Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 05:01 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times

Advertisements

Although Whole Foods hasn't yet stated it publicly, sources within the food industry have revealed that they consider Kroger their biggest nemesis.

From Yahoo! Finance, a short article with pixs & graph:
* http://finance.yahoo.com/news/whole-foods-facing-worst-nightmare-150132403.html

From the Business Journal, a summary:
* http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnat...hand-over.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 07:04 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
I know that one of the biggest beef's that customers of Whole Foods complain about is the fact that at one point in time, not sure if this is happening now, but Whole Foods would not separate the GMO products from Organic especially where the produce was concerned. People would buy veggies and fruits thinking they were Organic but when they got home they found out they were not Organic products. Essentially deceptive advertising and over pricing in other products has helped lead to the decline of Whole Foods.

Kroger seems to be very up front with their pricing and also product labeling. It is easy to figure out which products are either Organic or All Natural and which are not. Even the Produce area has these products separated and not mixed which leads to a better shopping experience for the consumer.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:35 PM

929 posts, read 2,722,039 times
I just moved to Liberty Township Ohio. My local Kroger certainly can't be a shinning example of Kroger. The shelves are often bare in some areas. The employees are an odd bunch of people. I mean many of them have odd dyed hair or piercings, but the biggest issue I have is that they are never friendly. The cashiers seem miserable.
My former home state I shopped at Publix. Publix by far is superior in every way.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:22 AM

^ I acknowledge your concerns about the Kroger store in your area - however, your post doesn't contribute to this discussion, which is focused on the business operations of Kroger vs. Whole Foods.

Here is an additional link to those provided above, with more relevant information:
* http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/04/12/how-whole-foods-shakeup-could-affect-kroger.html

Old 04-18-2017, 11:29 AM

89 posts, read 112,775 times
I would consider shopping at Whole Foods for some items, it's too bad they feel the Westside is not good enough for them. Or for that matter Trader Joe's. I'll just continue shopping at Kroger and occasionally Aldi, at least they act like they want my money.
Looking forward to the new Kroger Marketplace on Harrison in Dent.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:56 AM

^ Your concern that the Westside isn't "good enough" to share in the likes of Whole Foods, Trader Joe's (or possibly other upscale food stores such as Fresh Market), is a long standing, widely shared regret. Needless to say, it bolsters the belief or myth about the superiority of living on the Eastside. However, the fact is that there are really only a very few of these foodie boutiques on the east side of town, which may require a seeker to do a great deal of driving to partake of their ambiance of affluence.

For example, just observe the Whole Foods operation @ Rookwood - without question, a store meant to allure the affluent from a wide swath of Cincy's eastern suburbs. Unlike the nearby Kroger store @ Surrey Square - which draws a huge number of shoppers from way beyond Norwood - the WF store doesn't take kindly to browsers with limited resources bumbling about window shopping. In this particular store, WF plays their cards superbly with noticeable success. However, unfortunately for them, Kroger has learned to deftly play the same "Organic Game" in its Marketplace food palaces throughout the entire metro, with cost savings as its trump card.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:20 AM

649 posts, read 815,839 times
I was shocked when we went to the Athens, OH Kroger. It was like a Whole Foods, all natural wood and bulk items and huge organic section. I have no idea why Kroger continues to offer us only the most giant suburban Biggs-like of experiences in its new buildouts around here. Clearly it can do it differently.

OTOH literally the ONE thing I miss about Boston is having a choice of food retailers. There were five or six grocery chains and a ton of bodegas competing for business. That said fresh food anywhere was much more expensive in Boston while processed food was almost 50% cheaper.

I have wondered why restaurants here are SO MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE than Boston when ingredients are so much cheaper.

I recently was in Trader Joes talking to the manager about where there may be another Trader Joes and was told that it would be Liberty Township or nowhere and that they have created a produce hub in Columbus (? maybe) to address the quality of their produce. Which is terrible at all Trader Joe's (on the east coast at least.)

Old 04-19-2017, 01:06 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post

I recently was in Trader Joes talking to the manager about where there may be another Trader Joes and was told that it would be Liberty Township or nowhere and that they have created a produce hub in Columbus (? maybe) to address the quality of their produce. Which is terrible at all Trader Joe's (on the east coast at least.)

There are two Trader Joe's. The western stores are very good with excellent fresh food and produce.

Then there are the eastern stores with nearly everything fresh shipped in from Boston. Most of the "fresh food" is anything but. And why don't they source from local suppliers? You have stores in Chicago but the sausage comes from BOSTON?? Forget about it.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:08 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
Perhaps the products being shipped from Boston are deemed higher quality than products from other cities. That may be why.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:56 AM

It seems just about "show and tell time" for Kroger vis-a-vis Whole Foods.

Although no outsider knows for certain what move Kroger will make this late stage in the game, the latest Business Journal article strongly reemphasizes the pros of a Kroger acquisition, yet reminds readers why the Cincinnati-based food giant may ultimately pass on it...

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnat...ole-foods.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati