Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 07:05 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post

Hyde Park is the neighborhood you will want to visit. All of the nice City amenities surround Hyde Park. It is economically diverse, walkable, lovely and safe. An hour on a park bench in the Square on a Saturday afternoon following a nice lunch at one of the 66 decent bars or restaurants you can walk to, maybe a little shopping, is all you need to convince you to load up the U-Haul and find an affordable spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post

Wilson is also correct about Hyde Park. If you are pressed for time, I would pick Hyde Park over Mt. Adams. If you're not pressed for time, I'd do both.

I know you didn't ask, but over the next several years, I would also do Downtown Indianapolis if I were you, and a quick spin through the West side of Fort Wayne if you haven't already.
Thanks for the recommendations! It's funny you mention Indianapolis, because that's another city I've thought I'd like to explore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 07:41 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,143,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Thanks for the recommendations! It's funny you mention Indianapolis, because that's another city I've thought I'd like to explore.
We went there I don't know how many years ago when Ohio State was in the NCAA tournament. I really liked Indy's downtown area.

At the end of the day, it's just buildings, but if you enjoy seeing different streetscapes, Indy's not a bad place to go. The west side of Fort Wayne is also the old money side ... from Downtown to about Jefferson Pointe. That area always struck me as nice. I once spent an entire day driving around Fort Wayne. I liked the town, but then again I'm weird that way.

Dayton's worth a stop, especially Carillon Historical Park and the Air Force Museum. They have one of the JFK Air Force Ones there as well as the plane Eisenhower used before that. That alone is worth the stop. Admission to the Air Force Museum is free.

Downtown, Centerville, Bellbrook, Beavercreek and the Air Force base are worth seeing in Dayton. There's a Frank Lloyd Wright House in Springfield, Wittenburg University. Skip everything else.

Lima and Findlay are worth quick drive throughs. Lima has a decent Downtown and Findlay, because of Marathon and Cooper Tire, is a lot nicer than you would expect.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/evol...lery-1.2096807

http://www.cleveland.com/travel/inde...eum_grows.html

P.S. The first Air Force One is the plane on display in Dayton. Kennedy's dead body was flown home on it.

Last edited by PerryMason614; 08-22-2017 at 07:51 PM..

Old 08-22-2017, 10:50 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Indianapolis has many good things going on. Charm and character not included. It is utterly "charmless." If you would eat the same order at Big Boy restaurants every day and own a gold Kia Optima, you could live in Indianapolis.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:21 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,143,440 times
Quote:
Indianapolis has many good things going on. Charm and character not included. It is utterly "charmless." If you would eat the same order at Big Boy restaurants every day and own a gold Kia Optima, you could live in Indianapolis.
You're kind of right about the "charmlessness" but the Downtown is nice in a new office park sort of way, which at least at the time I saw it (about 15 years ago), made it nicer than most other downtowns of cities the same size. I don't know how I would react today and I don't remember too much of it, but I did like it.

I do think they have one or two hipster neighborhoods, but not sure where they are.

All I know is that the Columbus companies that went there (Lazarus, The Dispatch (WTHR), Huntington, Honda, Chase/Bank One), liked it and they stayed so it must be a good market.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:33 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
Quote:
The service and food in many of the Indianapolis area restaurants is sub par. I lived there long enough to know and still work there and it has not changed. Thankfully the food quality and level of service in the Cincinnati area is vastly superior to that of Indianapolis restaurants. Rarely have issues here in NKY or the OH side.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:45 AM

3,862 posts, read 3,140,061 times
What most people don't realize is that Hyde Park for all of its existence has been an upper class well to do neighborhood where the city's elite resided. Mount Adams on the other hand during its existence transformed from a well to do neighborhood in the late 19th century (where people of financial means would live as opposed to the overcrowded tenements of congested Over the Rhine) to a more diverse range of class in inhabitants / most visited neighborhood by tourists (due to the streetcar incline) in the early to mid 20th century similar to a present day Camp Washington then again to a well to do neighborhood by the 1970's till the present day. The two photos below was why Mt Adams was the neighborhood that had the highest amount of tourism before the streetcar incline was dismantled.
[IMG]DSC_2239 by GGG BBB, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]DSC_2233 by GGG BBB, on Flickr[/IMG]

The reason parking is awful in Mount Adams was that the neighborhood is still much intact from the horse and buggy days of the late 1800s.

The only time you will see a 3 hour traffic jam here in Cincinnati is if there is a traffic accident with a fatality or a semi tractor trailer has overturned. Traffic is congested on the highways during rush hour and will add about a few minutes to a half hour or 45 minutes to your drive time depending on on the distance of your destination. If you live in the city proper you can get to pretty much anywhere in a relatively short amount of time even during rush hour.

Last edited by Coseau; 08-23-2017 at 11:42 AM..

Old 08-23-2017, 12:31 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Of course, the Hyde Park is elitist meme is false. Only people unfamiliar with Hyde Park repeat it. It is a highly egalitarian middle class neighborhood. Median rent (for those of you from Kennedy Heights that means half are lower) $753/mo. that doesn't sound so elite to me. Half of the residents renting in HP are paying less than $753/mo.

Housing prices have soared in Hyde Park very recently due to the fact that there is no more land available here. Decent houses are being torn down. All of this is driven by the incredible quality of life offered in HP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati