Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 09:37 AM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
It's encouraging that Kroger is a leader in big data analytics in the grocery industry.
Perhaps they are but isn't that just saying you're the best player in the six foot and under basketball league since the grocery industry isn't the first place you think of when you think of applying leading edge technology?

Obviously their supply chain and replenishment component is robust but not without its flaws. I'll offer an example: I tried to buy oatmeal cookies at Kroger/Harris Teeter yesterday. The cookie category seems to be an inch wide and a mile deep in favor of chocolate products. There were five facings of a single SKU right beside five variations of the similar-type product with five facings. (Think "Chips Ahoy Chewy" right next to "Chips Ahoy Crunchy". ad nausium) on a 12 ft. shelf. What else was there? One Lemon flavor, two shortbread type products and zero oatmeal.

Now some might look at that as smart just stocking what moves, and that's fine but it comes with a price. That price is leaving the door open for a sharp competitor, ahh... someone like Amazon, who have in their DNA a business built on offering a wide selection of anything imaginable. For that matter, Aldi & Lidl while keeping their SKU count down still manage to offer a fairly diverse selection of products.

Different business models, yes, but the genie is out of the bottle where the American consumer is content with what Barney Kroger alone decides what to throw on the shelf. If that were not the case, none of Kroger's competitor would even exist and we'd all still be shopping at Sears so to speak.

Sorry for rambling, but I'm just not convinced KR (and a lot of other 'old-school' grocery entities) really take full advantage of what big data can offer. The Harvard piece seems to confirm that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 10:53 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
I don't live near a Kroger.

Aren't oatmeal cookies offered in the Kroger bakery section? Oatmeal cookies seem to be a mainstay in every grocery I shop in northeast Ohio, but only in the bakery from memory. Even Aldi's from memory carries oatmeal cookies.

I rarely buy cookies, but my pet peeve is that bakeries don't offer chocolate cookies with walnuts and pecans. Pepperidge Farm products typically are my only option when I want a good chocolate cookie with nuts. By buying vs. baking, I limit my consumption.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I don't live near a Kroger.

Aren't oatmeal cookies offered in the Kroger bakery section? Oatmeal cookies seem to be a mainstay in every grocery I shop in northeast Ohio, but only in the bakery from memory. Even Aldi's from memory carries oatmeal cookies.

I rarely buy cookies, but my pet peeve is that bakeries don't offer chocolate cookies with walnuts and pecans. Pepperidge Farm products typically are my only option when I want a good chocolate cookie with nuts. By buying vs. baking, I limit my consumption.
Yeah, I didn't think I was trying to hunt down a unicorn.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:15 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,143,001 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJWLd4nhLI4

Old 06-22-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
Thanks for putting that up Perry. I got a kick out of it, if for no other reason than I paid for three houses producing those kinds of videos for a time in my life. It ain't art, it didn't make me obscenely wealthy but it more than covered the bills

I wonder how that initiative worked out for K-Mart?

Be well.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:28 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,156,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Perhaps they are but isn't that just saying you're the best player in the six foot and under basketball league since the grocery industry isn't the first place you think of when you think of applying leading edge technology?
This is a poor analogy. I'm guessing you haven't been to a Kroger recently? Or at least not a Marketplace one?
Keep in mind Kroger adjusts to its markets, so some stores will be more like a Whole Foods while others will be more like a Save A Lot

Quote:
Obviously their supply chain and replenishment component is robust but not without its flaws. I'll offer an example: I tried to buy oatmeal cookies at Kroger/Harris Teeter yesterday. The cookie category seems to be an inch wide and a mile deep in favor of chocolate products. There were five facings of a single SKU right beside five variations of the similar-type product with five facings. (Think "Chips Ahoy Chewy" right next to "Chips Ahoy Crunchy". ad nausium) on a 12 ft. shelf. What else was there? One Lemon flavor, two shortbread type products and zero oatmeal.
Ah, that explains it. You're not from here, looks like you're from a Harris Teeter market and don't like that Kroger bought the chain. Fair enough. But if you're hinging the prospects of a grocery chain on its pre-packaged cookies (which are horrible for you by the way) then I don't understand why you don't just buy that processed crap in bulk from Amazon or Costco now. Heck, you could even set up your own MRP system and write your own macros to track your own cookie demand, and feed the EDI to Amazon.... what a world we live in while you're at it you can probably forecast the averse effects of those cookies too and feed it forward to your pharmacy to get appropriate medications.

Quote:
Now some might look at that as smart just stocking what moves, and that's fine but it comes with a price. That price is leaving the door open for a sharp competitor, ahh... someone like Amazon, who have in their DNA a business built on offering a wide selection of anything imaginable. For that matter, Aldi & Lidl while keeping their SKU count down still manage to offer a fairly diverse selection of products.
On this I agree 100%, any grocer needs to figure out how to succeed with flexible store floormats. Which is why I think Kroger wins the market.
How well is 365 going for Whole Foods?

Keep in mind this is a Kroger: Wellston
And so is this: Harrison
And this too: Dayton

Each one makes sense for its neighborhood

Quote:
Different business models, yes, but the genie is out of the bottle where the American consumer is content with what Barney Kroger alone decides what to throw on the shelf. If that were not the case, none of Kroger's competitor would even exist and we'd all still be shopping at Sears so to speak.
Valid point, which is why I think it's naieve at best (and totalitarian at worst) to think Mr. Bezos alone will decide what America can buy. It's a good company, sure (although that might be debatable...) but every company needs competition. I don't see what in your highest deity's name automatically disqualifies Kroger from being a strong competitor that beats Amazon on a number of points, including market saturation, supply chain, consumer analytics, and price.

Quote:
Sorry for rambling, but I'm just not convinced KR (and a lot of other 'old-school' grocery entities) really take full advantage of what big data can offer. The Harvard piece seems to confirm that.
You are fully convinced that Kroger is NOT taking advantage of its analytics.
Given you probably have never heard of Dunnhumby, I can see why this short-sighted assumption is the case.
Read this article

Old 06-22-2017, 04:15 PM

^ So much bile and so many assumptions...

If anyone's keeping score, you're batting well below the Mendoza line as far as what you think you know about me.

If you want to come back, be civil and play nice, I'll be happy to toss some ideas around with you. Otherwise, I really don't engage in rants picking apart a single post.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:23 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,156,848 times
Quote:
^ So much bile and so many assumptions...

If anyone's keeping score, you're batting well below the Mendoza line as far as what you think you know about me.

If you want to come back, be civil and play nice, I'll be happy to toss some ideas around with you. Otherwise, I really don't engage in rants picking apart a single post.
I call it how I see it.
Are my statements incorrect?

Old 06-22-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
I call it how I see it.
Are my statements incorrect?
No, you're right Sweet Prince of Vine Street. That's why the equity price is down over 34.9% over the last 52 weeks. Nice work.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:38 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Macy's had three or more years of steady continous stock price increase. And then, the day that Macy's CEO was called out for his political swipe at the then budding candidate Trump, the stock began the slide with no relief right up to today.

On July 15, 2015, the day of infamy, political operative, Terry Lundgren CEO was called out and the boycott began. The price of Macy's stock was $66/share on that date. Today it is $22/sh and it has been in a death spiral with no relief in sight.

Lundgren is a moron. And, the boycott has ruined what was once a thriving retailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Decline of Macy's, Kroger's-untitled-1-copy.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati