Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 09:07 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
A study such as this is completely subjective and biased. Likely it only looks at the most popular forms of entertainment in the country while ignoring lesser known or participated interests.
Question: just how are researchers to determine what people consider most fun w/o looking at what is most popular? This study is well supported by a methodology which includes a broad spectrum of places and activities people across the nation enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 09:58 AM

389 posts, read 330,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
That is one weird ass list. Who knew Knoxville was more fun than Boston or Nashville?
First let's establish they are not referring to visiting some city on vacation or a day trip. This is about living someplace after the novelty has worn off. What variety of things is there to do, are they accessible to average people, and at what cost. For me bars and night clubs hold no interest. Clean park space, festivals, and family friendly entertainment is what I want. I agree it is subjective and what is fun for one may not be fun for someone else.

Last edited by ms12345; 09-19-2017 at 10:16 AM..

Old 09-19-2017, 10:41 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
That is one weird ass list. Who knew Knoxville was more fun than Boston or Nashville?
Boston is not very fun. I have never been to Knoxville, but it's hard to not be more fun than Boston.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:06 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Question: just how are researchers to determine what people consider most fun w/o looking at what is most popular? This study is well supported by a methodology which includes a broad spectrum of places and activities people across the nation enjoy.
Certain kinds of fun to some people would be met with indifference by others. It would be logical to use a study that allows for a complete free form write in form to get a more complete and accurate picture of what people consider to be fun. In other words a literal Poll would yield more accurate results than simply gauging what man made forms of entertainment exist in a given metro area.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Boston is not very fun. I have never been to Knoxville, but it's hard to not be more fun than Boston.
Still a great place to visit though.

And no Connecticut cities made the list either. LOL In reality most of us New Englanders are not known for being the life of the party since we are always working. I know it creates issues for me in the hedonistic cultures of the Midwest where people prefer having fun vs. putting their nose to the grind stone (ouch) and getting serious about some things that are important in life. At some point I may try to move back to New England or NY simply because I would have far less cultural issues like I've mentioned.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:09 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms12345 View Post
First let's establish they are not referring to visiting some city on vacation or a day trip. This is about living someplace after the novelty has worn off. What variety of things is there to do, are they accessible to average people, and at what cost.
Agreed. This is an important realization that may easily escape readers' attention. The researchers have amassed an array of verifiable data that demonstrates how the residents of each city spend their leisure time and to what cost they do so to enjoy their favorite leisure-time activities. Although the criteria doesn't preclude an element of subjectivity, it comes closest to objectivity in determining which cities are the most fun.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:40 AM

It only takes into account a certain segment of the population that relies upon what is provided to them for recreation. But there are people that enjoy hobbies like stamp and coin collecting, riding a snow mobile, board games like the old Twister, Ham Radio, building model ships and airplanes etc., that likely don't have a voice in this study. It's pretty flawed.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:03 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Still a great place to visit though.

And no Connecticut cities made the list either. LOL In reality most of us New Englanders are not known for being the life of the party since we are always working. I know it creates issues for me in the hedonistic cultures of the Midwest where people prefer having fun vs. putting their nose to the grind stone (ouch) and getting serious about some things that are important in life. At some point I may try to move back to New England or NY simply because I would have far less cultural issues like I've mentioned.
It's a great place to visit once. For 3 days.

New Englanders are not the life of the party because they think they are better than everyone (see your working harder comments). Hedonism in the midwest? LOL!!! By putting your nose to the grind stone I can only assume you mean kissing up to the right people which of course takes a conscious effort, but doesn't require much originality or character.

If that is you, I do suppose you have cultural issues in Ohio.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:

New Englanders are not the life of the party because they think they are better than everyone (see your working harder comments). Hedonism in the midwest? LOL!!! By putting your nose to the grind stone I can only assume you mean kissing up to the right people which of course takes a conscious effort, but doesn't require much originality or character.

Nope. I work hard and don't kiss ass. I am speaking about Indianapolis. Who you know is all that matters. Your work ethic and quality of work means little there. The people are completely self absorbed and more concerned with what they will be having for lunch or what they will be doing after work than paying attention to doing their job well.

If you dislike Boston that much why don't you leave? I would not live there myself but it has some great culture. BTW. I find more of an elitist superior attitude in Indianapolis from the people there than I ever did in New England or NY. Spend a little time in Indy and if you are an outsider and not from the state or the region you will see what I mean. In some parts of the country they like to do things lean and mean. In Indy it is slow and low. And you damn well better conform to their way of life or how they believe you should run your own life. In other words they really get into your personal business.

I don't work in Cincinnati right now but that may change in the future. But to date, while living in NKY I don't have any real big complaints with the place other than having to deal with on street parking at my house. Don't like that at all.

Last edited by WILWRadio; 09-20-2017 at 05:20 PM..

Old 09-20-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:

A PS to the previous comments. I stand by my comments about some areas of the Midwest. They are spot on especially where indianapolis is concerned. I am not the only person that sees this or has had experiences like this.

The behavior of the people is the problem. Where I come from, behavior and lifestyles like this are for the most part socially unacceptable. Especially the promiscuous behavior and also the thieving and backstabbing. In addition to what I mentioned I've also noted that many have a tendency to "project' or start rumors about people when they know nothing about them. While I am not having much of an issue like this in NKY or Cincy it has been a MAJOR problem in central Indiana.

Sorry if I touched a nerve here but one thing I've learned over the years when ling living in some places. The kind of personality and lifestyle that you have may mesh in some places or at least be accepted while in others they demand you change and conform or they will push you out. That is what Indianapolis is like. I am not having that kind of experience in Cincinnati.

And now to get back on topic. There are plenty of potentially good entertainment and cultural attractions in the Cincinnati area. Hopefully at some point when I not away from home for nearly 80 hours a week due to work, I will be able to enjoy a few of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: