Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 03:23 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,157,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali2Cincy View Post
Rhode Island! https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-90125#photo25

We've let it go after reading this thread, but I'm curious to see what you think of that street/area.

We've realized we can realistically stretch our budget to the $130k-140k range and there are some beautiful homes at that price in golf Manor, pleasant ridge and mt Washington (which no one here recommended, but I read on another thread is a great family area). After looking into the schools and the safety of the neighborhoods, I think that's the right choice.
OP, it sounds like you've made a great decision with the search moving forward. That extra $20k in your budget will be a tremendous help towards getting a great house in a great neighborhood.

As for St. Bernard, I forgot about it. That's a great recommendation. I thought it would be over your budget for sure. I'll send a PM, I have useful connections there.

One important thing to know about Cincy is neighborhoods go from 0 to 100 on a crime scale in a matter of a block or two. It's crazy. The hills cause a lot of the division, plus it's a provincial town so things don't change as fast here as the rest of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 07:06 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,053,720 times
Quote:
I actually have that one saved! Glad to hear it's a family friendly area. Will have to look into it more. I've heard there are some really bad parts of silverton - is that true? If so, any particular area you'd recommend looking into? I haven't heard of Kennedy heights yet but I'll look into it! Thank you.
Funny, I am a Kenwood kid. I lived on Orchard Lane right next to Deer Park for many years (just west of the Kenwood Town Center which back in the 80s was the Kenwood Plaza). The Silverton that I knew back in the 80s and early 90s was fine. It is in Cincy school district which can be a major bummer for folks dependent on public schools, but the areas of Silverton north of Montgomery is definitely the kind of area you can walk around at midnight and feel safe (still, from what I know). Kennedy Heights is similar to Silverton, but it is a more African American area in general.

That house on Kugler Mill would be Deer Park schools, I think. All the kids I hung out with from Deer Park were cool. Mostly Catholic. A good number of weed smokers. Down to earth people. Big thumbs up for Deer Park.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:25 AM

43 posts, read 100,979 times
Quote:
It's safe even thoUgh it's only 5 minutes from Children's? I've heard anywhere that close to Children's is a bad area. That home is beautiful, will definitely take that one into consideration and will start looking at St. Bernard as well. Thank you!
St. Bernard is very safe and clean. It is a village and has its own police, fire, and trash service (twice a week). There are playgrounds spread throughout the village so plenty of places for the kids to play. There is also a very affordable public pool for the summer. They also have frequent community events for the kids. Recently there was a Halloween campout/trick or treating event at one of the parks.

From what I can tell their public school is solid, but not known a great. They do have a decent sized catholic school (Roger Bacon) if that is an option for you.

My only knock on it is the lack of good restaurants. There is a skyline, coffee shop, diner, and a few bars, but nothing that will WOW you. The nice thing is it’s not far from better dining options (Clifton, Northside, Oakley). A good sized brewery is opening up in the spring so hopefully that will spur some better dining options.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:03 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,071 times
Quote:
It's safe even thoUgh it's only 5 minutes from Children's? I've heard anywhere that close to Children's is a bad area. That home is beautiful, will definitely take that one into consideration and will start looking at St. Bernard as well. Thank you!

I think St. Bernard would be a good option among several for you. That said, I totally disagree that it's 5 minutes from Children's. More like 20, but still a relatively easy and quick commute. I think that 5-minute figure caused confusion for you, also. You are being warned off Avondale, basically. Correctly so, because that is one of the more crime and poverty-ridden areas in the city.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:12 AM

245 posts, read 332,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kconns View Post
St. Bernard is very safe and clean. It is a village and has its own police, fire, and trash service (twice a week). There are playgrounds spread throughout the village so plenty of places for the kids to play. There is also a very affordable public pool for the summer. They also have frequent community events for the kids. Recently there was a Halloween campout/trick or treating event at one of the parks.

From what I can tell their public school is solid, but not known a great. They do have a decent sized catholic school (Roger Bacon) if that is an option for you.

My only knock on it is the lack of good restaurants. There is a skyline, coffee shop, diner, and a few bars, but nothing that will WOW you. The nice thing is it’s not far from better dining options (Clifton, Northside, Oakley). A good sized brewery is opening up in the spring so hopefully that will spur some better dining options.
You forgot about CHILI TIME...

Old 11-09-2017, 04:18 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h Steve View Post
You forgot about CHILI TIME...

Is that Chinese place still in business? Is it any good?

Old 11-09-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I don't know, Sarah. I seldom get in St. Bernard. I just know CHILI TIME is still there.

Had to Edit.... If you're talking about the BLUE GIBBON, I think it is. I haven't been in there in years. I don't think it's actually in St. Bernard. It's in
Cincinnati. But very near.

Last edited by h Steve; 11-09-2017 at 07:29 PM..

Old 11-09-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Rhode Island! https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-90125#photo25

We've let it go after reading this thread, but I'm curious to see what you think of that street/area.

We've realized we can realistically stretch our budget to the $130k-140k range and there are some beautiful homes at that price in golf Manor, pleasant ridge and mt Washington (which no one here recommended, but I read on another thread is a great family area). After looking into the schools and the safety of the neighborhoods, I think that's the right choice.
You're right when you said it was close to Norwood. All you have to do is walk across the street. Drivers get up some speed on that street. I'd be uncomfortable with small kids. Good idea to let it go.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:02 PM

865 posts, read 1,472,023 times
Quote:
I think St. Bernard would be a good option among several for you. That said, I totally disagree that it's 5 minutes from Children's. More like 20, but still a relatively easy and quick commute. I think that 5-minute figure caused confusion for you, also. You are being warned off Avondale, basically. Correctly so, because that is one of the more crime and poverty-ridden areas in the city.
I drive Vine Street from St. Bernard to downtown everyday for my commute. From my garage to the parking garage downtown is exactly 20 minutes. I pass Children's at the 6 minute mark. Just saying.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:13 AM

43 posts, read 100,979 times
Quote:
The Chinese place closed a few months ago, but then a few weeks ago I saw an OPEN sign lit up again. I ate there once and it was the worst Chinese food I've ever had; which is supper disappointing because I can walk there in 2 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati