U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2018, 08:23 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,300,561 times

Advertisements

"Two Greater Cincinnati high schools rank among nation's top 100"

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinna...ank-among.html

For the fourth year in a row, Walnut Hills High School was ranked the best high school in Ohio and along with Wyoming High School, was recognized as two of the best in the nation in the 2018 U.S. News & World Report ranking of 20,500 public high schools. Ohio's top-10 high schools included five from the Cincinnati metro.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 11:57 PM

9,587 posts, read 6,328,790 times
The U.S. News rankings seem heavily influenced by the social economic factors that determine the ability of student bodies.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes.../ohio/rankings

Walnut Hills in Cincinnati is a selective school with admission tests that cherry picks the best students in the Cincinnati Public School District. Additionally, parents must be very proactive in order to secure admission for their children; this suggests a home environment very conducive and encouraging of academic achievement.

<<Admission is open to all students in the Cincinnati Public School District who score in the 70th percentile or above on the Terra Nova standardized test offered through Cincinnati Public Schools.>>

http://www.walnuthillseagles.com/abo...l-profile.aspx

I think offering academically gifted and motivated students a superior curriculum and the ability to compete with similar students is a good idea, although it likely does limit the ability of some kids to develop general social skills.

Ohio school district rankings based on state report cards:

Every Ohio school district ranked; led by Solon and Rocky River | cleveland.com

Last edited by WRnative; 05-10-2018 at 12:22 AM..

Old 05-11-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
The U.S. News rankings seem heavily influenced by the social economic factors that determine the ability of student bodies.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes.../ohio/rankings

Walnut Hills in Cincinnati is a selective school with admission tests that cherry picks the best students in the Cincinnati Public School District. Additionally, parents must be very proactive in order to secure admission for their children; this suggests a home environment very conducive and encouraging of academic achievement.

<<Admission is open to all students in the Cincinnati Public School District who score in the 70th percentile or above on the Terra Nova standardized test offered through Cincinnati Public Schools.>>

See what WHHS has to offer

I think offering academically gifted and motivated students a superior curriculum and the ability to compete with similar students is a good idea, although it likely does limit the ability of some kids to develop general social skills.

Ohio school district rankings based on state report cards:

Every Ohio school district ranked; led by Solon and Rocky River | cleveland.com
This post is problematic for two major reasons:

(a) You misrepresent how Walnut Hills High School functions within the Cincinnati Public School system and distort how this renowned academic institution distinguishes itself from other Ohio public high schools, including those within the 2018 U.S. News & World Report;

(b) Your inclusion of a 9/17/2017 Cleveland Plain Dealer ranking of Ohio public school districts diverts discussion away from the top Ohio high schools presented within the U.S. News & World Report.

In contrast, this 5/9/2018 Plain Dealer update focuses specifically on the schools cited above:

U.S. News and World Report names top high schools in Ohio: See the list | cleveland.com

Old 05-11-2018, 09:00 AM

9,587 posts, read 6,328,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
This post is problematic for two major reasons:

(a) You misrepresent how Walnut Hills High School functions within the Cincinnati Public School system and distort how this renowned academic institution distinguishes itself from other Ohio public high schools, including those within the 2018 U.S. News & World Report;
I quoted from the Walnut Hills website, and provided the link to its admission policies. Nothing was misrepresented.

Quote:
(b) Your inclusion of a 9/17/2017 Cleveland Plain Dealer ranking of Ohio public school districts diverts discussion away from the top Ohio high schools presented within the U.S. News & World Report.
The Plain Dealer article that I linked provided a ranking of all school districts in Ohio based on the Department of Education analysis of test scores. It provided a different take on the U.S. News & Report analysis, and as such supplemented it. These rankings may be more useful to prospective residents than the U.S. News & World Report rankings as they consider the entire school district and not just the high schools.

Additionally, persons interested in Ohio's rankings can check out individual schools here.:

Report Card Resources | Ohio Department of Education

Quote:
In contrast, this 5/9/2018 Plain Dealer update focuses specifically on the schools cited above:

U.S. News and World Report names top high schools in Ohio: See the list | cleveland.com
The PD article that you linked is just another article on the U.S. News & World Report rankings!

Last edited by WRnative; 05-11-2018 at 09:09 AM..

Old 05-17-2018, 10:45 AM

^ As I stated previously, post #12 is problematic because it presents an outsider's inaccurate, unappreciative assessment of Walnut Hills High School. These half truths, negative innuendos and diversions need to be challenged for several reasons:

(A) The idea that WHHS merely "cherry picks" only the brightest, most motivated students from a select number of educationally driven, litmus tested households misrepresents how this academic institution maintains its excellence. Nowhere is such a facile observation communicated in the WHHS website. Instead, it conveys an implicit understanding that "70th percentile" will include a large and diverse population of applicants throughout the city who've passed the entrance test. It stands to reason that just a portion of this demography will actually become a part of the incoming class.

As you've assumed, WHHS has never been some magical castle or "Hogwarts School for Youth," wherein success is guaranteed simply by uniting a superior group of students, parents and instructors who are all attuned to the same wave length and talk the same talk. This has never been the case.

Instead, within WHHS there's a core set of values, expectations and code of conduct that functions with ruthless efficiency in sustaining the school's formidable reputation. It's a time tested, iron clad standard of excellence that doesn't change every time a new administrator comes aboard or the city elects a new mayor. As I touched on in post #8, this deeply embedded "operating system" is the school's grueling academic/socializing processes that make no exceptions for mediocrity for whatever the reason.

WHHS rewards competition as much as cooperation and student life here can be brutal. Academically, this flagship school plows through newbies like an all-star equivalent of OSU's fabled football program: recruit a large number of good football players from throughout the state, supply them great coaching and an expert playbook, demand absolute discipline and excellent execution, key in on the best players and play to win. Likewise at WHHS; from the moment a new student enters its doors, they have to abide by what the school demands of them. In the end, whether on a scoreboard in Cbus or at a graduation in Cincy, nobody cries but the losers.

(B) Your insertion of district rankings into this thread is totally unwarranted because it detracts from WHHS's top billing within the pages of one of the nation's most trusted, well read news magazines, U.S. News & World Report. The fact that you initially chose a dated Cleveland Plain Dealer article highlighting "Solon" and "Rocky River" as two of the best school districts in Ohio, while discrediting a recent article from the Plain Dealer (post #14) that cites "Walnut Hills High School" the best high school in the state says it all. What you've done is deliberately manipulate data to present an untrue picture.

What's also misleading about this apple/oranges comparison is that (with a single exception) the predominance of top-20 Ohio high schools reside in school districts small enough to consist of only one high school; thus, most of these districts and their high schools bear the same name (Solon, Ohio). Cincinnati does not have the same situation, being ranked way down as #574 of 608 Ohio school districts. That makes it obvious why WHHS doesn't appear on this massive, all encompassing list.

Unlike other Ohio schools cited in the magazine, WHHS competed against fourteen schools within the Cincinnati School District to achieve its status, while also competing against every public high school in the state to become #1. That's a vast difference from a high school like Solon, which has no competition whatsoever within its own district and was ranked as only #2 in NEO and merely #11 in the state.

WHHS's location also distinguishes it from all other top-20 high schools. Those other schools reside in suburban/exurb, white-bread communities. In stark contrast, WHHS sits in one of most blighted, troubled black neighborhoods in Cincinnati. Even this handicap hasn't prevented the high school from achieving greatness.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:45 AM

Just days ago, local media sources announced some incredible news...
(The link below includes a short, excellent video.)

https://www.wlwt.com/article/17-students-from-single-cincinnati-high-school-earn-perfect-act-scores/27238145
"'I have never heard of so many students in one school earning a perfect score,' said Ed Curry, spokesperson for ACT."
"Another 23 Walnut Hill School seniors just missed a perfect score, earning 35 out of a possible 36, said Principal John Chambers."

Old 05-01-2019, 02:33 PM

"Greater Cincinnati high schools move up list of nation's best"

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinna..._news_headline

For the fifth year in a row, Walnut Hills High School was ranked the best high school in Ohio and along with Wyoming High School
two of the best in the nation in the 2019 U.S. News & World Report ranking of more than 23,000 public high schools.

Inexplicable and disappointing is the omission this year of both Madeira and Mariemont High Schools,
which ranked #6 and #16 respectively last year. For some reason, neither school was ranked at all this year.
https://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/ohio

Old 05-01-2019, 06:27 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,341,907 times
US News is an OK indicator but gives a lot of weight to schools that require their students to take AP tests when in AP courses. And it is even more of a favorable weight when those AP courses are essentially the honors curriculum path at the high school.

No ranking is perfect, but I tend to take US News' with a larger grain of salt.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:31 PM
on3

342 posts, read 146,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
US News is an OK indicator but gives a lot of weight to schools that require their students to take AP tests when in AP courses. And it is even more of a favorable weight when those AP courses are essentially the honors curriculum path at the high school.

No ranking is perfect, but I tend to take US News' with a larger grain of salt.
AP courses are just a means of testing out of college level courses. Nothing more. They are like a fart passing in the wind and hardly worth anyone stressing over them. I could have taken AP math and science in HS, but I WANTED to take it in college. So I took AP English and History and passed those exams with flying colors and tested out of History and English classes at the college level that I had zero interest in perusing as a major. Such classes would only be a waste of time which didn't actually matter to my end goal, and I knew I wanted to major in something math or science related. Why? Because that's what paid the most with a 4 year degree. Engineering. Not a historian. Not an English teacher.

All that being said, I shook my head in disbelief as my fellow HS classmates scurried around for scholarships, and dealt with the stresses of college acceptance. Wasting their time and wasting their lives doing so. Their parents helping them at every turn. Comical, I told myself. As someone from a single parent home, I wasn't about to stress my mother over such nonsense that already had to deal with my younger siblings. Such an action would have been selfish. None of that college prestige mattered to me because I was already thinking outside of the box. I had already outperformed my classmates receiving the highest GPA while being at a disadvantage, so why continue along the same path as the other top students and allow them to succeed over me due to them having $$$. Such would have been a mistake. Why waste 4 years of my life living in a dorm room like a typical sheep? That's 4 years I could be in the field of work and getting PAID while learning. Are you kidding me?

How does one do this?

By using common sense. By being a risk taker.

What I did my senior year of HS was map out which employers in my area were Fortune 500 companies. Then I found out which ones offered full tuition for employees. Then I found out which ones were a quick commute to a college. I started using connections to find out who worked at these companies. Found some recent college grads that worked at a particular fortune 500 company through some childhood connections of mine. Something anyone can do. Befriended them and they got me in as a temp employee. Now it was go time. Either go all out and possibly get a job, or run the risk of making the most out of an opportunity. After 9 months, I was hired as an entry level technician. I was told that my college would be paid for if I stayed for 6 years. Took night classes while working full time. Graduated in 4 years and was 22 years old with already 4 years jump start on all those that were my age in my field. ZERO college debt. Undergrad PAID FOR by employer. Was it a nice and comfy lifestyle? No, it was hard and it sucked. Exceptional time management skills were required, and I didn't have them so I LEARNED them and I learned them quickly. There's no time to make a mistake. Every minute counts. But I still wasn't done, and went on to get ANOTHER 2 years of school paid for. I wasn't interested in college debt so I DECIDED that I wouldn't put myself into position to have college debt. Make a decision and make it come to pass.

And this was coming from just a middle class kid without both parents in the picture. These days I make good money and I live very very comfortably. I pay high taxes but that's all part of the game. At 19 years old I was already contributing to a Roth IRA and 401K, so at least I got to keep some of that money from being fully taxed. I'll retire at 50 and go into consulting. Done and done.

I'm sick of the excuses. I've been told all my life "oh, well that was a special set of circumstances that you fell into.." "oh these days you can't do that...." "oh you were born smart"

100% incorrect. Anyone can do this if they apply themselves.

I had to study my ass off in HS. I wasn't just born smart like those kids that never had to take a book home. I didn't get any inheritance from my relatives.

I don't have to wake up everyday knowing that the only reason why I have it good is because of someone else paying my way like many others do.

There is nothing like the feeling of waking up everyday knowing you did it on your own. Anyone who says otherwise just doesn't know.

I had to work while going to HS just to afford some of the same things the other kids had... and I still outperformed them even with all their free time. I tried to help out everyone of my friends but none of them listened. Now they are struggling in life. No one held my hand you just figure it out. You think out side of the box instead of doing what is comfortable. They wanted comfort. They were resistant to change.

So there's my rant for the day.

Bottom line is you don't need to come from the best school or come from money to wake up everyday knowing that you overcame the odds. To know that you made life worth living and there's nothing anyone could do or say that will change that outcome.

The message to these kids is to find a way to get your education, but make the employer pay for it. Find an employer and find a way to get it done. Doesn't have to be the way I did it. If I can do it, anyone can. Anything else is just an excuse or not trying hard enough. One thing I regret is that I didn't find time to serve my country in all this by getting into the military at some point. I'm envious of those that have. If I could go back, I would have found a way to make that work also.

Last edited by on3; 05-07-2019 at 09:42 PM..

Old 05-25-2019, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 357 times
I'm a teacher in Cincinnati Public Schools(no, not Walnut Hills High School), and I don't mean any disrespect to WHHS, its students, or its graduates, but I do think some major caveats need to be mentioned here for the rankings.

For starters, WHHS filters out students, similar to how many private schools filter out students based on academic ability, and/or behavior. Before students can go to WHHS, they have to take an Entrance Exam, and have at least a certain score to be able to even attend WHHS. So, of course WHHS will be one of the top ranked high schools in Ohio-it's one of the handful(if not only) public high schools in the state that actually filters out students based on their performance. Even though WHHS is a public school, it functions like a private school.

Now, let's look at Indian Hill High School, or Wyoming High School, which are always in the top of the Ohio state rankings for high schools. Both of these schools take whoever is in their community, and they don't filter students out by using an Entrance Exam. Of course, some people will say "But they are economically advantage compared to most students", but that same thing can be said about WHHS students-and they use an Entrance Exam to filter students

My point being, with any statistic, or ranking, there are always caveats, and there are always ways rankings can be misleading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati