Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 07:49 AM

26 posts, read 85,823 times

Advertisements

A.F.D., thanks so much for the info. I'm sure now that it was Donna. It is a shame that we can't have some kind of reunion near Stratford Manor with the people who lived there as kids - or those who went to Eastwood Elementary. It would be nice to see each other face to face and talk over old times. We all have such a special place in our hearts for that place....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 11:49 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GManorborn View Post
Found some pitures of Eastwood, Oakley & Madisonville schools:

Old Ohio Schools - Hamilton County

GManorborn, nice collection of old school photos in that link. The info about Eastwood says it was demolished and no longer exists. From satellite photos though, it looks like it might still be there, unless it was demolished within the last year. I went to Oakley School for one year when we first moved into the Manor. The next year, Eastwood opened up and I went through the 5th and 6th grades there.

Maybe I missed it in the photos but I didn't see any mention about Withrow High, but maybe the listing is just about old schools that are gone or about to be.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:11 PM

Default Eastwood Class Photos

Speaking of schools, here are a number of school class photos from Eastwood Grade School, thanks to Hyden and her sister for providing them. These go back to the late-50s to the 60s. Most include the year, grade, and teacher's name. Click the thumbnail to bring up the photo, then click the photo to enlarge to full size.
Attached Thumbnails
1950's-1970's Stratford Manor & Eastwood Village-eastwood2.jpg   1950's-1970's Stratford Manor & Eastwood Village-eastwood3.jpg   1950's-1970's Stratford Manor & Eastwood Village-eastwood4.jpg   1950's-1970's Stratford Manor & Eastwood Village-eastwood5.jpg   1950's-1970's Stratford Manor & Eastwood Village-eastwood6.jpg  

1950's-1970's Stratford Manor & Eastwood Village-eastwood7.jpg   1950's-1970's Stratford Manor & Eastwood Village-eastwood8a.jpg  

Last edited by NightBazaar; 01-21-2009 at 12:22 PM..

Old 01-21-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye54 View Post
I lived in Stratford Manor back in the mid to late 50's. I do remember going to Mansion Hill. Wasn't there a park across the street from the 'Manor', had a swimming pool ? Us kids played kick the can in the middle yard between all of the apt. buildings.

WOO! You lived there the same time I did. We moved out around 1958 (I think). There was a swimming pool built somewhere on the West side of the Manor, but that wasn't until, but that didn't happen until after we had moved. Maybe that's what you're thinking about?

We used to climb up Mansion Hill every so often. Do you remember the abandoned house that was at the top?

I don't remember any of the kids around where we live playing kick the can, but in the summer, all the kids (boys and girls) around out area would scrounge up large cardboard boxes or old blankets and clothes pin them to to the fence around the playground and camp out on hot summer nights. I think it was also an excuse to stay up late at night too.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:19 PM

26 posts, read 85,823 times
Default Class photos from Eastwood

I knew many of the kids in the class photos - especially the first one of the 4th grade class. I had Elizabeth Allen for 4th grade homeroom, but many of the kids in that photo were in my 3rd grade class with Miss Wheeldon. Also, Mr. Duning was my PE teacher and science (?) teacher in 4th grade - so nice to see a photo of him! This brought back so many great memories...thank you, Hyden.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:32 PM

204 posts, read 744,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
GManorborn, nice collection of old school photos in that link. The info about Eastwood says it was demolished and no longer exists. From satellite photos though, it looks like it might still be there, unless it was demolished within the last year. I went to Oakley School for one year when we first moved into the Manor. The next year, Eastwood opened up and I went through the 5th and 6th grades there.

Maybe I missed it in the photos but I didn't see any mention about Withrow High, but maybe the listing is just about old schools that are gone or about to be.
NightBazaar~

The photos are of schools that no longer exist. Some schools were demolished, and then another school built on the same sight. Some of the buildings still exist, but are not schools anymore.

I am not sure what is on the property where Eastwood was. Withrow is still in the same old building it has been for many years.

And GManorborn~

Thanks for the link. What a great group of photos!!

Old 01-21-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soozycue520 View Post
NightBazaar~

The photos are of schools that no longer exist. Some schools were demolished, and then another school built on the same sight. Some of the buildings still exist, but are not schools anymore.

I am not sure what is on the property where Eastwood was. Withrow is still in the same old building it has been for many years.

Right, it looked like most of the photos are of those that are either long gone or about to face the wrecking ball.

Do you know if Eastwood has in fact been torn down? The caption describes it as "Demolished" and "Gone". There's a satellite photo in one of my earlier posts, and it looks like it's still standing, although it might not be used as a school anymore. But it doesn't look demolished or gone to me. The satellite photo is from last June. Duck Creek Road is marked. The school is to the left of what's now called Eastwood Drive. There's also another image that shows the school (below the first photo).

//www.city-data.com/forum/4084926-post24.html

Old 01-21-2009, 02:11 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Do you know if Eastwood has in fact been torn down?
NightBazaar, I think I mentioned this upthread, but Eastwood has been razed and replaced with a new building, the new home of Shroder High School.

They're closing and tearing down buildings right and left, moving schools around ... I'm glad I didn't have kids in the school system when I lived in Madisonville!

Thanks to whoever posted the web site about the old Ohio schools. It's fascinating.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:11 PM

325 posts, read 1,124,319 times
NightBazaar, Thank you so much for posting these photo's for me!!!! These pictures are of my brother grds.1-6. He is always in front. In the 1st picture in front he is the 4th boy from the left, his name is Charles Hyden Jr. He passed away in 2003 at the age of 53. The kindergarden picture is my sister Carolyn ( Do-bee) Hyden 4th girl from the left in front. I hope some of you remember someone from them. Hyden

Old 01-21-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
NightBazaar, I think I mentioned this upthread, but Eastwood has been razed and replaced with a new building, the new home of Shroder High School.

They're closing and tearing down buildings right and left, moving schools around ... I'm glad I didn't have kids in the school system when I lived in Madisonville!

Thanks to whoever posted the web site about the old Ohio schools. It's fascinating.

Thanks Ohiogirl81! I either forgot about your post or missed it. The bldg in the satellite photo looks strikingly like the old Eastwood, but admittedly the satellite photos aren't crystal clear when magnifed for a closer view. I just figured it was the same building but converted for some other use. Looks kinda small for a high school. I just looked at Google Maps and see what appears to be a fairly good-sized school on the right side of Red Bank Road. I thought someone said that's where the high school was located, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

You're right about buildings of all kinds being demolished right and left. Built one day and leveled the next. Nothing stays the same forever. It's happening all over the country, all over the world for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati