Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2010, 10:42 PM

5,463 posts, read 9,594,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bden View Post
I don't remember anyone from the 50's, since I was three when we moved. I do have a few pictures from the 50's, that were my Dad's. Do I just click insert image to post them on here? The people I remember were from the late 60's. I moved away in 1970. Some of the people I remember are Joyce, Diane, Carol, Penny, Jerry, Ernie, Greg, Mike, John, Ricky.
To use "Insert Image" I think you'd need to save it first on a photo/image storage website like ImageShack, or on your own website if you have one. Otherwise, you can click on "Attachments" in your "Reply" window It will show up as a separate window. Then click "Browse" and select the photo(s) you want to choose. Once you've decided on which photo you want to use, press "Upload". The title of the image will then show up in the Browse/Upload window. At that point, you can then insert the image into your post by moving your mouse over the photo title, and click the mouse. It will show up in your post (as your writing) as a number in brackets. But when you press "Submit Reply" the photo will be shown as a thumbnail photo that the user can click to see the full sized image in a separate window.

If that's still confusing, please feel free send me a "Direct Message" to let me know and I'll be glad to do what I can to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 06:58 AM

48 posts, read 87,179 times
Default Lost River

This should be a picture of The Lost River at Coney Island, if I did this right.
Attached Thumbnails
1950's-1970's Stratford Manor & Eastwood Village-1957_coney-01.jpg  

Old 03-29-2010, 07:08 AM

NightBazaar: Thanks for the instructions.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
This should be a picture of The Lost River at Coney Island, if I did this right.

Excellent photo of Coney Island, Bden! Do you remember what year it was? What a trip down memory lane! I loved that place. It was like a second home. LOL! If I recall correctly, the "Lost River" was sort of a "tunnel of love" water ride. In the background is part of a track from a roller coaster that was called the "Cyclone" or "Wildcat" or something like that (hard to remember some the ride names).

Old 03-29-2010, 09:25 AM

I'm pretty sure it was 1957, since that's my Mom holding me up to see. That might be the Shooting Star in the background, it was the largest coaster there.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:44 AM

This photo shows the front of the building and how nice they were kept back then. Remember the flowers?
Attached Thumbnails
1950's-1970's Stratford Manor & Eastwood Village-1956.jpg  

Old 03-29-2010, 09:53 AM

Attached Thumbnails
1950's-1970's Stratford Manor & Eastwood Village-1955.jpg  

Old 03-29-2010, 10:09 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,699,362 times
The Wildcat was behind the Lost River. Shooting Star was at the other end of the park. I liked the Wildcat because it shook and rattled more.

The Cyclone was at LeSourdsville Lake, where it later was renamed The Space Rocket and then the Screechin' Eagle.

I loved Coney Island. What a place to have an all day date. Spend the day at Sunlight Pool, shower and change into some fancier duds. Have a bite to eat and then off to Moonlight Garden for dancing. Go out at intermission and take a couple of quick spins on the Shooting Star before the rides shut down, then back to the Garden to finish up the night. I remember if you were lucky enough to get the front seat on the roller coaster you could just pay the attendant for another ride and stay on until you had your fill.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it was 1957, since that's my Mom holding me up to see. That might be the Shooting Star in the background, it was the largest coaster there.

Your photos are fabulous and so enjoyable and memorable to see. You were quite a wee one back in '57. I was just in my early teens then. (I wonder if I was at the park when your photo was taken? LOL!) I remember the Shooting Star. It was the biggest one at Coney Island. The entrance to it was about halfway down the midway. I think I posted an aerial photo of it somewhere in this thread showing the Shooting Star's track. But, there was also another roller coaster next to the "Lost River", which I think was called the Cyclone. In addition to the Cyclone and Shooting Star, there was another one (I think) called the Wildcat. Near the Shooting Star, and on the same side, were other rides like the Wild Mouse (sort of a coaster ride that was new at the time), the Rotor, and a dark ride called Fun in the Dark or Laff in the Dark. Good times.

About the flowers in the boxes in front of the apartments at the Manor, there was one in front of our place, but I think it had a small hedge. But you're right, a number of buildings in the Manor had flowers planted in them.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
The Wildcat was behind the Lost River. Shooting Star was at the other end of the park. I liked the Wildcat because it shook and rattled more.

The Cyclone was at LeSourdsville Lake, where it later was renamed The Space Rocket and then the Screechin' Eagle.
Thanks kjbrill for the correction. I just did a bit of searching and could only find that Coney Island in New York had a Cyclone coaster. Nothing about it for Cincy, and no mention of it with regards to LeSourdsville Lake either. I could've sworn there were three large coasters at Coney Island in Cincinnati, but evidently not.

You're right about the Wildcat. It had the reputation of being a spine-buster that would jar your insides into mush. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati