Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2019, 12:54 AM

1 posts, read 968 times

Advertisements

So my job may be bringing me to the Cincinnati area some time soon. More likely then not I'll be working either at CVG itself, or somewhere in the Florence KY Area. What im trying to figure out is where i should be looking to be living.

Copy/Paste below. Some of the unimportant things have been omitted

. Have you searched this forum for answers to your questions before posting a new inquiry? YES
. What specific topic have you not found answers to?

. Where is you current location and environment? Charleston, SC
. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change? Doesn't made a difference to me right now.

. Where will your work location be? Either CVG Airport, or Nearby in Florence
. Maximum commute time desired? 45 minutes would be prefered

. What is you budget for housing? Max of $1700
. Rent or buy? Rent
. Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family) Apt or Single Family
. Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths) Preferably 3 bed/2 bath

. Neighborhood environment? Mid-urban, leaning closer to Suburban
. Mid-urban, close in neighborhood or suburb, stable investment
. Suburban, low maintenance, quiet streets, soccer mom atmosphere
. Family oriented Yes, i have two kids, 6 and 11
. Great schools
. Older, distinctive architecture, individual character
. Modern, 15 yrs old or less, move-in ready
. Diversity of income, race, housing? Doesn't make a big difference
. Very safe, low crime area? Would prefer this

. Schools?
. High Ranked Public schools Need good schools, with good Special Needs programs
. Small or large district? Doesn't make a big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 11:26 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Union KY, or Boone county. Union is the nicest community in Boone, there is really only one school district which is boone county & they have really good special needs programs.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:50 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,859,085 times
It seems like it would make the most sense for you to stay on the KY side of the river, and I agree with bellhead, Boone County would be a good place to start your search.

Fort Mitchell/Beachwood Schools in neighboring Kenton County may be a good place to look in addition to Fort Thomas which is a little further east in Campbell County.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:15 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,081,848 times
I would agree to concentrate on Boone County. I don't know the specific special needs programs in any given district. For performance, Ryle HS is typically regarded as the top of the heap in Boone County Schools. Connor and Cooper High Schools are also very good. Florence HS is OK.

I don't know if Boone County is considering another HS for the district but I would assume with all of the development in the county, it will eventually be needed.

Pretty much all of Boone County, especially Union, Burlington and Hebron, are typical suburban developments from over the last 20-30 years or newer. Finding a single family home to rent would probably be better since you are looking for 3 bedrooms, but I would imagine at $1700/month would mean it is older or smaller.

I'll suggest you add Walton-Verona schools to your list to consider checking out as well. While Walton is a small town, it has seen increasing development due to building patterns moving south along the I-71/75 corridor. It covers southern parts of Boone County, including many rolling hill areas around rural Verona. There are some shopping amenities, but most things would be 10-20 minutes north around the Florence Mall and Burlington exits. I would check in on Walton-Verona's special needs programs as well though, as it is a smaller district so resources might not be as available as in a big district like Boone County.

Kenton County may also be good, but I think you can get the same thing housing wise with same or better schools and newer housing in Boone County over Independence, Villa Hills, Fort Wright or Edgewood (all in Kenton). If you do find what you are looking for school wise in Kenton County (either Simon Kenton HS or Dixie Heights HS would be my recommendations), I would still say go for it. I don't think you will find much for $1700/month in Beechwood/Fort Mitchell as it is a small area and commands high sale prices. Of Kenton County, I would avoid Covington Independent School District and Erlanger-Elsemere Independent School District.

Fort Thomas may be a wild card. If you do want an older home with character, I personally think you cannot go wrong here. Owner-occupied homes are lower here in part because many buildings are well kept duplexes or multi-unit buildings. Lots of character and still plenty of single family homes. Market might be tight for a 3bed at $1700/month but you cannot beat Fort Thomas Schools. Easily in the Top 3 or 5 in the state. And a decent student body population and resources that might be able to get what you want on the special needs front. But with the character and bedroom community feel, most major shopping would be done in Kenton/Boone County, Rookwood Commons in Cincinnati or Anderson Township/Union Township. Though most basics can be found in Campbell County or Newport (Target, Walmart, large-scale Kroger, TJ Maxx, Dicks, etc.). While Cold Spring in Campbell County and Campbell County schools would also be a good recommendation, I think you would find much the same in Boone County and be closer to your work, which is the biggest trade off with living in Fort Thomas.

Finally, I also agree I would focus on the KY side of the river, with perhaps some consideration for portions of Indiana. Once you hit Ohio, going around the west side on I-275, it becomes increasingly longer on the commuting front. And coming from downtown Cincinnati crossings, especially on the Brent Spence, you will eventually have to deal with the new bridge construction coming in "who-knows-when-but-it-was-needed-yesterday" years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati