Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,202 times

Advertisements

I lived in Price Hill... Specifically on W. 8th St. near the Holy Family Parish... Even when it was still considered an o.k. place to live, I wouldn't venture out for a "jog" without some protection... Dempsey Park and the Whittier School grounds could be rough places, even during the daylight hours. Also there were a bunch of whinos around then... but that was '92-'93
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 10:57 AM

4 posts, read 6,931 times
I have friends that live on Gilsey and the entire drive over there, I fear for my life. The whole place is trashy, and I do not see anyone out except people who are more than likely dealing drugs. While it is a shame to have this kind of neighborhood in myu city, the people that live there have to live somewhere. And if developers come in and force these people out, they will just move elsewhere. I live on the eastside and have no desire for them to move closer to me.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:21 PM

77 posts, read 195,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerofspades View Post
I have friends that live on Gilsey and the entire drive over there, I fear for my life. The whole place is trashy, and I do not see anyone out except people who are more than likely dealing drugs. While it is a shame to have this kind of neighborhood in myu city, the people that live there have to live somewhere. And if developers come in and force these people out, they will just move elsewhere. I live on the eastside and have no desire for them to move closer to me.
Do you mean all of Price Hill is "trashy"?

Old 04-26-2010, 12:37 PM

213 posts, read 674,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
A lot of Cincinnati's "cultural" tensions stem from attitudes, and many West Siders are less than warm to anybody who isn't of German stock (also Italian, in West Price Hill) and Catholic to the core. Open enrollment in the Cincinnati schools, which brought scores of AA kids to formerly lily-White Western Hills High School, didn't sit well with these folks one bit.
What decade are you specifically referring to? I went to Western Hills High School in the early 80's and it was far from a "lily-white" high school.

At the time I attended I'd say it was about a 70-30 balance between White-Black, which was indicative of the neighborhoods it drew from at the time.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I dont think open enrollment and city-wide busing came into full force until the early 90's (well after West Hi had stopped being a "lily-white" school).

And I completely disagree with the less than luke warm comment about west-siders. That is an out of date generalisation about west-siders. In fact, present day experiences, I've found east-siders to be "less warm" towards people outside of their race, relgion, background (I know another generalisation). It may have been true back in the 50's or 60's about west-siders, but I grew up in a diverse Westwood and lived in Price Hill for a time and I've never once experienced any racial tension.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
I was born and raised in Delhi. I would not move to some parts of Delhi. Not that it is bad but it borders Price Hill and that scares me...But other parts of Delhi that border Green Township are nice. Further down on Rapid Run is nice too...Great schools as well...I am a fan of Sayler Park too.... Covedale has some really cute homes too...I am not sure what public school district that is in. Oak Hills is preferable over West High and those are the 2 in that area....
Covedale is in the CPS district.

I agree about Saylor Park. It is without question one of the best neighborhoods remaining inside the city limits.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb1989 View Post
i have lived in price hill for 18 years and have never had any real problems. there are always people driving loud cars up the street until about midnight and people hanging out on the cornors, until 12 also. if you are planning on moving to price hill i would suggest moving toward the St teressa of aliva chatholic church on the cornor of glenway ave. and cleaves warsaw ave. there are a lot of smaller houses with decent sized yards, and this part of price hill is very quiet at night and is a bit farther away from all of the "roucus and action". i hope this helps. good luck finding a great home
I agree. The St. Teresa area of Price Hill is still nice and I think the majority of the area still around St William's is nice. There are some beautiful, well kept home's in the St William's area of West Price Hill.

I've also seen some hope around the Holy Family area recently (I think considered East Price Hill). There is now a coffee shop across the street from Holy Family and I understand a few other business developments are planned in that area as well.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:36 PM

3 posts, read 9,183 times
I'm 31 and just bought a house on Ralph Ave in Covedale (West Price Hill) in November of last year. I couldn't be happier. The houses and gardens are beautiful, well kept and the neighbors are friendly. It's close to all the shopping and restaraunts you could want. I've seen three different young people and couples, in their early 30's move in around me since I've been there (in under 6 months). You can't get old world charm, character, and neighbors like this in any other neighborhood for the money. Glad I picked here, and a perfect first home!

Oh yeah... and only a ten minute drive to work downtown without highways!

Old 04-30-2010, 02:02 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,940,777 times
^ well you may be getting a neighbor soon. the "garden district" of covedale is super attractive to my wife and i; we are the demographic you describe. the idea of being close, being able to put 20% down and having a mortage payment that doesn't cause stress is very attractive

Old 04-30-2010, 04:30 PM

350 posts, read 880,058 times
Yes! The west side is alive, baby!

I bought my new home in the Westwood in the Town Hall Historical District. It was a tough call between my neighborhood and Covedale Gaslight. I chose Westwood because it's closer to my son and work, but either are fine neighborhoods.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:37 PM

350 posts, read 880,058 times
On point, if you want to see the finest homes in WPH, they fall on the Three O's, in order: Omena, Olivia, and Overlook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati