sqaure was built, I might not have been able to disagree with you. Additionally, Target tends not to attract the element you're referring to in large numbers. Lastly, the type of Target that was placed there is not meant to draw people from a huge area, which I doubt it will once the grand opening shine wears off. It's designed to fill a niche that has been missing in the immediate area.

Uh, are you from Cincinnati? One might find more thugs in Winton Terrace or East Price Hill, but, the 1 mile area around the new Target store will be a good place to start to find property crime. I'd put that 1 mile radius up against any other place in Cincinnati for theft of property which is what I referred to. Probably number 1.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:46 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,147,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Uh, are you from Cincinnati? One might find more thugs in Winton Terrace or East Price Hill, but, the 1 mile area around the new Target store will be a good place to start to find property crime. I'd put that 1 mile radius up against any other place in Cincinnati for theft of property which is what I referred to. Probably number 1.
But let's look at things from the business side. 30,000 square feet is the size of your typical Odd Lots (Big Lots, but I still call it by it's original name). Back in the 1970's this footprint was considered a large-sized grocery store. The typical Ontario, Gold Circle, Kmart, Buckeye Mart of the era is 80,000 square feet. That lone Marsh store in Fairfield was about 30,000 square feet.

Your typical Kroger is now 80,000 to 100,000 square feet. 40,000 square feet (a big store not too long ago) is too small for them to make money because they can't carry enough high-profit items and they have to restock more often (higher labor costs).

What this sounds like to me is ......... Woolworths. Except that Woolworth's couldn't make money with that kind of a footprint.

Woolworth's (still around as Foot Locker) didn't have the kind of technology Target has. Maybe that will be the difference. Otherwise, if Woolworth's couldn't make money with small stores, I don't see how Target will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati