U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2013, 09:48 PM

185 posts, read 407,654 times

Advertisements

Hello Joe,nice to read your post.Hope you and Nightbazaar both will join us on facebook.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,844 times
The Gaylor's -5011 Kingsley 1st floor on right

Since I was born 12/26/1961 and resided at 5011 Kingsley 1st floor and my father Alva G Gaylor working at GM , and wife Alice Gaylor working at Commercial Union downtown Cinti, at Carew tower & the 580 building later in her career, my memories are from 1st grade which would of been around 1965-66. The area as I grew up were of areas described earlier in pages 1-3 . I also remember at age 8,9 there being a large pool to the left of Kingsley Dr. and a wooded area where young boys would run and play in the hilly areas and ravines as mentioned. I also remember the era of Interstate I-71 and watching it being built in the 1960's near 1970. We left the area around 1972 to move into the Norwood area nearer to GM . In the 1963-4 to 1970 era the Eastwood /Stratford Manor duplexes had begun to turn toward a crime riddled and scary time to live in . We were moved after declining safety was felt and we had several scary incidents also that led to us to decide to move. But in the earlier era as mentioned there were many fun memories as a childhood boy running the woods and exploring, swinging from roped or cable swings across gorges and ravines that led to a pond across what now is Interstate I-71. And of the swimming pool of course as it was a yearly summer fun enjoyment which became a daily routine for a child to look forward to during summer break. We ended up moving to 5924 Carthage Court in a brick Terra Cotta roofed large home belonging to a man from West Chester that owned a large sod farm near Maud Ohio . There were many good times and many good memories of the store nearby in the community along with the pool and the wooded area surrounding the Manor. Daniel Drake Park north and nearby also to go in winter to slide the hills in snow by sled or whatever means possible at the time, be it a plastic lid or cardboard. There were times of visiting the old Nearby Cemetary and as a child it was interesting reading of the age of those born there and when. Wondering their what their influence was on the area and things they may of seen and did as survivors of the area. Probably owners and residents as usual of the nearby area. There was also a pond across the road on the south side of Duck Creek road that me my brother Jeff would go to see turtles and such. The memories of nearby Madison Drive in movie Theatre also are still fresh in my memory as even a young child living and growing up in that era. As with many areas, crime and lack of upkeep left the Manor in a declining mode of needed repair. And crime increased and our safety felt there declined also as time went by.
Enjoyed reading the information and re-living the memories in this collection of others memories .
Terrence E. Gaylor
I attended Eastwood Elementary from approx. 1966-1970.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:16 PM

5,460 posts, read 8,635,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence E.Gaylor View Post
The Gaylor's -5011 Kingsley 1st floor on right.
That was cool to read. Sounds like the building you lived in was fairly close to the one we lived in. Our address was 5049 Kingsley. We moved out of the Manor in 1959. It's unfortunate that the place went downhill. Fortunately, my own personal memories of the place was that it was one of the most unique places to live where people really were good neighbors and friends to have and know during the time we lived there. I'll always remember the people I knew and the times I had living there. I wish I knew how they are and what they're doing now.

Just curious, but how did you happen to find this thread?

Old 12-29-2013, 08:27 PM

185 posts, read 407,654 times
Hope all of my manor friends had a wonderful Christmas and I hope everyone has a very Happy New Year!!!

Old 07-21-2014, 11:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,366 times
I am late to the party & not sure if anyone still gets on this thread. I lived in the manor from 1960 to 1966, 1st grade through 6th. My sister Ethel Witherspoon is in 2 of the class pix posted on page 31.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terig View Post
I am late to the party & not sure if anyone still gets on this thread. I lived in the manor from 1960 to 1966, 1st grade through 6th. My sister Ethel Witherspoon is in 2 of the class pix posted on page 31.
Hi Terig. What part of the Manor did you live?

Old 09-07-2014, 07:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,504 times
Default Eastwood elementary

ran across this forum while searching for an old newspaper article concerning me in the 60's

had no idea it existed!! wow, bringing back some good memories

i grew up in stratford manor , at the end of strathmore , near the woods (my playground)

started 1st grade there in 1962,
moved to sharonville in '68 where i started 6th grade

my 5th grade science/gym teacher's name was Mr. Shadd (Roland )
to my surprise, later on, he was my teacher again, at princeton high school , class of '74

i can vividly remember mrs. mcartney, principal of eastwood , and mrs. sloan, my 2nd grade teacher.

november 22, '63, mrs mcartney tapps on the glass in the door, motions for mrs sloan to come out to hallway
she came back in the room in tears and told the class about JFK .

over the years i have ran across a few "stratfordians"

i still have not located the newspaper article though

brent hartman

Old 09-07-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTMAN B View Post
ran across this forum while searching for an old newspaper article concerning me in the 60's

had no idea it existed!! wow, bringing back some good memories

i grew up in stratford manor , at the end of strathmore , near the woods (my playground)

started 1st grade there in 1962,
moved to sharonville in '68 where i started 6th grade

my 5th grade science/gym teacher's name was Mr. Shadd (Roland )
to my surprise, later on, he was my teacher again, at princeton high school , class of '74

i can vividly remember mrs. mcartney, principal of eastwood , and mrs. sloan, my 2nd grade teacher.

november 22, '63, mrs mcartney tapps on the glass in the door, motions for mrs sloan to come out to hallway
she came back in the room in tears and told the class about JFK .

over the years i have ran across a few "stratfordians"

i still have not located the newspaper article though

brent hartman
Hi Brent. Good memories indeed. Some articles going back to the esrly 60's might be a little hard to find online, although the newspaper probably has it archived. Was it in the Cincinnati Enquirer?

Old 09-07-2014, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Hi Brent. Good memories indeed. Some articles going back to the esrly 60's might be a little hard to find online, although the newspaper probably has it archived. Was it in the Cincinnati Enquirer?
i dont know what paper it was
i was only 9 or 10 at the time
i know my mom had it in a photo album at one time
i'll check with her today

Old 01-14-2015, 06:05 PM

25 posts, read 27,820 times
Here is the "Eastwood School Patrol" picture from 1957.
Attached Thumbnails
1950's-1970's Stratford Manor & Eastwood Village-1957-school-patrol.jpg  

Last edited by StanDoff; 01-14-2015 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: Add picture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati