Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 11:31 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times

Advertisements

Thanks! I'd planned on just ubering down to the park but after seeing how cheap (and close) the streetcar is, it seems like a no-brainer. That makes me feel better knowing it's pretty reliable. As a visitor, it sure seems like it's an easy way to get around downtown but obviously I understand the cost and other concerns that locals could certainly have about it. Nashville has been wrestling, unsuccessfully, with similar issues for decades with nothing to show for it except more traffic and scooter injuries.

I'll download the app as it sounds like that'll make it even easier to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
If you're in town for a Reds game you can ride streetcar for free with your reds ticket.
Wow! Thanks...I was not aware of this benefit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 09:55 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
Just a follow up from my visit...we found the connector to be a very easy and safe way to navigate the area. Oddly enough (though I got the impression from a regular rider this is normal) we were never asked for our tickets. App was easy to use and intuitive.

For any future Cincinnati visitors on the fence, I'd definitely recommend using the connector.

Old 01-03-2020, 12:50 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Cincinnati streetcar: The city now runs the 'Connector,' but what does that actually mean?

SORTA relinquished oversight at midnight, Jan. 1

https://www.wcpo.com/news/transporta...-actually-mean

The gift that keeps on giving/or taking

Old 01-04-2020, 02:11 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,772,549 times
Oh man. SORTA kind of sort of sucks as a name. as if the midwest cities don't have enough bad rep for transit. As in it's sort of a system. How's it been doing though?

Old 01-05-2020, 02:20 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,085,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Just a follow up from my visit...we found the connector to be a very easy and safe way to navigate the area. Oddly enough (though I got the impression from a regular rider this is normal) we were never asked for our tickets. App was easy to use and intuitive.

For any future Cincinnati visitors on the fence, I'd definitely recommend using the connector.
I've ridden a handful of times and the only time I was asked for a ticket check was on a Reds game going from where I parked downtown to the The Banks. Otherwise, I usually don't see police on board verifying fares. However, the process is random and the fine is hefty.

Rode today (Sunday mid-morning and around noon / 1 o'clock timeframes) and it was empty to start but as people began coming out due to the nice weather (finally!), riders started to appear. The system would probably see a spike in ridership if it went all the way to UC or even Clifton, but I don't see how getting up the hill would work. Engineering and construction costs were already high with just the current infrastructure. An extension like that would probably require a transfer between lines at Findlay Market, which is not in the best part of OTR.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:52 PM

860 posts, read 1,357,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
I've ridden a handful of times and the only time I was asked for a ticket check was on a Reds game going from where I parked downtown to the The Banks. Otherwise, I usually don't see police on board verifying fares. However, the process is random and the fine is hefty.

Rode today (Sunday mid-morning and around noon / 1 o'clock timeframes) and it was empty to start but as people began coming out due to the nice weather (finally!), riders started to appear. The system would probably see a spike in ridership if it went all the way to UC or even Clifton, but I don't see how getting up the hill would work. Engineering and construction costs were already high with just the current infrastructure. An extension like that would probably require a transfer between lines at Findlay Market, which is not in the best part of OTR.
I love this topic, as we have a few good options to chose from. I would suggest, that since Uptown is literally up (on top of a hill), and the streetcar can reach speeds of up to 45 mph, we should just build a tunnel to connect OTR to UC. A massive station/hub near the Vine Street transit center would be the first stop and primary rail transit hub for the entire metro area. From there, a spur tunnel heading west could host a separate line that would connect to the future Western Hills Viaduct, and serve as a line to the west side.

There's also, an abandoned subway station near Central Ave that can be used if the original subway system was ever renovated. From UC, the light rail can continue north to the zoo, and even Xavier and Rookwood. However, this would take a monumental shift in government policy prioritizing the needs of US Citizens and infrastructure. With the president bragging about spending $2.2 Trillion on weapons of war, I don't have much faith in the country to address basic transit issues. Hell, we force everyone into cars and barely maintain our roads and streetlights, our whole approach to transit needs to evolve.

Old 01-09-2020, 05:26 AM

610 posts, read 796,977 times
^ Plus the funding was already in place to have the streetcar go up Vine Street but after Kasich was elected he pulled the money. Kasich also rejected the 3-C line that would have given us rail connection from Cincinnati to Columbus and Cleveland from the Obama administration. That money was spent on transit on other states while we're still stuck with I-71 as the only option. Meanwhile ODOT and state republicans seem satisfied with building an empty and pointless by-pass around the population bleeding Portsmouth area for $634 Million and will cost $1.2 BILLION to maintain over the next 35 years. Yet the budget to run the streetcar is less than 1% of the total budget of the city. Cincinnati spends more money cutting grass than it does on the streetcar.

Last edited by cincydave8; 01-09-2020 at 06:51 AM..

Old 01-09-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincydave8 View Post
^ Plus the funding was already in place to have the streetcar go up Vine Street but after Kasich was elected he pulled the money. Kasich also rejected the 3-C line that would have given us rail connection from Cincinnati to Columbus and Cleveland from the Obama administration. That money was spent on transit on other states while we're still stuck with I-71 as the only option. Meanwhile ODOT and state republicans seem satisfied with building an empty and pointless by-pass around the population bleeding Portsmouth area for $634 Million and will cost $1.2 BILLION to maintain over the next 35 years. Yet the budget to run the streetcar is less than 1% of the total budget of the city. Cincinnati spends more money cutting grass than it does on the streetcar.
All of this was so infuriating to watch unfold, as I've never seen a state so opposed to rail transit. Even when i was living in Florida, they were making serious strides in connecting their major metros by rail. Florida is pretty much all highways, and even they are investing in alternate modes of transportation. Ohio is so uninspiring.

Even more infuriating, they spend all of this money on roads, forcing us into cars, and can't maintain the road networks. Cincinnati's highways are horrible. Arterial streets: Horrible. Residential streets: horrible. Metro Bus funding: Horrible. Street lights aren't on at night, or are missing entirely. Crosswalks are poorly lit and the painted lines designating them are peeling off. Ohio needs to embrace it's urban infrastructure more, as this is one of the most urban states I can think of.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:33 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,772,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
I love this topic, as we have a few good options to chose from. I would suggest, that since Uptown is literally up (on top of a hill), and the streetcar can reach speeds of up to 45 mph, we should just build a tunnel to connect OTR to UC. A massive station/hub near the Vine Street transit center would be the first stop and primary rail transit hub for the entire metro area. From there, a spur tunnel heading west could host a separate line that would connect to the future Western Hills Viaduct, and serve as a line to the west side.

Tunnels are very very expensive. How long of a tunnel would it be do you think? To give some perspective, Pittsburgh's light rail extension tunnel from downtown to the north shore of the Allegheny in 2010 ended up costing about $1.2 billion. Granted it was under a river, and that might be a bit more expensive, but probably all tuunels would be very expensive if not quite that much.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Tunnels are very very expensive. How long of a tunnel would it be do you think? To give some perspective, Pittsburgh's light rail extension tunnel from downtown to the north shore of the Allegheny in 2010 ended up costing about $1.2 billion. Granted it was under a river, and that might be a bit more expensive, but probably all tuunels would be very expensive if not quite that much.
Cincinnati needs around $5 Billion+ in infrastructure upgrades. You're absolutely right, tunnels are EXPENSIVE. Until our government stops wasting money on war and subsidizing the 1%, we will be strapped for cash to fund these projects for the foreseeable future. The longer we wait, the more expensive it gets. We would need nearly 3 miles of tunnel for a light rail to work, and another mile or so of tunnel to bury I-75 and carry it under the Ohio River, leaving the Brent Spence Bridge for I-71. And all of that is still just the tip of the iceberg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati