Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2017, 08:46 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times

Advertisements

The latest Enquirer article on the Clifton Market and Organic Tofu Stand predicts and end to this painful (and for some expensive) venture by the misguided into the grocery business.

Food fight: Will Clifton Market survive?

One has to appreciate the gall of these folks who lost $1.4mm lickety-split trying to sell cauliflower at $6.95 a head, and then puzzle like a lost traveler reading a road map as to exactly how to drain another $500,000 from the pockets of persons using the "greater fool" theory (in the parlance of famous tax shelter promoter, there is always a greater fool to take over any bad investment. This unnamed person is also famous for coining the phrase: "There is an ass for every seat" - which, means about the same thing as the former).

Maybe they can get Yvette Simpleton to link the Connector ride up to the CM from downtown so people won't have to waste money at the awful Findlay Market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 08:55 PM

800 posts, read 950,774 times
It's a great store. It's a shame that Kroger -- a 90% monopoly in this area -- got way more public money for their replacement Corryville store than did the Clifton Market.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:44 AM

3,866 posts, read 3,142,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post

Maybe they can get Yvette Simpleton to link the Connector ride up to the CM from downtown so people won't have to waste money at the awful Findlay Market.
Findlay Market is not some kind of Walmart where people go to get cheapest crap from China. It is a highly acclaimed historical landmark attracting visitors who are interested in visiting beautiful historic places.

Seems like anything that makes this a better city a better place for its residents you cheerlead for its destruction. You'd would be content if this place sinks to the level of a Wichita Kansas instead of improve to the level of a Global city. Such a small minded mentality with no vision. You search for anything to nay-say projects meant to improve the quality of life for the residents if it don't involve new parking lots and expanded highways. Are you sure you are not from Cleveland or Columbus?

Last edited by Coseau; 09-12-2017 at 04:53 AM..

Old 09-12-2017, 05:03 AM

610 posts, read 796,817 times
Odd to be happy about a business struggling. The shot at Findlay literally makes no sense. It's a city landmarked loved for generations by locals and visitors.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:16 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
Findlay Market is not some kind of Walmart where people go to get cheapest crap from China. It is a highly acclaimed historical landmark attracting visitors who are interested in visiting beautiful historic places.

Seems like anything that makes this a better city a better place for its residents you cheerlead for its destruction. You'd would be content if this place sinks to the level of a Wichita Kansas instead of improve to the level of a Global city. Such a small minded mentality with no vision. You search for anything to nay-say projects meant to improve the quality of life for the residents if it don't involve new parking lots and expanded highways. Are you sure you are not from Cleveland or Columbus?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
Odd to be happy about a business struggling. The shot at Findlay literally makes no sense. It's a city landmarked loved for generations by locals and visitors.

Findlay Market = /s

I go there every week. I have a family member who is a merchant there.

The sarcasm which appears to be a foreign language to you two is the notion that anyone on the planet Earth would prefer CM to Findlay Market and would want to by=pass Findlay Market to ride up to Clifton and go to the tofu stand. I know it is complicated sarcasm, but if you think about it real hard, you can get it.

But, I will be there to watch the wrecking ball turn CM into something useful.

BTW, Can you imagine what would prompt Mrs. Hyland to employ an attorney named "Laddie Lushin" from 800 miles away who is a self-proclaimed anarchist? And, to advise her on a pending question of Ohio law (proper call and notice of a special meeting) that has nothing to do with his speciality (communism) and nothing to do with the law of his practice venue (Vermont)? Is she on something?

Last edited by Wilson513; 09-12-2017 at 05:53 AM..

Old 09-12-2017, 07:44 AM

649 posts, read 816,375 times
It makes me sad that Clifton Mkt is crashing and burning. There was a legitimate need for them when they started planning this venture, only to get thoroughly sideswiped with Kroger's do-over in Corryville. If they had gotten up and running sooner, and cemented more shoppers while Kroger Corryville was still a cesspit, they might have been able to make it.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:49 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times
wow. I assumed the Findlay market crack was sarcasm.

Especially with the bit about the Connector.

As far as the co-op; always unfortunate to see something fail; but Food CO-OPs are just not super practical nowadays. 30 years ago (or longer!) when it was hard to find artisan soaps; quinoa; almond flour -- sure.

But whole foods and the other "crunchy" groceries quickly took care of that; and now it's ubiquitous.

Also, I'm always shocked by the hostility towards Kroger on this board. It is in fact the ultimate "home company made good" story. I'm assuming everyone here cheered when Chiquita left Norwood, and is waiting patiently for P&G to also fold?

You want to shop/buy/invest local --- Kroger is a local company (literally, headquartered RIGHT HERE); employing local residents.

If you happen to be friends with the owners of a mom and pop shop, and are loyal to them for that reason; I understand. But the total disdain for Kroger weirds me out.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:06 AM

800 posts, read 950,774 times
The Clifton Market is a regular neighborhood grocery store that happens to be cooperatively owned. Some idea that it is a hub of food snobbery is completely wrong. Pretty much everything I've eaten at home since it opened earlier this year came from the store, so I've been there 30 times or more.

Moderator cut: too personal

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2017 at 01:56 AM..

Old 09-20-2017, 03:51 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,230,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post

You're right, they're not from Cleveland. Because Cleveland's market is thriving and goes way beyond appreciated.
Kidding aside, I love the Findlay Market and hope it thrives too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati