Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 08:39 PM

77 posts, read 195,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlygurl View Post
The original poster said he/she did not want to live anywhere with bad karma. Well....Price Hill has bad karma.

Does it have some of the most beautiful architecture in the city? Yes.

Is it basically inaccessible because of crime and urban decline? Yes.

Is there wonderful potential for urban renewal and renovation to include greater diversity, economic growth ,and ease of ethnic tension? Yes.

Do I recommend anyone move there without SERIOUS research and without their eyes WIDE open to the problems? No.

Hesitate, hesitate, hesitate before moving to Price Hill.

Bad Karma!? Heck if any thing the whole urban pioneer thing should grant one good Karma.

What does accessibility to Price Hill have to have to do with its crime and urban decay?

I'm sick of hearing about the tired generalsations made about Price Hill as a whole. The are lots of neighborhood in the area that even the most snobbish east sider would be proud to call home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,190 times
Default Advice regarding Elderly parent still living in the "hill"

[quote=bscott0076;295330]I am a cop in the district you are questioning about. 1) Poohh is a jackass, since he's been here since 2001, he knows that we cannot do **** to fight what the good people of Price Hill want us to do, or else our ass is on the line cause the complaints that come rolling in if we target a couple drug dealers. And thank you we show up to every call that is put in. 2) St. Lawrence corner is not the best place to go. I would highly suggest anything west of Rapid Run Pk. Still city, but vast majority of all properties are ownership, not rental, and you know how that goes. Plus, you are still a few minutes depending on the lights from downtown, and very close to the more big box type stores which are just a minute away as well. ie., best buy, home depot, walmart (if you need it), target, those type. 3) Basically it is a great place, just adjust your target a little bit, cause the St. Lawrence corner area is not to sweet. 4) my email is [EMAIL="heavy_ko@hotmail.com"]heavy_ko@hotmail.com[/EMAIL], feel free to contact me for additional info about the area. I have lived IN Price Hill for a little while now, and work all it 6 days a week from 11p to 7a, when the "freaks" are out, so drop me a line if you have any additional questions.
Like I said, it is a great neighborhood, but coming in to own, you need the right info.[/quot

Hello! I grew up in West Price Hill by St. Williams Church and my elderly mother still lives there in the house we grew up in. I have a growing concern on whether she is safe, esp. after hearing about an elderly couple experiencing a home invasion in nearby Delhi. She is very independent and healthy but in her 80s and I am petrified she might fall prey to a criminal looking for drug money. Should I be worried and move her out of the neighborhood? What could we do to make her home more secure? Also, she shops in Western Hills. should I be concerned about her well being there? I'd really appreciate any advice.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:00 AM

682 posts, read 1,629,283 times
Cincinnati's biggest problem are the suburbanites who come on this board and "warn" everybody about how "dangerous" all the Urban neighborhood are. When we were looking at Cincinnati, for a historic house to restore and move into, I had dozens of people "warning" me to stay out of Fairmount because it was 'deadly"

We bought a house on a quiet street and have just the nicest neighbors. As for "crime infested?" Well my neighbors down the street park their late model Jag on the street and have no problem, The lady across the street from me drives a Lexus, no problems. There is 1.2 million dollars worth of private restoration going on in the 6 block area of our neighborhood. Sure you have a house alarm, just as you would anywhere these days.

Yes we have some section 8 in our neighborhood and yes we have "black people", heaven forbid! Everyone is respectful and watches out for each other. We just formed a new neighborhood group in our area and have some good things going on. Living in any "urban neighborhood" is different than the burbs.

I was in Price Hill this weekend , I saw alot of people working on the outside of their homes, planting flowers and such, and I didnt feel like i was in a "ghetto" or 'warzone'. There is alot of restoration going on in the area.

I turned around several really "rough" neighborhoods in Indianapolis. The naysayers on this board have no idea what a "rough" neighborhood is like. The suburbanites on this board equate "black people" with gangs and crime and it is not necessarily true. Price Hill has good blocks and bad blocks but I wouldn't write off the neighborhood. Facts are that alot of section 8 houses can't pass the tougher inspections and many of them are leaving the area. Also the facts are, that section 8 is heading for the burbs and townships, because the slumlords are buying up foreclosures there and in 10 years all the suburbanites who "pan" the downtown will 'wish' they lived there. The people in the townships are scared to death of section 8 and they want you to bring your money to their area so they can 'fend off" the slumlords.

So don't let the naysayers get to you! I wouldnt have any problem living in Price Hill. There are good blocks and bad blocks just like any area, but I think the neighborhood is on its way back. My suggestion, find a good realtor familiar with urban neighborhoods.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:37 AM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
Cincinnati's biggest problem are the suburbanites who come on this board and "warn" everybody about how "dangerous" all the Urban neighborhood are. When we were looking at Cincinnati, for a historic house to restore and move into, I had dozens of people "warning" me to stay out of Fairmount because it was 'deadly"

We bought a house on a quiet street and have just the nicest neighbors. As for "crime infested?" Well my neighbors down the street park their late model Jag on the street and have no problem, The lady across the street from me drives a Lexus, no problems. There is 1.2 million dollars worth of private restoration going on in the 6 block area of our neighborhood. Sure you have a house alarm, just as you would anywhere these days.

Yes we have some section 8 in our neighborhood and yes we have "black people", heaven forbid! Everyone is respectful and watches out for each other. We just formed a new neighborhood group in our area and have some good things going on. Living in any "urban neighborhood" is different than the burbs.

I was in Price Hill this weekend , I saw alot of people working on the outside of their homes, planting flowers and such, and I didnt feel like i was in a "ghetto" or 'warzone'. There is alot of restoration going on in the area.

I turned around several really "rough" neighborhoods in Indianapolis. The naysayers on this board have no idea what a "rough" neighborhood is like. The suburbanites on this board equate "black people" with gangs and crime and it is not necessarily true. Price Hill has good blocks and bad blocks but I wouldn't write off the neighborhood. Facts are that alot of section 8 houses can't pass the tougher inspections and many of them are leaving the area. Also the facts are, that section 8 is heading for the burbs and townships, because the slumlords are buying up foreclosures there and in 10 years all the suburbanites who "pan" the downtown will 'wish' they lived there. The people in the townships are scared to death of section 8 and they want you to bring your money to their area so they can 'fend off" the slumlords.

So don't let the naysayers get to you! I wouldnt have any problem living in Price Hill. There are good blocks and bad blocks just like any area, but I think the neighborhood is on its way back. My suggestion, find a good realtor familiar with urban neighborhoods.
Sounds like you're making as many assumptions about those of us in the suburbs as you think we make about the city. I don't consider myself a naysayer, even though I live in West Chester. I recommend areas in the city all the time, IF I think it's what the poster is looking for. But then again, that's all I try to do....think about what the OP wants, and not myself. I can't tell you how many times someone will come to these boards asking SPECIFICALLY for suburban areas outside the city core, but people still want to direct them into the city. Maybe we should ALL start thinking about what the OP wants, instead of trying to push our own ideas onto them.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:34 PM

Aquila with all due respect the opposite is also true. Folks who are looking for something in the city are steered toward the burbs on occasion because of city stereotypes.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:53 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by price hill will View Post
Aquila with all due respect the opposite is also true. Folks who are looking for something in the city are steered toward the burbs on occasion because of city stereotypes.
Which is why I stated we need to start providing information according to what the OP is seeking...not what we want for them.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:42 PM

89 posts, read 449,981 times
how much does it cost to live in this area? i might give it a try.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,137 times
IMHO Price Hill is the WORST area in Cincinnati.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:38 AM

89 posts, read 449,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosscollection View Post
I am from the WORST area in cleveland so it isn't a big deal to me.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosscollection View Post
This comment is frankly the most ignorant comment I've ever seen on these boards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati