Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 10:06 AM

31 posts, read 227,917 times

Advertisements

I have been reading the posts here. I will be traveling up through Cincy area next month and will try to get pics from up on the old Mansion Hill looking out across where Stratford Manor used to be. I have no idea what that will be like but curious to find out. Here's a Cincinnati Skyline picture from the mid 1950's
Attached Thumbnails
1950's-1970's Stratford Manor & Eastwood Village-cincy.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 11:17 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Nice photo David. I see Carew Tower in the background, and a paddlewheel river boat in the foreground. I remember taking an evening/dinner cruise on one of the river boats during the 50s. I seem to recall there was tugboat along with it. I wonder if that might be the same one. I can't remember the name of it, but it seems like it was the River Queen or Delta Queen or something like that. Seems like most of the paddlewheelers along the Ohio and Mississippi rivers have "Queen" attached to the names.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:42 AM

101 posts, read 228,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Nice photo David. I see Carew Tower in the background, and a paddlewheel river boat in the foreground. I remember taking an evening/dinner cruise on one of the river boats during the 50s. I seem to recall there was tugboat along with it. I wonder if that might be the same one. I can't remember the name of it, but it seems like it was the River Queen or Delta Queen or something like that. Seems like most of the paddlewheelers along the Ohio and Mississippi rivers have "Queen" attached to the names.
you are correct NB, the Delta Queen has been around for yrs.. However this past spring i read where she might have to be retired due to some waterworthy reasons.. Hope not beautiful to look at , at reds games u can see her sometimes. also they hold the Tallstacks here every few yearsand have alot of riverboats from all over.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrryprat View Post
you are correct NB, the Delta Queen has been around for yrs.. However this past spring i read where she might have to be retired due to some waterworthy reasons.. Hope not beautiful to look at , at reds games u can see her sometimes. also they hold the Tallstacks here every few yearsand have alot of riverboats from all over.
Jerry, I wouldn't be a bit surprised she'll be retired soon. It was pretty old and rickety when I cruised on her, and that was back in the 50s.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:41 PM

325 posts, read 1,124,982 times
Hey everybody !!!! Here is a list of names sent to me by Ken Swanson, a friend from the Baptist Church that was in the Manor . He and my brother met and Ronnie had him email me and so he has been on the forum and sent these to me to put on.

BOBBIE RED ELK/ JIMMY & JOHNNY
BARRY MEECE/ DOUG
GARY EVERSOLE
JOHN REESE/ BOBBY
MIKE JOKISH
DONALD STEPHENS
JOHNNY HAMILTON/ MARSHA
STEVEN MULLINS
BOBBY WEISE/ KATHY & DANNY
JERRY PRATT
STEVEN FRITSCH/ JENNY
DAVID RICHTER/ JIMMY & BOBBY
ROGER MARKSBERRY
MIKE RAUSCH
ETHEL WITHERSPOON
DARRYL HURD
NORMA ASHER
BOB OVERTON
SUSIE MUELLER
GARY STORY
TERESA LOWE/ BARBARA
JEFF PERKINS/ WYATT
KATHY ZIGLER
REX ( LAST NAME SLIPS ME ATT )
VICKY ASHCRAFT
DONALD BRANSON
SANDY SULLIVAN
DAVID POTRAFFKE
SUSAN NEIDHARDT
HAROLD BELAMY
PATTY O'HERN
STEVE WARNER
PATTY GILLESPIE
MIKE SMART/ JESSE & TOMMY
KIM MCKLIVENE
STEVE HARDWICK
LORAINE MACK
MILTON HOWARD/ WALLY
LINDA LEMON
JOE POWELL
PAT SPAHNI/ MARTHA & DOUG
BOBBY MURPHY
DENNIS BACH
DIANE CLARK
GILBERT MAPLE/ TERRY & MARY LYNN
DONNA ROBINSON
PAUL GROOMS
DIANE WEAVER/ TERRY & KAREN
JOHN KIDD
BILL HIGGINS/ GARY
DEBBIE DEAN/ DONNA
MIKE TUTTLE
PEGGY LAKE
STEVE TULLEY
FRANKIE SHARP
STEVE CALLAHAN
FRANK JAMES/ JESSE
BRUCE COLLIER
JOEY JONES
HENRY GOOCH
DOUG PRESTOR/ LAURIE
JOHN WHITEHEAD
DANNY DELAHANTY
PAUL MCKIRTY
GARY GILMORE
PAT MCQUERY
LARRY HENLEIN
MIKE WILLIAMS/ WES
RON HYDEN/ JR., JEANNIE & CAROLYN
CHUCK ZINSER/ STEVE
KEN SWANSON/ SANDY, JOHN & CONNIE

Ken wrote : These are the names of the people that I remember. Most lived in the Manor or went to Eastwood Elementary between 1958-1963.
I went to Eastwood Elem. around 1960-1963 and graduated from Withrow in 1969. I hope this stirs some memories.

Last edited by Hyden; 07-30-2009 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: names were running into each other.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:42 PM

185 posts, read 458,693 times
Hyden,I believe the brothers of Barry Meese were Don & Richard.Ken may have thought one of the brothers name was Doug.A.F.D.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:06 AM

You know it seems like back towards the begining of this forum that someone was asking about an indian family......to me the Red Elk family sounds like they may be indian. The only ones that I went to school with had the last name Spotted Horse. Hyden

Old 08-01-2009, 01:11 PM

101 posts, read 228,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyden View Post
Hey everybody !!!! Here is a list of names sent to me by Ken Swanson, a friend from the Baptist Church that was in the Manor . He and my brother met and Ronnie had him email me and so he has been on the forum and sent these to me to put on.

BOBBIE RED ELK/ JIMMY & JOHNNY
BARRY MEECE/ DOUG
GARY EVERSOLE
JOHN REESE/ BOBBY
MIKE JOKISH
DONALD STEPHENS
JOHNNY HAMILTON/ MARSHA
STEVEN MULLINS
BOBBY WEISE/ KATHY & DANNY
JERRY PRATT
STEVEN FRITSCH/ JENNY
DAVID RICHTER/ JIMMY & BOBBY
ROGER MARKSBERRY
MIKE RAUSCH
ETHEL WITHERSPOON
DARRYL HURD
NORMA ASHER
BOB OVERTON
SUSIE MUELLER
GARY STORY
TERESA LOWE/ BARBARA
JEFF PERKINS/ WYATT
KATHY ZIGLER
REX ( LAST NAME SLIPS ME ATT )
VICKY ASHCRAFT
DONALD BRANSON
SANDY SULLIVAN
DAVID POTRAFFKE
SUSAN NEIDHARDT
HAROLD BELAMY
PATTY O'HERN
STEVE WARNER
PATTY GILLESPIE
MIKE SMART/ JESSE & TOMMY
KIM MCKLIVENE
STEVE HARDWICK
LORAINE MACK
MILTON HOWARD/ WALLY
LINDA LEMON
JOE POWELL
PAT SPAHNI/ MARTHA & DOUG
BOBBY MURPHY
DENNIS BACH
DIANE CLARK
GILBERT MAPLE/ TERRY & MARY LYNN
DONNA ROBINSON
PAUL GROOMS
DIANE WEAVER/ TERRY & KAREN
JOHN KIDD
BILL HIGGINS/ GARY
DEBBIE DEAN/ DONNA
MIKE TUTTLE
PEGGY LAKE
STEVE TULLEY
FRANKIE SHARP
STEVE CALLAHAN
FRANK JAMES/ JESSE
BRUCE COLLIER
JOEY JONES
HENRY GOOCH
DOUG PRESTOR/ LAURIE
JOHN WHITEHEAD
DANNY DELAHANTY
PAUL MCKIRTY
GARY GILMORE
PAT MCQUERY
LARRY HENLEIN
MIKE WILLIAMS/ WES
RON HYDEN/ JR., JEANNIE & CAROLYN
CHUCK ZINSER/ STEVE
KEN SWANSON/ SANDY, JOHN & CONNIE

Ken wrote : These are the names of the people that I remember. Most lived in the Manor or went to Eastwood Elementary between 1958-1963.
I went to Eastwood Elem. around 1960-1963 and graduated from Withrow in 1969. I hope this stirs some memories.
Ethel Witherspoon, Patti Gillespie & Donna Robinson (my 1st true love) were girlfriends of mine.. such fond memories...Thanx Ken I knew more then 1/2 of these people.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.F.D. View Post
Hyden,I believe the brothers of Barry Meese were Don & Richard.Ken may have thought one of the brothers name was Doug.A.F.D.

If Barry is who I think he is, he would have been around 7 or 8 years old when I lived there. I spent most of my time with the older Meese brothers. As my memory gets refreshed from the recollections of others here, I think Don was the oldest and Richard was just a year or two younger. They always seemed very close when I knew them. I have no idea who Doug is. If it was meant to mean Don, it's hard to imagine forgetting about Richard.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:03 PM

just trying to get the post moved up before they put us on page 2.......LOL Hyden
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati