Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2017, 10:45 AM

49 posts, read 99,205 times

Advertisements

I'm not from the area but will be traveling that way. I'm really interested in dead malls and malls in general and want to visit that mall. I know the Kohl's mall entrance is blocked and some exterior mall entrances are locked, but are you still free to walk around in there?

I'm a member of a Facebook group called Dead Mall Enthusiasts. Someone there visited and took lots of pictures of the mall in February 2017. However, I found a Reddit post from February 2017 where the person said they were walking through the mall taking pictures and were politely asked by security to leave because they're not supposed to be back there apparently. I asked in the Facebook group, and they claim it's still open to the public and that no mall security bothered them at all for taking pictures last month.

But then for what it's worth, the Wikipedia page lists "closing date" as 2017. I couldn't find any actual documentation of it closing though, and we all know Wikipedia can be misinformed. Can anyone from the area tell me if the common areas are still open? I'm certainly not the "urban explorer" type that would break in somewhere, and if it's still unlocked, I will be glad to go in with my friend and take pictures (with my phone). I just don't know if it would seem suspicious for someone to walk in there or if I'd get kicked out like the person on Reddit did. And even though it's basically empty, is it still "open for business," and what is the best entrance to go in? Hopefully there's not security waiting by the door asking what your business is there!

If anyone has any up to date knowledge, it would be appreciated. I'll be in the area next week and will probably be there in the afternoon on a weekday. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 05:14 PM

204 posts, read 744,823 times
I see blog posts about people exploring the Forest Fair/Cincinnati Mills/ Cincinnati Mall often.

I just saw a blog post recently about walking through the almost abandoned mall. I looked it up, and found it. As of March 8th, it was still walkable.

I Went Mall Walking At The Eerily Quiet Forest Fair Mall And This Is What Happened | Cincinnati Refined

Old 03-25-2017, 06:16 PM

Thumbs up Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soozycue520 View Post
I see blog posts about people exploring the Forest Fair/Cincinnati Mills/ Cincinnati Mall often.

I just saw a blog post recently about walking through the almost abandoned mall. I looked it up, and found it. As of March 8th, it was still walkable.

I Went Mall Walking At The Eerily Quiet Forest Fair Mall And This Is What Happened | Cincinnati Refined
That is very helpful. Hopefully, it's still walkable when I get there next week. Looks really cool too! Shame it's so empty, but it'll be pretty amazing to see a mall so intact yet so eerily quiet.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:04 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,143,899 times
I remember walking through that mall when it first opened. It had Elder-Beerman, Parisian, Sakowitz and Bonwit Teller. I really liked the retro-style tiles they had all over the place, especially in the bathrooms. They did a great job on that mall, but it was in the wrong spot.

If that mall was along Fields-Ertel, Kenwood would be the one that's dead.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:47 AM

189 posts, read 309,203 times
As a fellow dead mall enthusiast, I can assure you that you will not be disappointed. Do a search here for Forest Fair or Cincinnati Mills for a bit of interesting reading before you show up.

You may also stop in at TriCounty Mall, located not far away at 747 and 275. Business there has slowed way down, not to the point of being dead, but the pulse is slow and weak.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:53 PM

17,543 posts, read 13,329,500 times
Personally, I wouldn't walk there without carrying my Glock. Yes, I have my CCW

Old 04-07-2017, 11:47 PM

7 posts, read 10,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Personally, I wouldn't walk there without carrying my Glock. Yes, I have my CCW
Overreaction, that mall is dead, except whatever patrons Arcade Legacy brings, and old ladies power walking.

That and 1 or 2 security guys on segways.

But yes its still open Bass Pro, Kohls, Arcade Legacy, Babies R Us, and some kid's fitness/party place.

Sad sights if you remember the the 90's.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:49 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,143,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutoRacer View Post

That mall was dead from day one. I remember being there for the opening and there were lots of empty spaces even then.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:56 PM

17,543 posts, read 13,329,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutoRacer View Post
Overreaction, that mall is dead, except whatever patrons Arcade Legacy brings, and old ladies power walking.

That and 1 or 2 security guys on segways.

But yes its still open Bass Pro, Kohls, Arcade Legacy, Babies R Us, and some kid's fitness/party place.

Not "overreaction" I decided to walk around after seeing this topic. In the back, there was a group of young teens that tried to hassle me. Yelled three times for them to back up. They didnt until they saw I was carrying. They left. I left.

No overreaction at all

Old 04-24-2017, 07:14 AM

Default Still open March 27th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
As a fellow dead mall enthusiast, I can assure you that you will not be disappointed. Do a search here for Forest Fair or Cincinnati Mills for a bit of interesting reading before you show up.

You may also stop in at TriCounty Mall, located not far away at 747 and 275. Business there has slowed way down, not to the point of being dead, but the pulse is slow and weak.
Thank you for your input! I went on March 27th, and it was a really cool place. I can assure everyone here it was open then.

I was travelling through several cities and thus only spent limited time in each of them, but I'm considering taking a day trip again to the Cincinnati area so my other friend who couldn't go can see. What other malls are worth visiting/how many indoor malls are in the Cincinnati metro? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati