Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 12:46 AM

123 posts, read 190,643 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My daughter and I recently moved to Covington KY. She is almost 19 and will be working in downtown Cincinnati. I will be working about 10 miles to the south in KY. Our hours do not mesh well enough to allow us to carpool. I can take her to work but I can't pick her up. Do the city busses from Cincinnati run to Covington? I've seen the trolley go over the bridge but I don't think it goes far into Covington. Would it be safer and/or cheaper to use Uber every day? She would just need to go about 3 to 3.5 miles to get home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 04:24 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,487,957 times
"Tank." They start in downtown Cincinnati and go south. Look it up.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tank+bus+schedules

Last edited by Wilson513; 04-07-2017 at 04:34 AM..

Old 04-07-2017, 04:31 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,026,916 times
Happily to say, Covington is served by TANK ("Transit Authority of Northern Kentucky") which connects to downtown Cincinnati with many modern buses. The trolley you observed (the "Southbank Shuttle") is just a small touristy component of this much larger public transportation system.

In downtown Cincy, TANK bus stops are located predominately along 4th & 5th Streets. These include the # 1,5,7,8,9 and 33, all of which pass through the Covington Transit Center en route to points farther south in Covington and elsewhere. Bus fares are $1.50, excluding transfers. A major public transit office, serving both TANK & METRO, is easily accessed from either 4th or 5th Street. Therefore, without knowing more about your daughter's particular situation, I think she'll be okay riding public transportation. For the most part, these buses run frequently and also on weekends.

At this link [ TANK - Transit Authority of Northern Kentucky > Routes > Local ] you'll be able to view precise routes/schedules of all the TANK buses, including express buses.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:56 AM

That's awesome info, thank you! We have seen the TANK busses but weren't sure if Covington was included. I will definitely look into it. Thanks again!

Old 04-09-2017, 08:21 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,097,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlc74 View Post
That's awesome info, thank you! We have seen the TANK busses but weren't sure if Covington was included. I will definitely look into it. Thanks again!
Some of the TANK busses run past 9 PM. I live on Greenup and can catch a bus if I need to, from around 5 AM until nearly 10 PM on weeknights. Since I own a car I rarely take a bus but it is there if I need it.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Some of the TANK busses run past 9 PM. I live on Greenup and can catch a bus if I need to, from around 5 AM until nearly 10 PM on weeknights. Since I own a car I rarely take a bus but it is there if I need it.
Wow, I didn't realize the busses were out that late. Good to know, thank you! My daughter will be working till 5pm to maybe 6pm on some days. We are close to Greenup, I've seen the bus stops nearby. We will see, I've looked up the website, I think she will be able to use the bus to get home. I will be working till 7pm in Florence.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Wow, I didn't realize the busses were out that late. Good to know, thank you! My daughter will be working till 5pm to maybe 6pm on some days. We are close to Greenup, I've seen the bus stops nearby. We will see, I've looked up the website, I think she will be able to use the bus to get home. I will be working till 7pm in Florence.
The #1 bus runs from downtown Cincy near the Federal Preserve Bank near 4th and Main to the Covington Transit Center and vice versa. It appears to run past 10 PM according to the schedule. If you are within walking distance of the Mall and the route it takes then that should work out for you.

#33 runs from the same location in downtown Cincy to the Covington Transit Center and to Greenup. That runs as late as 10 PM.

#7 runs from the same location in downtown Cincy to the Covington Transit Center and down Madison in Covington. That is only about a 3 block walk to Greenup.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
The #1 bus runs from downtown Cincy near the Federal Preserve Bank near 4th and Main to the Covington Transit Center and vice versa. It appears to run past 10 PM according to the schedule. If you are within walking distance of the Mall and the route it takes then that should work out for you.

#33 runs from the same location in downtown Cincy to the Covington Transit Center and to Greenup. That runs as late as 10 PM.

#7 runs from the same location in downtown Cincy to the Covington Transit Center and down Madison in Covington. That is only about a 3 block walk to Greenup.
I certainly appreciate the info, that helps a lot. I will look at the map and see what would be the best route. I think it will be one of these busses for sure. Thanks again!

Old 04-12-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I certainly appreciate the info, that helps a lot. I will look at the map and see what would be the best route. I think it will be one of these busses for sure. Thanks again!
You're welcome. If I were you I would actually either phone or visit the Covington TANK office to get more details. The new website offers very little in the way of ridership or route information compared to previous incarnations of the site. I just read TANK is making some changes and possibly cutting a route to Newport. Check to make sure the Covington routes are going to remain intact or if any changes are going to be made. be sure to see if that bus will still achieve your object of getting from home to work and back during your travel time frame. My guess is the Covington routes are probably safe since they get most of the riders from Covington which is logical since Covington is more than twice the size of Newport, population wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: