Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 02:54 PM

46 posts, read 78,429 times

Advertisements

For all of those Manor folks
Come one come all
There will be a get together on the 24th at Drake park ( that's Mansion Hill for some )
you can bring food and drink and spouse or any thing as long as we get to see you
if you know anyone not on line please let them know
My # 513 349 8366
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 06:11 PM

185 posts, read 458,516 times
Dang Ernie,I can`t make it that weekend lol.Maybe another time....

Old 07-09-2010, 09:29 PM

48 posts, read 88,327 times
Everytime I read over some of these posts they bring back more memories, tonight I was reading and remembered standing on the couch watching out the window for my Dad to come home from work. I couldn't have been over three years old. I guess I remember it because I did it so much.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:34 PM

56 posts, read 106,811 times
Smile manor get togather

hi ernie what time on the 24th i will try to come. looking forward to meeting every one

Old 07-14-2010, 03:48 PM

3 posts, read 5,445 times
I am still slogging my way through this, up to page 56 now and May of 2009, so lots of reading to do. School pictures on page 31, Mrs. Everly Room 106, 1961, I am the pigeoned toed blond girl in the front row.

I went to Eastwood school from K to the first half of the 6th grade, then we moved during the Christmas break. I am going to check with my folks for our exact address in the Manor, I remembered it called Eastwood Manor then, but then I also remember it being called Statford Manor for some reason. I think our address was either 5488 Eastwood Dr. Apt. B or 3488. It was near the end where the road ran up the hill to the Park and it was across from the cornfields. I remember when they started construction on the highway right across the street from the apartment buildings.

My absolute favorite teacher ever was Mr. Shadd though when I was a kid, I thought it was Mr. Shed, at least it was pronounced that way. :>

Louie the Popsicle man was a very sweet old man. I don't think he could stand straight, though it might of been he was bent over because he was in the truck every time I saw him? I remember he would drive with the door open and beat on an old red nicked fire bell that was attached to the side of his driver's seat and he beat on it with the head of a hammer without a handle to it. He would let down the wooden side on the truck and it acted as a make-shift counter that he laid your purchases on. I remember he wore a baseball hat most often and had long nose hairs. Because as a kid, that was something that stuck out to me. :>

I remember it was a treat to go to the pool and they chased us out to let the adults swim for like 15mins or so without kids and they would go around the edge of the pool dumping chlorine in the pool then have all the kids sit on the sides and kick like crazy to stir it up.

I remember the little section of woods that seemed like a jungle to us kids. And the playgrounds with teeter totters and a little spinning thing you got going as fast as you could and jumped on to go around and round till you were dizzy. I remember the slides that got as firecrackers in the sun and we would eat crackers in the waxed paper and rub it on the metal slides to make them slicker and shoot off the slides when we went down. And swings. I broke my arm on the playground in 3rd grade because we would run up one side of the teeter totter and down the other when it tilted and I fell off one time when alone. I never did admit to my folks exactly how I did that. :>

Growing up there with all those kids to play with was the best thing ever. As a child I loved that place and as an adult I love those memories. I can remember walking to school, learning to ride a bike in the back alley without hands. The section behind the apartments on Kingsley with the big dip and cement block in the center. And I too remember that flooding each time it rained real hard and clogging up till there was a mini lake there for days. I remember the laundry that had the up and down ramp on the bottom floor of the building behind ours across the alley and how it too flooded when it rained too hard. I remember walking through Eastwood Circle to reach Madison and the bus stop to wait for my mom to get off the bus after work. And going to Girl Scouts in the basement of the church right behind the bus stop on Madison road there. Thriftway, the Drugstore, collecting bottles to cash in to buy candy and Christmas gifts. And in Oakley across from the Elementary I too went to the little store with the glass cases and penny candy. I went to the Ambasador and the 20th Century Fox for movies. Ate at the Skyline that was next to the 20th Century Fox and between it and the Laundromat.

I remember when I was a little kid and Kennedy was killed and my babysitter was bawling like crazy and I thought it was about her soaps. And I remember when the Beatles were coming to America and they called it the Invasion and my friend and I were little kids and collecting bugs so we were really expecting an invasion of bugs like locust. LOL! We spent days looking up for those bugs to come in a swarm. LOL!

Wow, so many things, so many good memories. I'm glad I found this and I'm going to continue reading till I catch up!

Old 07-14-2010, 04:44 PM

3 posts, read 5,445 times
Someone mentioned the Berrys? I remember a Holly and she had an older brother named Jeff I believe.

Also the two Native boys? One was Raymond and I think the other was Charles, but not sure on the Charles part. One was very tall and handicapped. He always wore a canvas pouch like handy men wear and it had nails and a hammer in it. He would hammer just about anything on to the telephone poles, can lids mostly. And if he found a pair of shoes, he would tie the laces together and throw them up over the phone lines. His smaller brother was real smart. I remember they went to a different school and the bus picked them up in front of our group of apartments. I really liked them and when other kids picked on Raymond, I would chase them off.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:54 PM

46 posts, read 78,429 times
Hey there and welcome ,keep reading theres so much more and after that get on facebook and hook up with us there
would like to know your name and who you knew
danny noah the party starts at 12 goes till the last person leaves i guess
and of course your welcome to mooneclipse

Old 07-14-2010, 05:27 PM

325 posts, read 1,124,319 times
Mooneclipse, Reallly glad to see you on here and read your memories !!! Ernie told me to come read it..We are on facebook under Stratford Manor/ Eastwood Village..we are having a get together at Drake Park ( Mansion Hill ) on july 24 at 12:00 , we would love to have you ...the school picture you are refering to is my sisters, she will be there for the gathering...I remember most of what your saying...there was no other place like the Manor !! I think that most that lived there would have to admit.. Come over to facbook and see our new site....Betty Hyden

Old 07-14-2010, 09:07 PM

185 posts, read 458,516 times
Welcome Mooneclipse,sounds as though you came to the manor after I moved from there.We all hold that place and time dear to our hearts.Glad to have you join us.Come see us on Facebook.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:54 AM

101 posts, read 228,828 times
welcome mooneclipse, i had forgotten about the wax paper on the slide. we had a playground right outside our backdoor at 5391 eastwood dr. our bungalow was closest to the pool in the curve of the alley that led by pool. you appear to be the age of or close to that of my sister, sandy pratt. nice to have you here..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati