U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 08:26 PM

5,477 posts, read 8,847,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by worseck View Post
In the area east of Red Bank Road/Expressway and north of Madison Road, there has been a school location for many years. Names of the various incarnations on that site include Lyon High School, John Parker, School and Andersen Place School, among others. Does anyone know whether there was a school in that location back in 1941 and/or 1942? If so, what was the name of the school?
I know the school you're talking about. It was a jr. high school called Lyon Jr. High School. I was in part of the 7th grade there in in 1959, until we moved out of the area in April. At the time, it seemed sleek and modern, and was a 2 or 3 story building (I can't recall). I don't know when it was built, but it couldn't have been very old. It's possible there had been earlier school on that property back in the early-1940s, but I don't really know the history of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 08:42 AM

20 posts, read 122,350 times
This morning I was looking at Amazon's page that discusses one of the "Images of America" series by the Arcadia Publishing Co. I have a number of these books and they provide a lot of info and pictures on various cities and towns. They have recently published one on Madisonville. One of the pictures shown was the Lyons school which opened on the location that I have been studying. It opened in 1956, According to the caption on the picture this was the first of several public education buildings on the site, . So, my question has been answered. I appreciate your help in searching this out..

Old 08-17-2012, 07:52 PM

56 posts, read 96,309 times
Does any one remember gary darby he works here at GE. He lived in a bunglow on eastwood dr. The last one befor the open area were we played baseball. Befor gary there was a boy jim parks he had a little sister i can not recall her name. let me know if you can? gary went to lyons to .

Old 08-19-2012, 04:50 PM

18 posts, read 25,922 times
Any of you that may have been from the Trail should also check out FB page (Shawanoe Trail - Cincinnati)

Old 08-24-2012, 03:49 PM

Default rick scott and face book

Every time we get a new member they end up on face book and dont come back to our thread. Rick dont foget this form hope to talk with you some more about are childhood and all the people we new in the manor or trail. How about all the other people who do face book ,dont for get us were still reading this form.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:15 PM

6 posts, read 9,612 times
I lived in Strafford Manor from 1959-1964. It was a wonderful place to live. I attended Eastwood Elementary and Lyon Jr High. We moved to TN when I started my sophmore year. We lived on Eastwood Drive. My sistern brother and I loved going to the pool. We went to the church at the end of Eastwood and Red Bank Rd. My mom worked at Nutone. I often wonder what happened to the friends we had there. I have such wonderful memories.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:22 PM

5,477 posts, read 8,847,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraLowe View Post
I lived in Strafford Manor from 1959-1964. It was a wonderful place to live. I attended Eastwood Elementary and Lyon Jr High. We moved to TN when I started my sophmore year. We lived on Eastwood Drive. My sistern brother and I loved going to the pool. We went to the church at the end of Eastwood and Red Bank Rd. My mom worked at Nutone. I often wonder what happened to the friends we had there. I have such wonderful memories.
Hi Barbara. Glad to have you join the forum. I left the Manor about the time you moved in. Love to hear about your memories.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:37 PM

18 posts, read 25,922 times
Danny, I'm still here checking daily pretty much.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:14 PM

6 posts, read 9,612 times
We lived on Eastwood Dr. I don't remember the number. Our apt. bldg was the one with a vacant lot beside it. We played softball, volleyball and all sorts of games there. I remember walking to the drugstore and grocery shopping with my mom at Thriftway. My little brother got his first haircut from Dave at the barbershop. During the summer we played outside from morning till night only going inside for meals. Sometime we would take a lunch and go to mansion hill. We loved going to the pool almost everyday during the summer. I try to tell my kids and grandkids about how wonderful it was growing up there but I don't think they get it. We lived there until after 7th grade and then we moved to Golf Manor. I went to Schroder Jr High(which I hated) the first part of 8th grade. We then moved to Swanee Trail where I went back to Lyon and finished 8th and 9th grade. We then moved to TN which was very difficult for me. All of my favorite childhood memories are from living in Stratford Manor. Some of the people I remember living there are Gary Gilmore, Ronnie and Duane Combs, Ronnie Wilson, Donna Fain, Craig(he lived upstairs from us but don't remember his last name), Larry Cox, Gary Manning, Monte Daugherty, Tony and Larry Estes, Patrick McQueary and Kris Ritchie. It seems I remember mostly boys. I don't know why that is haha! My dad used to call all of the the boys that lived there stratford manor boys. I think because when we moved to Golf Manor and Swanee Trail some of them would come see me and my sister. He would always say how did those Stratford Manor boys find us. My mom and dad both passed away last year. I stayed with my mom and took care of her for 5 months before she passed. She often talked about Stratford Manor and how much she loved it. I am so glad I found out about this group. It is great to talk about it to people who lived there and understand how special it was to live there. I would be very interested in coming to a reunion.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:57 AM

Default Welcome

Hi barbare nice to have you on this form seem you have the same feelings as most do about there time they lived in the manor. You said you new ronnie combs he was one of my best buds we played ball in the open lot on eastwood dr. about every day. I lived on kingsley dr. From 1963 to around 1967. Do you remember dave louden steve bushelman harold jorden or edmon rose. I all so lived in the trail on aniotion ct. So we had to cross each other from time to time, any way fellow up soom and maybe we did know each other .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati