Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2008, 08:16 AM

325 posts, read 1,125,211 times

Advertisements

NighyBaazar, I don't remember that one. It could be I wasn't over to that side since I was so young at the time. I realized more about the Manor after we moved back. What direction was it at? I'll ask my brother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 08:39 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyden View Post
NighyBaazar, I don't remember that one. It could be I wasn't over to that side since I was so young at the time. I realized more about the Manor after we moved back. What direction was it at? I'll ask my brother.
It was on the east side of the manor, south on an alley just off Kingsley Drive, and about a block away from where we lived. It was on the east side of the alley. There were no apartment buildings on that side of the alley, just a large mowed field behind it and a dog leg of the gully.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:12 AM

69 posts, read 269,633 times
Quote:
ChiDiana, It's good to see you join us. You are right about the laundramats. Some of the apartments courts had them in the center apartments, and like you said you could enter them from either side in the back of the building. It was sorta like a slope, it was fun to ride your bikes down the slopes. Like NightBaazar said there was a big laundramat , it was next to the daycare or nursary as they called it which was caddy corner behind the drug store.
I know of one native american faily that lived in the apartment on the corner of Eastwood and Kingsley, it faced Eastwood Dr. I remember this because it was caddy corner across from our building and I would sometimes walk with a girl from that family to either the bus stop at the end of Eastwood Circle or Lyons. Their last name was Spottedhorse. The girls first name was Robin and she was deaf. I don't remember how long they lived there though. I would guess that the boys you were talking about probably worked for the Manor, there was a maintance building connected to the big laundramat. The Manor had several crews of workers that maintained the yards and painted the buildings and whatever else needed done. It will be nice if you can find those photos. I'll come across some when I get out my christmas stuff. Bye for now, Hyden
OMG!!! I knew Robbie Spottedhorse! I spent the night at her apt. once when I came back to visit friends for a party. She was a sweet girl. I felt bad when I stayed there because they had so many people living in their apt there really wasn't room for one more. This would have been around 1968-69.

The native american boys I referred to were there when I lived there in 1963-64. One of the 2 (I believe they were brothers) was possibly mentally impaired, and was very big. I remember seeing some of the boys in the neighborhood teasing him, trying to goad him into a fight. I seem to remember someone saying at the time that they worked for the Manor to help with the rent.

Now, I'm wondering if they WERE from the Spottedhorse family. Maybe the older one was deaf?

Old 11-09-2008, 06:51 PM

NightBaazar, I stand corrected I talked to my brother today and he said there was another laundramat on the other side, like back in the area of kingsley and shelbourne. Sorry about that Hyden

Old 11-09-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
NightBaazar, I stand corrected I talked to my brother today and he said there was another laundramat on the other side, like back in the area of kingsley and shelbourne. Sorry about that Hyden

Yes, that's the location. No need to be sorry about anything. I'm having a hard time remembering the laundromat behind the drug store. LOL! I never spent much time back in that area. It's been too many years ago. Everybody's input on this thread helps us all put the pieces together of what was once there.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:24 AM

60 posts, read 166,114 times
Here's an aerial from 1968:

http://www.historicaerials.com/?poi=2915

Old 11-18-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GManorborn View Post

HistoricAerials.com

WOW! That's an excellent view!

And welcome to this thread!

Old 11-18-2008, 08:38 PM

69 posts, read 269,633 times
I agree it is an excellent view...Thanks!!

BTW, Classmatesxcom has Stratford Manor listed as a neighborhood on their webstie for anyone interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GManorborn View Post

HistoricAerials.com

Old 11-18-2008, 09:01 PM

GManorborn, THANK YOU THANK YOU . I was soo excited when I seen this. I imeditally called my brother (who was watching a UK game). I sent it to him, we are going to go over it together. I know my daughters will think I'm ready for the farm now !!! That's ok , I still haven't signed the will yet LOL.
Did you work for GM? My dad and brother both retired from there. Anyway it's good to see someone new on here. Thanks Again, Hyden

Old 11-18-2008, 09:04 PM

Thanks, CHiDiana, I'll try look for it. Do you ever email anyone form there?
Hyden
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati