Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2018, 07:52 AM

3 posts, read 3,384 times

Advertisements

Hello, moving from a suburb of chicago to cincy for work, asian family of four.
We would like to be in a good school district with smaller size classrooms(~13 kids or so) so we've seen sycamore school district, madeira and indian hill fitting that criteria. My work is in west chester so I've considered mason school district even though the class sizes are much larger (~24 kids)...

I've recently seen articles in mason about racism and while i've never thought much about it, is there a real reason for concern?

Any info would be great

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 01:14 PM

649 posts, read 816,541 times
Student teacher ratio and actual daily class size are vastly different. I do not think that there is a public school with a 13/1 experience in real life around here. Sycamore is a large district while IH is small. If you want a small school experience then go fo IH. Class sizes will likely be 22ish.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:49 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,881 times
How long of a commute are you willing to tolerate? While you would primarily be going opposite the downtown traffic, don't discount traffic heading north on I-75 either, especially with the decades long and still some to go construction project. Currently they are stationed near Evendale and the GE Aviation plant.

Also, I-275 going west in the AM and east in the PM between 75 and 71 can become rather clogged, especially with drivers using it as the primary northern Hamilton County jumping point between the two major interstates.

Depending on your commute time you are looking for, there are some smaller districts inside the beltway in Hamilton County. You mentioned Madiera, which would actually be my first choice, unless you want to pay $800,000-1,000,000+ for a home in Indian Hill. Maderia isn't cheap either, with most new construction being tear downs (think Park Ridge style types of tear downs) priced in the $500,000-750,000+ range. So the other factor to consider here is, "What's your budget?"

If either of these aren't a huge concern, then Maderia would be my first choice then Indian Hill. Maderia has a more homey feel with an actual downtown, where as Indian Hill is large manor estates spread among some executive style developments (homes on acreage that can be new or older).

But, if those prices shock you, or you would rather be closer to West Chester for work, I would say stick to Warren or Butler Counties. Warren County, specifically Mason, would be your best bet. Outside of its large school atmosphere, which I have heard both pros and cons regarding from higher education professionals, it has a somewhat diverse student body and decent class options. In Butler County, also check in on Lakota Schools. They have a large district as well, and rank slightly lower than Mason, but their schools are more neighborhood based and there are two high schools versus one large high school such as in Mason. Lakota also has a more diverse student body than other Warren or Butler County districts that perform well. The rest of Warren and Butler counties are mostly white, republican and Trump voters for the most part. Exceptions would be parts of Middletown, but the schools there are not the best in performance.

Homes in Mason and Lakota Schools can vary in price usually with new builds starting at $300,000 and going up from there. Both have somewhat older cookie-cutter developments with nice sized homes from the 90's and 00's, which will likely be cheaper than building a new, similar sized home. There's more older development in West Chester versus Mason or Liberty Township (the latter is primarily Lakota Schools), so even better price deals can be found here if you don't mind a home likely built in the 80's or early-to-mid 90's.

If school size is the primary factor and you can tolerate the commute, cross the Lakota and Mason schools off the list. Same would go for Sycamore. Instead, focus on Maderia, Wyoming and Indian Hill depending on budget. Mariemont Schools (Mariemont/Fairfax/Terrace Park) may be another option if school size is your biggest concern, but it would represent the longest commute.

Ultimately, look at school sizes, especially at the high school and middle school levels. Keep in mind some districts, such as Lakota and Mason, have schools just for 9th graders. If that doesn't appeal to your desires, keep those factors in mind. I would check the Ohio Department of Education website and look at things like student-to-teacher ratio, graduating class sizes, percentage of students who graduate, high school size, and AP/IB classes offered, with emphasis on AP. Some may even allow college credit allowances by taking classes at local colleges or universities, which may also appeal to your children as well. The big three universities in the Cincinnati, Ohio area are Miami University (Semi-Public Liberal Arts and Research University), University of Cincinnati (Public State Research University), and Xavier University (Private Catholic University).

Old 11-02-2018, 07:41 PM
on3

498 posts, read 384,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincynewcomer View Post
We would like to be in a good school district with smaller size classrooms(~13 kids or so) so we've seen sycamore school district, madeira and indian hill fitting that criteria. My work is in west chester so I've considered mason school district even though the class sizes are much larger (~24 kids)...

I've recently seen articles in mason about racism and while i've never thought much about it, is there a real reason for concern?

Any info would be great

Thanks!
Racism in Mason? Um.. no. Sounds like a bunch of jealous Lakota school district parents stirring the pot. Send your kids to Mason. It's a great place to live. I live in West Chester and if I had kids I'd live in Mason.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:34 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincynewcomer View Post

Thanks!

And before you make the decision to accept the position, make sure that you understand the tax impacts of your move. More than likely, you will pay local income taxes in the municipality that you live in and the municipality that work in. That needs to be considered when you are negotiating a salary package.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:19 AM

224 posts, read 297,289 times
I can't imagine there is a public school, or even many private schools around here where class sizes tend to be 13. If you can afford Mason, you'll be fine there if you can live with what are probably larger classroom sizes.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Toy View Post
I can't imagine there is a public school, or even many private schools around here where class sizes tend to be 13. If you can afford Mason, you'll be fine there if you can live with what are probably larger classroom sizes.
I teach in a private Catholic school in Northern KY. Our class ratio is about 1:15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati