Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2019, 07:57 AM

3 posts, read 1,935 times

Advertisements

Stopped by state trooper on Hwy 129. He said he was stopping me for no front license plate (which I didn't have on). Then, he asked my wife and I (both still in our seat belts and sitting in our van) if we had been wearing out seat belts because he didn't think he saw them own when we passed him at 68mph (he was sitting in median). We said yes were had been. My van seal belts are taupe colored and very similar in color to the olive drab army T shirt I was wearing. He said he would give me a ticket for no license plates which would be $100, or he could give me a ticket for seat belts not being on which would be $30, or for both. He asked me if I'd agree to the $30, and I said yes. So, I was only ticketed for not wearing seat belt when he was at the window see that we had them on and didn't put them on while he was walking up. I did not get charged with no front plate! I just feel like he was picking my pocket and I didn't like it. I have a totally clean record also and I also correctly informed him that I had a concealed permit but did not have a firearm on me. His demeanor was pleasant.

1. Seat Belt requires being stopped for a primary offense.
2. I received no charge for a primary offense.
3. Why did he stop me when 35% of cars don't have front plates, and if it was for front plates why no ticket for the primary offense I was stopped for?
4. If he mentions front plate in court, I would object because there is no charge before the court for a front plate violation so that is irrelevant.
5. If state police are so pissed that they front plate only had another year of life left, then why didn't he ticket me for it?
6. So, without a primary charge, how can I get a seat belt ticket when he was standing there looking at both of us wearing our seat belts.
7. I'm retired and $30 is a big chunk for me, but mainly the principle is involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 08:05 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,249,239 times
You chose the lower fee over the principle. Not sure why you're annoyed with the trooper who saved you $70.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:39 AM

3 posts, read 1,935 times
Gus, that is very shallow thinking. I didn't CHOSE anything. I told officer 'whatever you think' and didn't argue. Cases are not decided on the side of the road, and the officer is not the decider of right or wrong on the roadside. Sorry

Old 07-05-2019, 10:05 PM

1,037 posts, read 436,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svanos49 View Post
Correct.

Quote:
Does not legally matter, as long as the non plate issue was valid, and you agree it was, see # 3.

Quote:
3. Why did he stop me when 35% of cars don't have front plates
What date was this traffic stop? Ohio abrogated front tag requirements on July 1st.

Old 07-06-2019, 08:03 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,512,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTU2 View Post
Correct.

Does not legally matter, as long as the non plate issue was valid, and you agree it was, see # 3.

What date was this traffic stop? Ohio abrogated front tag requirements on July 1st.
The effective date on the front license plate law is July 1, 2020.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
The effective date on the front license plate law is July 1, 2020.
Thank you, my error!

Old 07-07-2019, 02:12 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,410,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svanos49 View Post
Stopped by state trooper on Hwy 129. He said he was stopping me for no front license plate (which I didn't have on). Then, he asked my wife and I (both still in our seat belts and sitting in our van) if we had been wearing out seat belts because he didn't think he saw them own when we passed him at 68mph (he was sitting in median). We said yes were had been. My van seal belts are taupe colored and very similar in color to the olive drab army T shirt I was wearing. He said he would give me a ticket for no license plates which would be $100, or he could give me a ticket for seat belts not being on which would be $30, or for both. He asked me if I'd agree to the $30, and I said yes. So, I was only ticketed for not wearing seat belt when he was at the window see that we had them on and didn't put them on while he was walking up. I did not get charged with no front plate! I just feel like he was picking my pocket and I didn't like it. I have a totally clean record also and I also correctly informed him that I had a concealed permit but did not have a firearm on me. His demeanor was pleasant.

3. Why did he stop me when 35% of cars don't have front plates, and if it was for front plates why no ticket for the primary offense I was stopped for?
4. If he mentions front plate in court, I would object because there is no charge before the court for a front plate violation so that is irrelevant.
5. If state police are so pissed that they front plate only had another year of life left, then why didn't he ticket me for it?
6. So, without a primary charge, how can I get a seat belt ticket when he was standing there looking at both of us wearing our seat belts.
7. I'm retired and $30 is a big chunk for me, but mainly the principle is involved.

1. You were correctly stopped because you violated the law by not having a front license plate.
2. If you really want to be charged for the primary offense, I'm sure the court will be more than happy to charge you for it.
3. I don't know why you were singled out. The fact is that you were breaking the law and you got caught. Then the cop gave you a break and charged you with a different offense in order to save you some money.
4. You can object all you want, but that doesn't make it "irrelevant". The cop is not required to charge you with every offense that they find. There is most likely a police report that gives a brief explanation of the stop, including the reason that you were pulled over.
5. The cop probably wasn't "pissed" at you for not having the front plate. If he was he would have charged you for it. He was just using it as an excuse to pull you over to check for other violations. Perhaps he thought you may have been drinking? I don't know. It doesn't matter. The fact is that you were pulled over for braking the law and the cop was trying to give you a break.
6. I'm sure if you really want to be charged for not having the front license plate, the court will be more than happy to charge you for it.
7. If you really want to set the record straight, go to court and plead your case and tell them that you had your seat belts on and that you would like to be charged for the offense that you got pulled over for instead. They will then increase your fine from $30 to $100 and likely add additional court fees on top of that. You can then tell them about how you are retired and don't like big chunks. You can then ask to pay for the fine with community service instead. They might let you do that. No guarantees though.

So yeah, go to court and waste everyone's time over a $30 ticket that you obviously don't deserve. Then come back and let us know how it went. Good luck!

Last edited by bfrabel; 07-07-2019 at 02:20 AM..

Old 07-08-2019, 04:27 PM

25 posts, read 22,544 times
This insistence of displaying one plate in what is still a two-plate state for one more year is something I see a LOT around Cincy. I'd think it must be a hillbilly Johnny Reb protest thing peculiar to southern Ohio due to to proximity of KY and WVa but I see bimmers in Indian Hill running around with one plate. I've lived in Wisconsin, Virginia and Massachusetts and everyone there puts two plates on, and they used to when I grew up in Cincy back in the day. And please spare me the excuses of no license plate frame. Baloney. I don't get it but whatever. If you are dumb enough to not have a front plate and risk a $100 fine until it becomes legal in 2020, you have no sympathy from me.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:27 PM

Cincy also permits a vehicle impound for not having two plates. Out of state 1 plate vehicles excluded due to FFC.

see (6)

https://library.municode.com/oh/cinc...E_S513-1IMMOVE

Last edited by LTU2; 07-08-2019 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 07-13-2019, 08:34 AM
on3

499 posts, read 388,035 times
What if the car doesn't have a place to put a front plate. This car doesn't have a bracket for a front plate. Could you display the plate behind the windshield?

https://d32c3oe4bky4k6.cloudfront.ne...87314E11416BCD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: