Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 09:16 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,146,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
Iceland is amazing. I went there 2 years ago, by far the best vacation I've ever been on. I've been to 10 or 11 other countries but nothing will ever compare the beauty and wonder I viewed in Iceland. It's unlike any place on Earth. Plus the people there were incredibly welcoming and friendly. Do yourself a favor and visit, you will not be let down. I always wanted to go back and now it might be financially possible to do so.
Agreed! I've never seen Iceland and would love to see it. I just can't imagine wanting to add 19 hours to my trip to or from Europe just to see Iceland more than once or twice in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 04:44 PM

1,348 posts, read 792,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
Agreed! I've never seen Iceland and would love to see it. I just can't imagine wanting to add 19 hours to my trip to or from Europe just to see Iceland more than once or twice in my life.
As long as I grabbed some shut-eye from CVG to Reykjavik (6 hr flight time), I could totally enjoy the long layover. Chatting with locals is one of my favorite travel pastimes and I'm always amazed more people don't do it. You learn volumes. There are also amazing natural wonders to see/experience in Iceland.

Most of the layovers are only a few hours and as the airline analyzes their flight patterns and volumes, they will make adjustments to their schedules.

The line about 'inbreds' was funny. It reminded me of a bizarre story I'll share because it ties-in. Was on a cruise in Europe once and talking to an American woman who was married to a Spaniard. She told me that a couple centuries ago....get ready, it's gross.... it was a common practice in the small towns of Spain for a bride to have to submit herself to the Mayor the night before the wedding. I am not kidding and have since confirmed that that practice did exist.

Ok that's bad enough but, now project forward on this. She sleeps with her new hubby the next night and several immediately thereafter as newlyweds. Some, no doubt, became pregnant during that time. But, who's baby is it? Who knows! Keep projecting......baby grows up and eventually marries someone in their town.....who could be an unknown blood sibling!

So, yea, the inbred thing can get pretty weird and unintentionally so. It has produced some strange physical anomalies too. Hey, another tourist curiosity in European travel!

Old 10-17-2018, 02:10 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,146,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Everyone probably knows by now that a new airline just moved to the airport, but there's more to the story...

* Why 'international victory' of landing WOW Air is so significant for CVG - Insider - Story

* https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinna...-and-cvgs.html
Scroll down to near the end of this article until you see the subheading "CVG's (really) big year", and read to the end.
That was quick.

No more service to Cincinnati and Cleveland.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:14 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,629 times
You forgot St Louis. So it's not Cincy, it's the airline. WOW was rated the worst airline last year.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:44 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
^ Yup, we can close the book on this case. Rather than Cincinnati, Cleveland or St. Louis, it was WOW's own operating model that brought it down...

From WCPO, a summary:
https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news...-after-october

From the ENQUIRER, the details:
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...ti/1668483002/

From the BUSINESS JOURNAL, a body-slam by the editor:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinna...odbye-wow.html

Old 10-20-2018, 09:32 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
B B B By WOW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati