Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 02:30 PM

5 posts, read 5,014 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Hopefully that thread title got your attention. Mandatory disclaimer: I'm not actually a bad person.

I'll be moving to Cincinnati in July to join the staff at Cincinnati Children's. As such I won't be house-shopping or entering into a contract until April at the very earliest-- more likely, May/June-- meaning I won't have a verifiable Cincinnati address until then.

I'm very interested in the CPS magnets (particularly SCPA but also the Montessoris) for my first grader. But I can't enter the lottery now because they look askance at the commute times from Massachusetts. So my question is-- 1) is there any way around this (like, using a friend's address which they wouldn't really verify) or 2) if I do things properly and use my own address in, say, May, will there be any seats left?

[Which is a proxy question for-- just how competitive are the CPS magnets, anyway? I want to buy a house in Cincinnati proper (ideally Clifton) to have access to the magnets. But if they're hopelessly out of reach, and if I'll be stuck going to private school due to a disaster of a neighborhood school...]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 06:07 AM

410 posts, read 586,627 times
To answer your question about using a fraudulent address to enter the magnet lottery, yes you can do that. Yes, it will probably work.

If you apply after your move you might get into your first choice. CPS keeps waiting lists and really does update them. People’s circumstances change and spots can open at anytime.

Be aware of the dates for the three rounds of the lottery. The first round of lottery selections will close December 1st.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:07 AM

649 posts, read 815,839 times
Just pretend you didn't get a lottery slot and act accordingly.

The magnets are not competitive per se as it is a lottery, however EVERYONE enters the lottery, so yes it is competitive. We were in a similar situation. The other end of which is- where do you even move to? You do not want your first grader on a bus for an hour to a magnet school, but you can't just live somewhere near a magnet on the off chance you get a slot.

So for us the choices were move somewhere in CPS where you know the elementary school is decent and you will be automatically zoned to that school, or hit the suburbs. We found the choices for us to be Pleasant Ridge for the Pleasant Ridge Montessori, Mt.Lookout for the Kilgore or Hyde Park/parts of Oakley for the Hyde Park Elementary. You can go to the CPS website and find a map that shows which streets are zoned to which schools. Then you don't have to sweat the whole thing and can still lottery for a magnet if you want, next year.

Alternatively just pick a suburb that is easily commutable to Children's. Wyoming is the most obvious choice but I'd imagine there are Children's employees in all the suburbs. I know quite a few people in Mariemont that commute, it is not bad. IDK where in MA you are coming from but it is vastly easier to commute around here than anywhere around Boston.

But to answer your actual question, short of coming early and renting something, I don't think there is a way around the problem. Even if you find someone to let you say you live there I think CPS requires paper proof like bills and/or a lease.

If you really have to have Clifton you can move there and pay for private Montessori (there is one in Clifton) for that first year and hope to lottery into the Fairview for second grade, but that back-up plan seems pricey.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:03 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
I could actually rent you a space in OTR. It might not be suitable for a Thanksgiving Dinner but it would not be fraudulent. What's it worth?

Old 11-30-2017, 09:25 AM

89 posts, read 112,775 times
Be mindful that the Montessori magnets are East West divided if you wish to use bus service at any point. So, if you live east of 75 you should only apply to the East Magnet Montessori schools if you need bus service. Northside has Parker Woods which is a less competitive Montessori magnet for now.
As far as residency is concerned, CPS is pretty strict about it. I would call the magnet hotline listed on the Magnet school guide and see if they would accept your offer letter from Children's as intent to reside in the district. I'm sure they have dealt with this before as many people move in and out of town for the hospital.
You can also consider moving to a neighborhood with a failing school and use EdChoice vouchers for private, but this takes a lot of research on your part.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:26 AM

410 posts, read 586,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I could actually rent you a space in OTR. It might not be suitable for a Thanksgiving Dinner but it would not be fraudulent. What's it worth?
I know 2 families that did that to go to Walnut.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:39 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi in cinci View Post
I know 2 families that did that to go to Walnut.

I was going to do that in Mariemont with my special needs child. Rent an apartment for $500 a month and save $18,000 a year in special ed.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:00 PM

5 posts, read 5,014 times
Oh man. I didn't expect such literal help in cheating the system. Thank you all so much- excellent food for thought. So kimberlymarie I definitely did not know about the east/west bussing line-- is there a north/south one, too? And I don't *have* to be in Clifton-- I don't have to be anywhere, except indoors I suppose. I just love the Tudors and big lots and the idea that I wouldn't have to spend every penny I have to acquire one.

Here's my answers to the Cinci newcomers Qs, if it helps. Would appreciate suggestions.

. Have you searched this forum for answers to your questions before posting a new inquiry? YES BECAUSE I DON'T SUCK
. What specific topic have you not found answers to? TELL ME PERSONALLY WHERE I SHOULD LIVE
. Where is you current location and environment? BOSTON, MASS
. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change? LOOKING FOR BREATHING ROOM AND GORGEOUS ARCHITECTURE
. Where will your work location be? CCHMC, MAIN CAMPUS ONLY
. Maximum commute time desired? I HAVE TRAFFIC PTSD AFTER 2 YEARS IN LA... 20 MIN?

. What is you budget for housing? LET'S SAY 6OOK
. Rent or buy? BUY, BABY, BUY
. Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family) SFH
. Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths) 3-4 BEDS, 2000-3500 FT^2
. Other specifics? LOVE TUDOR/CRAFTSMAN STYLE, ALSO MODERN, NOTHING TOO MCMANSION-Y

. Neighborhood environment? YES PLEASE- WANT A NEIGHBORHOOD, NOT A COLLECTION OF HOUSES
. Urban, young professional, nightlife WALKABILITY/ BIKE-ABILITY A PLUS
. Mid-urban, close in neighborhood or suburb, stable investment NOT SUBURBAN
. Suburban, low maintenance, quiet streets, soccer mom atmosphere NO
. Family oriented YES
. Lots of same age kids, activities THAT'D BE GREAT
. Great schools GOOD, BUT MOSTLY INTERESTED IN MAGNETS OR INDEPENDENT SCHOOLS
. Older, distinctive architecture, individual character ABSOLUTELY, THIS IS MY DREAM
. Modern, 15 yrs old or less, move-in ready NO
. Diversity of income, race, housing? SURE
. Yard - none, small, large (1/2 acre or more) LARGE
. Very safe, low crime area? MEH, DON'T WANT BARS ON THE WINDOWS
. Can tolerate some degree of crime potential? How Much? OK WITH A LITTLE RIFLING THROUGH UNLOCKED CARS, NOT OK WITH OPEN AIR DRUG MARKETS OR AFGHANISTAN
. Private neighborhood association, swimming & fitness facilities DON'T CARE AT ALL

. Schools?
. High Ranked Public schools NOT REQUIRED
. Small or large district? NO THOUGHTS
. Diverse student body? SURE
. Strong athletics? COULDN'T CARE LESS, BUT DO WANT GREAT ARTS PROGRAM
. Consider Private schools? YES- WALDORF, MONTESSORI, INDEPENDENT CATHOLIC

. Community amenities?
. Daily needs within walking distance, shopping, restaurants, parks, etc. IDEAL
. Town/city community center for adults & kids DON'T CARE
. Swimming, fitness center, running track, adult activities DON'T CARE
. Nearby fitness centers & clubs DON'T CARE
. Close proximity to public transportation? DON'T CARE
. Lots of parks & youth athletic leagues DEFINITELY ON THE PARKS
. Jogging & biking trails IDEAL

. Specific wants/desires?
. Please identify any specific wants/desires not mentioned above.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:19 AM

610 posts, read 796,395 times
^Based on those answers I'd look at east side neighborhoods of Hyde Park and Mt Lookout. Arguably the best neighborhoods in the city and home to very good elementary schools (Kilgour and HP Elementary). Both are extremely walkable with nice business squares home to restaurants, bars, coffee shops, boutiques, etc. Ault Park is a wonderful park. Easy commute to Children's via Madison Road. You'll probably want to work with a relator because the best houses will go quickly.

Some nice houses to give you an idea:
https://www.sibcycline.com/Listing/C...okout-OH-45208
https://www.sibcycline.com/Listing/C...okout-OH-45226
https://www.sibcycline.com/Listing/C...-Park-OH-45208

Old 12-01-2017, 08:54 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
^Based on those answers I'd look at east side neighborhoods of Hyde Park and Mt Lookout. Arguably the best neighborhoods in the city and home to very good elementary schools (Kilgour and HP Elementary). Both are extremely walkable with nice business squares home to restaurants, bars, coffee shops, boutiques, etc. Ault Park is a wonderful park. Easy commute to Children's via Madison Road. You'll probably want to work with a relator because the best houses will go quickly.

Some nice houses to give you an idea:
https://www.sibcycline.com/Listing/C...okout-OH-45208
https://www.sibcycline.com/Listing/C...okout-OH-45226

That's good advice, but I'd also add Clifton with its magnet Fairview German Language School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati