Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,639 times

Advertisements

Looking to return to Cincinnati after many years in some very big cities (east and west), to be closer to family in retirement. The major wrinkle is, unable to drive. Not a huge problem in a bigger city (I walk and bus everywhere and it's fine), but trickier in Cincinnati. WIll be working from home, if at all, so commuting is not a probleem.

Right now looking at buying a small house or condo in Oakley or Hyde Park because of the walkability to day to day necessities...several grocery stores, pharmacies, coffee shops, etc. The 12x bus seems to give good access to downtown. But I wouldn't mind a somewhat livlier and maybe more diverse area instead. Looking to spend 250-300 on a 1-2BR 1200-1400 ft2 place, to put it into perspective in terms of what's possible. Areas such as Clifton are appealing but the more residential areas seems really to be pretty car dependent. Walnut Hills, E. Walnut Hills, Mt. Adams are pretty underserved by major grocery stores (and I go for a salad or prepared food 4-5 times per week). Not sure I'm up to living in OTR although it's great to go out there.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 08:12 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,396,738 times
With only 1 post you are right on target. HP and Oakley are the only places in Cincinnati one would want to live without a car.

You can walk to everything anyone would ever need and if not, the bus service is exquisite. You won't get what you want for $300 but an old school 1 bedroom in a 4 plex might be had for $450 or so. It will be 700 square feet. If you want 1200 square foot 2 bedroom, for $300 you will need to renew your passport and get your shots up to date.

Last edited by Wilson513; 08-29-2017 at 08:28 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 04:51 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,003,898 times
Taking verbatim only what you've disclosed about yourself, Oakley and Hyde Park are your safest residential choices overall. Combined, their plethora of amenities are substantial and their reputations as two of Cincinnati's most livable neighborhoods are well deserved. Whether Oakley or Hyde Park are the only places you could live w/o a car is debatable, but that can be discussed at a later time, if you wish. The only specific thing I'd like to add is that you consider Rt.#11 to downtown; for all purposes, it's a much better choice than Rt.#12X.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:50 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,960,711 times
Parts of Norwood should work and with a better chance of meeting your price range. Of course it's nowhere as desirable a neighborhood as the ones mentioned.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:04 AM

549 posts, read 845,313 times
Metro does a great job in the City, but things get significantly more difficult in the suburbs. Being close to a crosstown route (31, 41, 51) is a great idea, as they are lifelines if you're going anywhere outside of downtown.
Walnut Hills and Clifton Heights are pretty good neighborhoods for transit access too, and they're both on the way up. The new Kroger in Corryville is just of Route 31, which is my favorite route.
Clifton and Northside are both well served by transit (Northside is the 2nd busiest hub outside of downtown), and the Corryville Kroger is accessible from both on Route 19, but the frequency isn't the best on that route. You won't get stranded, but you might have to wait a little longer at the store to get home. (The good news is that Route 19 is the closest you'll get to a stop at the main entrance of any grocery store.)

I would recommend Walnut Hills, as close as you can get to McMillan & Gilbert. The neighborhood is a little gritty at the moment but there are a lot of great things happening there right now, it's VERY well served by transit, and it gives you the most options to get to the grocery store of your choice: (Corryville Kroger via Route 31, Surrey Square Kroger via Routes 4 & 90, Fresh Market, Fresh Thyme, Meijer, and Oakley Kroger via Route 11), and it's near to various entertainment districts (Over-the-Rhine & Downtown via Route 11, Mt. Adams via Route 1, Clifton Heights via Route 31, Shopping at Kenwood via Route 4, Hyde Park & Oakley via Route 11, etc.) It's a good spot to be.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:08 AM

649 posts, read 811,732 times
You will need to share an apartment in Norwood at that price point. The low end of safe 1br apartments is around $550 and that is a stretch. Montgomery Rd. btwn where it crosses Sherman and Williams is a retail/postoffice/grocery zone and a bus should run all the way (slowly) down Montgomery to downtown. It is not a lovely bus ride but it will get you there. I wouldn't ride that route all the way home at night however.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:11 AM

649 posts, read 811,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
I would recommend Walnut Hills, as close as you can get to McMillan & Gilbert. The neighborhood is a little gritty at the moment but there are a lot of great things happening there right now, it's VERY well served by transit, and it gives you the most options to get to the grocery store of your choice: (Corryville Kroger via Route 31, Surrey Square Kroger via Routes 4 & 90, Fresh Market, Fresh Thyme, Meijer, and Oakley Kroger via Route 11), and it's near to various entertainment districts (Over-the-Rhine & Downtown via Route 11, Mt. Adams via Route 1, Clifton Heights via Route 31, Shopping at Kenwood via Route 4, Hyde Park & Oakley via Route 11, etc.) It's a good spot to be.

No, just, no. Live somewhere where you do not need to take the bus to the grocery. I would never ever recommend that a stranger to Cincinnati move to McMillan and Gilbert, and I lived there and used the Peebles corner Kroger for years.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:32 AM

114 posts, read 227,898 times
The OP mentioned buying a place so doesn't that mean the price range is $250,000-$300,000?? If that is a monthly rent range like everyone else seemed to assume then HP and Oakley are completely off the table....

Old 08-30-2017, 07:41 AM

610 posts, read 792,119 times
You can get a nice house in Oakley for that price range. IE: https://www.sibcycline.com/Listing/C...akley-OH-45209

Hyde Park would be a challenge in that price range. As far as living w/o a car, it's doable. I think Oakley would be my top choice (after OTR/Downtown/Pendleton). You can walk to Fresh Market, Remke, 2 Krogers, Meijer, Fresh Thyme and Whole Foods. Plus all the other stores, restaurants and bars in the area. Plenty of bus routes. Clifton-Gaslight has plenty of options but if you need something other than what can you find on Ludlow you'll need a car, bus or uber somewhere. Really the same is true for E Walnut Hills, Walnut Hills and Mt Adams. If you can't find what you want in the neighborhood you're trekking.

Last edited by cincydave8; 08-30-2017 at 07:50 AM..

Old 08-30-2017, 07:43 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,003,898 times
In considering a home to buy, keep in mind that Norwood probably will offer you a bigger selection of choices within your price range, is centrally located, highly walkable and superbly served at its Surrey Square central core by three major bus routes that traverse the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati