Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2016, 07:48 AM

3 posts, read 2,413 times

Advertisements

Hi-

We currently are renting in Cincinnati and looking to move into a home with good school districts for our children. They will be in school next year. We plan to do public school. Sycamore
, Wyoming, and Madeira seem to be out of our price range for what we want. Every other area we look at is 25 minutes to drive. Loveland, Lakota, KIngs and Mason.

We know nothing about Oak Hills or the west side ! Always rented on the east side. Not a fan of Princeton.

Any feedback of where you would love to stay in that 20 min commute mark ?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 08:52 AM

410 posts, read 586,627 times
You should check out Oak Hills School District. It's a large district with quite a few neighborhoods and price points. You could also go with a smaller district like Finneytown.
Don't give up on Wyoming. The less expensive properties exist but disappear fast.

My friends who are in Glendale & Green Hills (Princeton & Winton Woods SD)send their children to Bethany- that doesn't help you, sorry!

Old 10-27-2016, 09:16 AM

89 posts, read 112,775 times
I agree with Oak Hills, many different price points and neighborhoods to choose from. Also, check out Finneytown, but mind the tax rates! Very high for a small school system. My kids go to a CPS Magnet school. Be sure to check out those options as well. We are very happy with the magnet school system.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:31 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,581,393 times
In addition to Oak Hills, Three Rivers is another good school district.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:26 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,677 times
To be close to Mt. Healthy, I second the suggestion of Finneytown, which is basically right next door. The quality of the school system should be fine--it probably represents a solid middle ground between the top-rated districts like Wyoming or Sycamore and "problem" ones like Mt. Healthy or Cincinnati Public. Winton Woods, based on what I hear, is kind of "iffy." Agree Oak Hills is good, but it's probably not a very quick commute. Three Rivers is really far away.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:03 PM

124 posts, read 138,212 times
I have a friend who used to teach in Finneytown about 5 years ago. He said it was rough and had some inner city type kids.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:22 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherinTN View Post
I have a friend who used to teach in Finneytown about 5 years ago. He said it was rough and had some inner city type kids.
And I have several friends who I guess I would classify as white mid-to-upper-middle class who have grandchildren currently in that system. They are happy with the quality of education and feel the district is holding its own in the face of changing demographics. I would urge the OP to do some research and hope they don't make a decision based on what sounds like a throwaway dismissal in your two sentence posting. Yes, there probably are some "inner city type kids," but you're probably going to have to go to a VERY affluent area to completely avoid that--assuming the OP even wants to.

Old 10-28-2016, 05:18 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,859,085 times
I graduated from Finneytown nearly a decade ago. When I was in high school, plenty of AP courses were offered, there was a thriving performing arts scene, there were competitive athletic teams, and many students were active in community service. I found that the Finneytown community itself was very close knit. Families always looked out for each other no matter if they were considered "haves" or "have nots".

I witnessed plenty of issues, some very serious, in the schools I attended over the years, but any school district with a semblance of poverty will display those as well.

Old 10-29-2016, 11:47 AM

224 posts, read 297,079 times
Oak Hills is a good school district, but the only way you'll be within the 20 minute drive to Mt Healthy is if you live in the area around the Rybolt Road exit.

To me, Finneytown is one of those areas that could go in either direction over the next 10 years. It could go on the upswing if more people start to see it as a viable alternative to McMansion suburbs or to exclusive enclaves like Wyoming. Or it could just as easily go the other way.

Oak Hills, on the other hand, is likely to retain its good standing 10 years from now. Oak Hills is likely to be a good investment in terms of buying a house. If it was me, the only way I'd try Finneytown is if I was renting there.

Old 10-29-2016, 02:22 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,581,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
To be close to Mt. Healthy, I second the suggestion of Finneytown, which is basically right next door. The quality of the school system should be fine--it probably represents a solid middle ground between the top-rated districts like Wyoming or Sycamore and "problem" ones like Mt. Healthy or Cincinnati Public. Winton Woods, based on what I hear, is kind of "iffy." Agree Oak Hills is good, but it's probably not a very quick commute. Three Rivers is really far away.
Depending on where you live, Three Rivers is closer than Oak Hills. It's definitely not "really far away" though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: