Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 05:50 AM

80 posts, read 344,756 times

Advertisements

CincyUK, Relocators are often lured by the promise of a good job/promotion and don't know what it's like to live somewhere until they've stayed awhile, so it is important to do the research before you make the decision. People tend to be optimistic, like the idea of starting over somewhere new, and believe the "grass is greener" on the other side. No place is perfect, all cities have their problems and I was just pointing out what two of Cincinnati's are, for me anyway and possibly for others, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 09:11 AM

12 posts, read 23,724 times
As someone who has only been driving for a few years and still gets a bit nervous on highways with heavy traffic, I can say that one of the things I've loved about Cincinnati is that there are lots of different ways to getting where I need to be! If I'm headed to Fairfield, I won't take 75, I just take Winton. Gets me there in the same amount of time and I don't have to deal with a highway. Lots of alternatives, I find.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:01 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMikey617 View Post
Hamilton County would be smart to REQUIRE semi-truck through traffic to use 275 west (note, I say through traffic only). This would lower the diesel emissions out of the center city air, not to mention the emissions of hundreds of thousands of idling cars trapped around the thousands of semi-trucks what have no business driving through the center of town at 8AM.
First of all, YoMikey617, federal law says that local jurisdictions CANNOT prohibit truck traffic on any section of interstate highway. (Mircea, the Teamsters had NOTHING to do with the law.) The only exceptions are requiring HAZMAT loads to bypass a downtown by using a loop OR a temporary detour for construction or an accident. (I-285 around Atlanta is grandfathered because they had the restriction in place before the law took effect) Secondly, most drivers are paid by the mile, so taking the I-275 loop would cheat me out of about $6.00 every trip I made around the loop. For your information, diesel engines emit far less pollutants now than they used to. And further regulations set to be implemented in 2012 will reduce emissons even further. Truck owners pay road taxes so why in the world would it be OK to prohibit trucks from using something they help pay for. Besides, President Eisenhower designated the Interstate highway system for the efficient movement of military equipment and personnel and of cargo. So get the heck off of our highway!

Old 05-05-2008, 04:17 PM

245 posts, read 1,273,036 times
Default move to the city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
You should probably replace "Cincinnati" with "The Suburbs". lol ... Me being caught in a bad traffic jam is very, very rare ... and I live in Cincinnati.
DITTO! East Walnut Hills here, and we simply don't have traffic jams. There's a daily mini-jam in O'Byronville heading outbound but that's about it. I also think we have more woodsy lots here than they do in the burbs.

North of 275 is not Cincinnati. I happen to think a lot of those "north of 275ers" could save at least 1/3rd of their income if they just moved into town. Everything's within a mile, there's no traffic. If schools are in issue, just send them to private schools or even pay the tuition at some of the suburban districts.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:28 PM

710 posts, read 3,046,153 times
cincinnati does not have bad traffic. I live in the city and because I only commute for 10 minutes a day, i get to spend an extra hour with my son.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:28 AM

267 posts, read 722,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartbury View Post
"One of the most congested peripheral corridors in the nation is the stretch of Greater Cincinnati's own beltway, I-275, as it brushes the topside of Hamilton County to scoop up I-75 from Dayton and I-71 from Columbus before sending them on their converging way to and through inner neighborhoods of the central city."

See National Geographic article on Cincinnati:

Urban Development, City Living, Urbanization, Urban Growth - National Geographic

I moved here six months ago and sorely regret it! Am getting fat from always been stuck in in my car and in traffic jams -- have you seen rush hour on 275?

This is one congested, sprawl-stricken city. Think twice about your daily quality of life before you accept that relocation package! (Of course, if you're coming from LA this may be moot!)

The air quality/asthma and allergy indexes are not good either. Just do your research!
nothing wrong with cincinnati.. i live here all of my life
you can have those problem any where you live

Old 05-12-2008, 11:07 AM

450 posts, read 1,203,200 times
Our traffic is not that bad...go to Dallas or Atlanta there are places where you sit in traffic

Old 05-12-2008, 11:37 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartbury View Post
"One of the most congested peripheral corridors in the nation is the stretch of Greater Cincinnati's own beltway, I-275, as it brushes the topside of Hamilton County to scoop up I-75 from Dayton and I-71 from Columbus before sending them on their converging way to and through inner neighborhoods of the central city."

See National Geographic article on Cincinnati:

Urban Development, City Living, Urbanization, Urban Growth - National Geographic

I moved here six months ago and sorely regret it! Am getting fat from always been stuck in in my car and in traffic jams -- have you seen rush hour on 275?

This is one congested, sprawl-stricken city. Think twice about your daily quality of life before you accept that relocation package! (Of course, if you're coming from LA this may be moot!)

The air quality/asthma and allergy indexes are not good either. Just do your research!
I don't doubt this is true. With that said, Cincinnati isn't the only one either.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:38 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydunn View Post
Our traffic is not that bad...go to Dallas or Atlanta there are places where you sit in traffic
Agreed. I don't drive a car and I know what traffic is like. I am beginning to see rush our in Kennesaw continue into the dark hours(8 and 9 pm).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati