Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 07:40 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times

Advertisements

People that have lived around here for awhile, I think they have become accustom to the strangest weather Ive ever seen in an area!

I used to hear people say "if you dont like the weather in Cincy, wait 5 minutes", but from what I can tell, that is completely wrong, when nasty weather fronts move, they park themselves over Cincy for LONG, LONG stretches, here lately the humidity has been thru the roof high, days where there is some relief are very few and far between, heat and humidity usually build back up to very uncomfortable levels within a day or two! Not sure why we cant have comfortable weather for LONG stretches and days with high heat and humidity, few and far between.

Another thing, the local weather stations do a terrible job when it comes to reporting humidity/ dew points, I remember last Sept I watched the forecast on WLWT-ch 5, the lady kept going on how beautiful the weather was, since it had dropped to the upper 70s, but she neglected to mention the humidity and dew point were SKY HIGH, so it felt terrible and very uncomfortable outside.

Ive been keeping a daily journal on the weather, its very simple, I record whether I needed to use air conditioning or heating in order to feel comfortable (Im defining comfortable anywhere between 65-82 degrees with less than 40% humidity/ dew point.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 06:19 AM

649 posts, read 816,721 times
Yes, the weather is weird. Having moved back here recently(ish) from someplace with normal weather the contrast is stark. Where we lived before when it looked like rain- it would rain, and you would prepare for that day as a "rainy day.". Whereas here it can look like rain for a week and never rain and then be bright and sunny some other day and rain like h*ll for an hour and be sunny again. There seem to be fewer days where it is a "rainy day" or a "sunny day" or a "cloudy day." You do not get many whole days of the same weather.

OTOH in the global warming future I expect southern Ohio to be a tremendous breadbasket with the confluence of warm weather and masses of rain.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:44 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
People say the "wait 5 minutes" thing everywhere I've lived, so I wouldn't put much stock into that. The same with whether a day is "beautiful" or not - perhaps compared to the previous day, it is.

The only thing I ever found odd about Cincinnati's weather was the relative lack of wind. I grew up along Lake Erie, where there's lots of wind.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:37 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,085,472 times
Concur with the lack of wind versus other parts of the country. Otherwise, the stretch of hot and humid weather we have had over the last month is rather atypical. Usually there are stretches of breaks for a few days, but remember, a good chunk of that time frame is August which is still hot and humid summer weather. What we missed this year were some of the breaks as the weather patterns stalled with scattered storms appearing most days. That finally has broken with the remnants of Gordon soaking the region through tonight. Should be some nice days ahead this week until we hit the low 80's again on Thursday or Friday.

And as always, weather is a relative phenomenon, from person to person, from region to region.

Old 09-29-2018, 09:42 AM
on3

498 posts, read 385,242 times
This weather is amazing compared to Chicago, Buffalo, or Cleveland. I shovel my drive less than 5 times a year and don't have to deal with all the crap that people from those places deal with for 4 months out of the year. Far less gray skies here. Just an overall feeling of winning when you can live in the midwest but "cheat" by living in the southern part of the mid west to gain all the benefits of the better weather compare to those other areas. The sacrifice is the lakes. I understand why people make the sacrifice in order to enjoy those great lakes in the summer. Nothing like boating or sitting out on your boat dock relaxing on a nice calm day watching the water. You can't get that same experience with an Ohio river. Everything is a compromise. Pick your battles but pick wisely so that you don't wind up being miserable because you chose to live in an area that doesn't cater to your hobbies.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:56 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on3 View Post
This weather is amazing compared to Chicago, Buffalo, or Cleveland. I shovel my drive less than 5 times a year and don't have to deal with all the crap that people from those places deal with for 4 months out of the year. Far less gray skies here. Just an overall feeling of winning when you can live in the midwest but "cheat" by living in the southern part of the mid west to gain all the benefits of the better weather compare to those other areas. The sacrifice is the lakes. I understand why people make the sacrifice in order to enjoy those great lakes in the summer. Nothing like boating or sitting out on your boat dock relaxing on a nice calm day watching the water. You can't get that same experience with an Ohio river. Everything is a compromise. Pick your battles but pick wisely so that you don't wind up being miserable because you chose to live in an area that doesn't cater to your hobbies.
As a resident of the Lake Erie snow belt northeast of Ohio, I can tell you that winters are moderating rapidly.

We used to regularly experience snow in late October. October snows have been gone over a decade. Serious winters don't begin to after Christmas, with an occasional severe storm in November, followed by snowless weeks in December. Winter ends by early March. The massive blizzards of years past seem to be the thing of history. See posts 6 and 10 in this thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...land-area.html

Many Greater Clevelanders enjoy winter sports, such as cross country and downhill skiing, sledding, tubing, ice hiking, Cleveland Metroparks' toboggan chutes, outdoor ice skating, etc.

The other trade-off for more significant winters in Cleveland is less hot and less muggy summers. See following links.

Your claim of "far less gray skies" in Cincinnati versus Cleveland is an exaggeration. See cloud cover below.

https://weatherspark.com/y/15856/Ave...tes-Year-Round

https://weatherspark.com/y/18154/Ave...tes-Year-Round

Lake Erie acts as a natural heater in the autumn resulting in brilliant falls in northeast Ohio, the favorite season for many Greater Clevelanders.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:04 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on3 View Post
Welcome back maxmodder! Why the new name?

Old 09-29-2018, 05:18 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Concur with the lack of wind versus other parts of the country. Otherwise, the stretch of hot and humid weather we have had over the last month is rather atypical. Usually there are stretches of breaks for a few days, but remember, a good chunk of that time frame is August which is still hot and humid summer weather. What we missed this year were some of the breaks as the weather patterns stalled with scattered storms appearing most days. That finally has broken with the remnants of Gordon soaking the region through tonight. Should be some nice days ahead this week until we hit the low 80's again on Thursday or Friday.

And as always, weather is a relative phenomenon, from person to person, from region to region.
I was surprised my A/C kicked on this morning, the local news has been going on and on how 'comfortable' the weather is right now, taste of fall was thrown around a few times, but when I walked outside this morning at 8am, the dewpoint was so crazy high, my hair was soaked with sweat within about 15 mins!

More often than not, Id rather hear the humidity and dew point numbers instead of temperatures, so I can plan things accordingly. I made the mistake of trusting 'comfortable temps' years ago, one weekend, and made plans with my grandparents...well Channel 5, 9 and 12 failed to mention, even though temps were going to be low 70s, humidity was up in the middle 60s!! It was tough for my grandparents to breathe a good part of the day. I actually emailed one of the stations and told them about it, asking if they would talk about humidity and dew points more often before calling weather 'comfortable' or nice.

But these are Cincinnati news media in the end, last winter I heard the weather guy from Channel 5 refer to winter days that were sunny but in the single digits as 'beautiful'!!! lol I dont care if there isnt a cloud in the sky and the sun is shining bright...if temps are THAT cold, there is NOTHING beautiful about the day.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:34 PM
on3

498 posts, read 385,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Welcome back maxmodder! Why the new name?
Who? Modding to the max? What am I modding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
As a resident of the Lake Erie snow belt northeast of Ohio, I can tell you that winters are moderating rapidly.

We used to regularly experience snow in late October. October snows have been gone over a decade. Serious winters don't begin to after Christmas, with an occasional severe storm in November, followed by snowless weeks in December. Winter ends by early March. The massive blizzards of years past seem to be the thing of history. See posts 6 and 10 in this thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...land-area.html

Many Greater Clevelanders enjoy winter sports, such as cross country and downhill skiing, sledding, tubing, ice hiking, Cleveland Metroparks' toboggan chutes, outdoor ice skating, etc.

The other trade-off for more significant winters in Cleveland is less hot and less muggy summers. See following links.

Your claim of "far less gray skies" in Cincinnati versus Cleveland is an exaggeration. See cloud cover below.

https://weatherspark.com/y/15856/Ave...tes-Year-Round

https://weatherspark.com/y/18154/Ave...tes-Year-Round

Lake Erie acts as a natural heater in the autumn resulting in brilliant falls in northeast Ohio, the favorite season for many Greater Clevelanders.
This is great news if Cleveland is getting better weather than in the past. I have friends that have boat docks at mentor marina and I did notice that this summer seemed to be less muggy than others in the past. We rode jet ski's on Lake Erie and it was a great time. I can only assume that lake front property has gone up in value. One of my friends who lives on Lake Shore Blvd had to invest $50k to repair his break wall which he was able to do and the view of Lake Erie from there is amazing. Can't get that in Columbus or Cincinnati. How blessed are we to be Ohioans that if it get's too muggy in southern OH, we just travel to northern OH or if it gets to snowy in northern OH, simply travel to southern OH. Just a straight shot up or down 71. It's almost unfair that we enjoy such things all while never having to leave our home state. I'm really enjoying the football season so far in Ohio...we've got the Browns looking good. We've got the Bengals looking good, we got OSU... it's just not fair to others that had to unfortunately leave Ohio (they will be back) while we enjoy all this.

Last edited by on3; 09-29-2018 at 07:04 PM..

Old 09-29-2018, 08:25 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,085,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I was surprised my A/C kicked on this morning, the local news has been going on and on how 'comfortable' the weather is right now, taste of fall was thrown around a few times, but when I walked outside this morning at 8am, the dewpoint was so crazy high, my hair was soaked with sweat within about 15 mins!

More often than not, Id rather hear the humidity and dew point numbers instead of temperatures, so I can plan things accordingly. I made the mistake of trusting 'comfortable temps' years ago, one weekend, and made plans with my grandparents...well Channel 5, 9 and 12 failed to mention, even though temps were going to be low 70s, humidity was up in the middle 60s!! It was tough for my grandparents to breathe a good part of the day. I actually emailed one of the stations and told them about it, asking if they would talk about humidity and dew points more often before calling weather 'comfortable' or nice.

But these are Cincinnati news media in the end, last winter I heard the weather guy from Channel 5 refer to winter days that were sunny but in the single digits as 'beautiful'!!! lol I dont care if there isnt a cloud in the sky and the sun is shining bright...if temps are THAT cold, there is NOTHING beautiful about the day.
LOL! I know what you mean. I think it is still a personal preference. I travel, and I know for a fact that when I come back from Florida, Houston, Georgia, etc that I feel wonderfully refreshed upon return. The oppoiste can be said when I return from the northeast (when there is no heat wave) or out west. I flew back from So Cal about a month ago in jeans via SFO. When I stepped off the plane Saturday (I think it was Labor Day weekend) it was miserable.

I think you would like being out west were there is little to no humidity. Going to Colorado Springs Monday and will probably feel a little nippy when I step off the plane in Denver!

Just try to stay cool out there!

P.S. I would highly consider moving west if it were not for water issues in the American southwest and then some. California is facing major water issues that I don't see abating anytime soon. Oh, and prices are high!

Last edited by wrightflyer; 09-29-2018 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: Water Costs Issues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati