Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 05:46 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,752,665 times

Advertisements

Anybody know if there was ever a bunch of Hungarians in Cincinnati (like scattered around a church or some such)?

I kid you not.... I walked into the library one day and there was a lady sitting by the door greeting people for some kind of German doings. She mentioned at least Bavarian and I don't remember what else. I thought a minute then asked, "Does it include Austrian?"

She didn't know what I was talking about....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 04:58 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Anybody know if there was ever a bunch of Hungarians in Cincinnati (like scattered around a church or some such)?

I kid you not.... I walked into the library one day and there was a lady sitting by the door greeting people for some kind of German doings. She mentioned at least Bavarian and I don't remember what else. I thought a minute then asked, "Does it include Austrian?"

She didn't know what I was talking about....
Don't know about Hungarians, but the majority of the German immigrants who settled in Cincinnati were from Bavaria, I believe. I also am not sure how the geopolitical subdivisions at the time of most of the immigration have changed between then and the present. But perhaps the Bavarian region was what you heard being referenced.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:11 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Maybe a small one in Westwood, from what I remember? I'm sure there are much better sources of information on the interwebs than this forum.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:39 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,752,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Don't know about Hungarians, but the majority of the German immigrants who settled in Cincinnati were from Bavaria, I believe. I also am not sure how the geopolitical subdivisions at the time of most of the immigration have changed between then and the present. But perhaps the Bavarian region was what you heard being referenced.
A reply? A reply!!!

If I recall correctly the woman greeting people at the library that day also vaguely mentioned Rhineland. It seemed she didn't really understand that if one is talking about "Germanic heritage" there's certainly more to it than Bavaria.

I kind of wrote off that whole business at that point. Meanwhile, someone told me there may have been escapees from the 1956 Hungarian Revolution re-located in Cincinnati, so there may be something around.

The big Hungarian population in Ohio is/was along the lake shore (Cleveland, but also Toledo). That I know. But it seemed strange to me that in over a hundred years there would be no southern drift out of Dayton....

Thanks for the comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati