Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 01:56 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,635,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickscott View Post
This is my first time on this site and maybe there aren't too many people on here from the Trail, but I grew up there and made my way to Stratford Manor pretty often. Most of my friends went to Lyons but I was Catholic and went to Nativity. It was fun time growing up there. I'll check in once in awhile. Take care.
Hi Rick. Glad to have you drop in on the thread. We'd like to hear more about your experiences and memories as you meandered through the Manor. When were you in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 02:41 PM

18 posts, read 28,662 times
Well, I think I remember the name Jerry Pratt as I liked a girl named Sandy who I assume was is his sister. I was in Shawanoe Trail in the late 50's thru the 60's. I remember Duck Creek Rd when there was a picnic area at the top of the hill before you entered Stratford Manor. I use to go to baseball practice all the time at the fields next to Eastwood School. There was a woods between Stratford Manor and Shawanoe Trail where alot of us would play baseball on a field we revived along the creek. I spent many hours in that woods and along Duck Creek Rd as a little kid hunting pop bottles and looking for crawdads. I remember when Oaklawn Dr was not there. I remember the Bakery truck coming around the neighborhood, along with the diaper man, the ice cream man; Louie was the nice one in the red and white truck, John was the mean one in the orange truck, but then again, if you were an elderly old guy selling ice cream and kids were constantly jumpin on the bumper of your truck as you drove around, you may get po'ed too, I remember the milk man, the egg man and of course everyone's favorite, LeRoy the mailman. I use to get chased sometimes by the Stratford Manor kids when I would go to Lyons to meet up with girls when I was a young teen. In general, the guys from Stratford Manor were not the friends of the kids from Shawanoe Trail, but I survived and grew up. It was fun times back then. The Shawanoe Trail got a reunion together many years ago and it was great to see so many old friends. It would be great if it were to happen again.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyden View Post
Hey everybody !!!! Here is a list of names sent to me by Ken Swanson, a friend from the Baptist Church that was in the Manor . He and my brother met and Ronnie had him email me and so he has been on the forum and sent these to me to put on.

BOBBIE RED ELK/ JIMMY & JOHNNY
BARRY MEECE/ DOUG
GARY EVERSOLE
JOHN REESE/ BOBBY
MIKE JOKISH
DONALD STEPHENS
JOHNNY HAMILTON/ MARSHA
STEVEN MULLINS
BOBBY WEISE/ KATHY & DANNY
JERRY PRATT
STEVEN FRITSCH/ JENNY
DAVID RICHTER/ JIMMY & BOBBY
ROGER MARKSBERRY
MIKE RAUSCH
ETHEL WITHERSPOON
DARRYL HURD
NORMA ASHER
BOB OVERTON
SUSIE MUELLER
GARY STORY
TERESA LOWE/ BARBARA
JEFF PERKINS/ WYATT
KATHY ZIGLER
REX ( LAST NAME SLIPS ME ATT )
VICKY ASHCRAFT
DONALD BRANSON
SANDY SULLIVAN
DAVID POTRAFFKE
SUSAN NEIDHARDT
HAROLD BELAMY
PATTY O'HERN
STEVE WARNER
PATTY GILLESPIE
MIKE SMART/ JESSE & TOMMY
KIM MCKLIVENE
STEVE HARDWICK
LORAINE MACK
MILTON HOWARD/ WALLY
LINDA LEMON
JOE POWELL
PAT SPAHNI/ MARTHA & DOUG
BOBBY MURPHY
DENNIS BACH
DIANE CLARK
GILBERT MAPLE/ TERRY & MARY LYNN
DONNA ROBINSON
PAUL GROOMS
DIANE WEAVER/ TERRY & KAREN
JOHN KIDD
BILL HIGGINS/ GARY
DEBBIE DEAN/ DONNA
MIKE TUTTLE
PEGGY LAKE
STEVE TULLEY
FRANKIE SHARP
STEVE CALLAHAN
FRANK JAMES/ JESSE
BRUCE COLLIER
JOEY JONES
HENRY GOOCH
DOUG PRESTOR/ LAURIE
JOHN WHITEHEAD
DANNY DELAHANTY
PAUL MCKIRTY
GARY GILMORE
PAT MCQUERY
LARRY HENLEIN
MIKE WILLIAMS/ WES
RON HYDEN/ JR., JEANNIE & CAROLYN
CHUCK ZINSER/ STEVE
KEN SWANSON/ SANDY, JOHN & CONNIE

Ken wrote : These are the names of the people that I remember. Most lived in the Manor or went to Eastwood Elementary between 1958-1963.
I went to Eastwood Elem. around 1960-1963 and graduated from Withrow in 1969. I hope this stirs some memories.
I recall a few names on this list. I played knothole baseball with Bobbie Red Elk. Lost track of him after a couple years of ball, but he was a very good athlete as a little kid. I'm talking about 5th grade. I also remember Milt and Wally Howard, Pat McQuery, Steve Calahan, Jerry Pratt ( if his sister is Sandy) and maybe a couple others. I didn't so much know all of them personally, but I knew off them. Some were considered "hoods" and likely did get in some trouble as they got older. I ended up going the other direction and was a Cinti Policeman for 30 yrs.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:44 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,635,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickscott View Post
Well, I think I remember the name Jerry Pratt as I liked a girl named Sandy who I assume was is his sister. I was in Shawanoe Trail in the late 50's thru the 60's. I remember Duck Creek Rd when there was a picnic area at the top of the hill before you entered Stratford Manor. I use to go to baseball practice all the time at the fields next to Eastwood School. There was a woods between Stratford Manor and Shawanoe Trail where alot of us would play baseball on a field we revived along the creek. I spent many hours in that woods and along Duck Creek Rd as a little kid hunting pop bottles and looking for crawdads. I remember when Oaklawn Dr was not there. I remember the Bakery truck coming around the neighborhood, along with the diaper man, the ice cream man; Louie was the nice one in the red and white truck, John was the mean one in the orange truck, but then again, if you were an elderly old guy selling ice cream and kids were constantly jumpin on the bumper of your truck as you drove around, you may get po'ed too, I remember the milk man, the egg man and of course everyone's favorite, LeRoy the mailman. I use to get chased sometimes by the Stratford Manor kids when I would go to Lyons to meet up with girls when I was a young teen. In general, the guys from Stratford Manor were not the friends of the kids from Shawanoe Trail, but I survived and grew up. It was fun times back then. The Shawanoe Trail got a reunion together many years ago and it was great to see so many old friends. It would be great if it were to happen again.
We moved to Oregon from the Manor in April 1959. Who knows? You and I might have crossed paths around the same time, although we probably never met. Small world, isn't it. The woods area was pretty cool. I remember the creek. I think there were some of those big fat tadpoles in the creek as well.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:14 PM

56 posts, read 106,892 times
Hi rick were did you live in the trail i lived on aniotion ct 3711 from 1967 to about 1971. played ball for the trail dick idler was the manager went to lyons and withrow. Did you know jimmy ross or the blackburns or the lees i lived in the manor from about 1964 untill we moved to the trail. do you remenber tom ross or randy sour. frank stiner was the scout master lived at the bottom of the hill near the entrance.how about nancy eddy we went out for a year or so. look forward to hear more about your days in the trail and the manor

Old 08-10-2012, 08:59 PM

I knew alot of those kids you mentioned but they are all 2-3 yrs younger I guess. I graduated from Purcell in 69. I went to Nativity for grade school. I lived at the corner of Charloe and Kanauga. I had a little sister named Barb and a younger brother named Tim. I knew Jimmy Ross, Idlers, the Blackburns at the end of the street (Sherry and her sister). I use to play alot o basketball in that circle. I knew the Berrys that lived there too and the Schmuddes (Alan). My best friend growing up was Rick Hutchison who lived in the cul-de-sac of Kanauga. He had a younger brother named Mike. Both have passed away. Most of the kids that I knew and were close to my age on Anioton were Pat Costello, Ed Schwinn, Roger Marx, The Martin Family (Brent), Joey an Ronnie Opel and their sister Patsy who I have seen a couple times since those days. I remember the Massarella family that lived about 3/4 way down on the right. Good times. I think I recall your name but not sure. My family moved there in about 59-60 and I lived there until I left and got married in 72. My mom stayed there with my sister for several more years after my dad's death and my bother went off to the service.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:09 PM

Im sure i new you or of you i do remember hutch walked with a limp and drove a killer i think Z28. I had a dark blue 65 gto lived right next to jimmy ross we played baseball and football in the street on aniotion. I new the opels and ed schwinn. Do you remember john capercillo. Im mow 59 years turn 60 in oct. you nust be a little older. at this age some times i miss my mind the most. Thanks for the menorys will watch for your next post

Old 08-12-2012, 10:06 AM

I'm 60; I'll be 61 this month. I play alot of golf and I got to admit, the other day a neighbor was asking me where I had played the day before and I had to lie because I couldn't remember. That is scarey. After Hutch had the Z-28, he bought a Super Bee and I bought a Red Roadrunner. Both were 1970's. Were the Wilkens still living on Charloe when you were there? The Lathams? Linda was my first real girlfriend as a kid. She lived next door to me and the Wilkens lived on the other side of them. I remember the Colliers on Anioton (Steve) and the Newmans (Bobby) who lived behind Jimmy Ross. I us to o to scout meetings in Newman's basement. Is that where you lived? The Richies lived acroiss the street rom the Newmans. Kris Richie goes to my church now; her brother Mike died years ago. John Capacello lived on the hill a few doors up from the Idlers. His mom, Phyliss was one of my mom's best friends. The shirmers and the Wolfes lived across the street from them. Your name is somewhat familiar to me but I just can't picture you. Did you know the Staats? They lived on the other corner of Charloe and Kanauga. It's fun talking about the old times.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:26 PM

Yes we bought the house from the newmans. we had scouts in the little church on charloe. remember jimmy ross played drums,how about ed mahand? steve colliers was a ass i cant count the times i wented to kick the crap out of that s.o.b.had that brown corvair. yes i new of the shirmers. Have you seen the trail in the last 5 years or so makes you went to cry to see how ran down it has become. the place looks like the getto. I dont remember all the people you talked about its been a long time but i will never forget how nice it was to live there most every one was very nice a good place to grow up in, like the manor it was a place thats now lost in time How sad.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:52 PM

20 posts, read 129,261 times
Default School in Red Bank/Madison area

In the area east of Red Bank Road/Expressway and north of Madison Road, there has been a school location for many years. Names of the various incarnations on that site include Lyon High School, John Parker, School and Andersen Place School, among others. Does anyone know whether there was a school in that location back in 1941 and/or 1942? If so, what was the name of the school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati