Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:10 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,453,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
So, I should tell my children to quit doing their homework, dropout when they reach 16, have 5 kids by the time they are 20 and in the end it will pay off because they will be rewarded with one of the hottest pieces of real estate in the midwest?

People should be rewarded for their hard work, not for their existance. What about the hard working people that make make up 90% of the metro area that won't be able to afford a home in the Banks? Will they be offered the same opportunity?
judging by that comment, you need to do your homework. a lot of it. big time lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 07:16 PM

414 posts, read 1,277,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
judging by that comment, you need to do your homework. a lot of it. big time lol.
Please expand.........

Old 04-16-2008, 10:17 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,718,326 times
"Cincinnati Mayor Mark Mallory angrily swatted down demands for public housing at The Banks Wednesday, saying it was ill-timed and counterproductive to affordable housing efforts in the region.

“How dare they? How dare CMHA,” Mallory said testily, the day after the Cincinnati Metropolitan Housing Authority voted to insist that the $1 billion riverfront development set aside a portion of the project for subsidized housing.

The mayor was particularly upset that he was blindsided by the proposal, coming as it did the week before heavy equipment is to begin moving dirt between the stadiums on the Ohio River – and a decade after the project was first proposed.

Mallory’s sentiments were echoed by Hamilton County commissioners, who either flatly dismissed the idea or declined to answer questions as “inflammatory.”

The Enquirer - Public housing at The Banks: 'ill-timed'

Old 04-17-2008, 09:06 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Hillside, this WHOLE discussion is about character and willingness to work hard to be able to live where you want to live. The harder you work and the better you apply yourself, the more you will improve your standard of living. And when you have the ability to afford nice housing you should not have to share your neighborhood with others that don't share your income and values (OR industriousness...). Anything else is a bunch of hooey...

(Even at my income level, I certainly don't think I have a RIGHT to live at the Banks...)

Old 04-17-2008, 09:20 AM
QCP QCP started this thread

185 posts, read 524,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Hillside, this WHOLE discussion is about character and willingness to work hard to be able to live where you want to live. The harder you work and the better you apply yourself, the more you will improve your standard of living. And when you have the ability to afford nice housing you should not have to share your neighborhood with others that don't share your income and values (OR industriousness...). Anything else is a bunch of hooey...

(Even at my income level, I certainly don't think I have a RIGHT to live at the Banks...)
Well said....

Old 04-17-2008, 10:33 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,453,149 times
"hard work" and "means" are two different things, and no, one doesn't automatically lead to the other. the most hardworking people are the working poor. that's the point about college. less labor, more logistics. but as we know, not everyone can go to college for a number of reasons, both economic and institutional. the old work ethic, "my immigrant father" argument is so old and ignorant. if you happen to be african american, your ancestors came here slaves, and fifteen generations of their descendants were as well. they couldn't go to school with white kids or eat at the same place or even vote just 50 years ago but everything's fair and cool now. lol.

i don't think public housing is a good idea for the banks, but i think the city needs to do more...much more for the city neighborhoods. and i think the otr gentrification thing is going to be a problem for this city. i support urban revitalization, and i think otr can be a harlem again. but this city has a history of having white people from outside downtown making decisions on behalf of a black neighborhood, and it always leads to tensions.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:26 PM
QCP QCP started this thread

185 posts, read 524,078 times
Quote:
"hard work" and "means" are two different things, and no, one doesn't automatically lead to the other. the most hardworking people are the working poor. that's the point about college. less labor, more logistics. but as we know, not everyone can go to college for a number of reasons, both economic and institutional. the old work ethic, "my immigrant father" argument is so old and ignorant. if you happen to be african american, your ancestors came here slaves, and fifteen generations of their descendants were as well. they couldn't go to school with white kids or eat at the same place or even vote just 50 years ago but everything's fair and cool now. lol.
Your point is understood, and I will say that I agree with most of what you say. However, I also think it is ignorant (your word) to say "the most hard working people are the working poor". That is something that really aggrevates me. I come from a blue-collar, lower to middle class area, working poor if you will ( I have several relatives living in public housing) and now live in a mostly white-collar, middle to upper class area. I often hear the phrase "we're the real working people" when I visit home and it just goes right through me. Flat out angers me. Especially when I know how hard I worked to get through college (let alone how hard I worked to get into college) then it is followed by a career where I spend 60-70 hours a week to provide the best I can for my family. My friend, hard work does not always equate to a sore back. There are millions of very hard working people that put on a shirt and tie everyday and drive to work in their Mercedes. You are correct "hard work" does not always lead to a "means", but "hard work + education" does. In finishing, the purpose of college is not less labor, it's more opportunity.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:19 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
if you happen to be african american, your ancestors came here slaves, and fifteen generations of their descendants were as well.
That's a patently false statement. The record clearly shows that nearly 37% of blacks came here as free men or as indentured servants, just as whites did. There were even villages and towns in the South founded by free blacks or former indentured servants who became free, and those towns were in existence prior to and after the civil war. It is true that many southern states had laws in existence prior to the civil that prevented free blacks from voting, and that they were often assessed unfair taxes, however, the fact remains that they were not slaves nor had they ever been slaves.

My family was in bondage on a papal estate for more than 6 Centuries, longer than any black in the US, but you don't see me walking around demanding reparations and special privileges, or accusing catholics of being the devil with blue eyes.

I notice you quite deftly avoid placing blame on the Yoruba, Maasi, Ashanti, Masori and dozens of other African tribes who held Africans as slaves for centuries and gladly sold them to the Dutch and Portuguese for a price. Apparently you would not blame Indians, specifically the Gujurati who sold East Indians into slavery in South Africa (the region and the country) and exported black Africans to the East Indian islands.

Perhaps you've forgotten that medieval serfdom was slavery.You preach the message that whites enslave people, but the historical record is quite clear that people with power, regardless of race will enslave other people, regardless of race. That's quite a different message.

Quote:
i don't think public housing is a good idea for the banks, but i think the city needs to do more...much more for the city neighborhoods.
That is not a function of city government. A city's function is to coordinate services to provide security, safety, an infrastructure, clean drinking water, and sewage and sanitation removal, in that order, so that you don't have to come home from work and dig ditches or build roads or stand fire watch for 4-6 hours a night.

When a city learns how to do that efficiently and effectively, it needs not do much else, since it will have created a safe prosperous environment that will attract more business than it can handle and provide numerous opportunities for its residents, eliminating the need for social services (except the for aged, blind, deaf and retarded, who I might add, try their damnedest to be contributing productive members of society in spite of their disabilities)

Quote:
and i think otr can be a harlem again.
It never was Harlem, it was a German community. If you want to see the closest thing to Harlem outside of New York, go to Dayton.

Quote:
but this city has a history of having white people from outside downtown making decisions on behalf of a black neighborhood, and it always leads to tensions.
Perhaps, because the "black leaders" are so ready and willing to sell out their flock for a price. Of course, if black neighborhoods learned about qualities like accountability and responsibility, they wouldn't have other people making decisions for them, right?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:31 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,718,326 times
People often forget what "Market-Rate" housing means or do not think about the term ... Let's say that the developers wanted to sell nothing but $3 million-dollar condos ... what would happen? They'd end up dropping their price ... Why? Because the market couldn't support the supply.

I say let nature take it's course in this matter.

The high-end condo demand in Downtown has cooled off, but the more affordable demad hasn't. A $150K condo in DT won't last a week right now.

If there's no demand, the unit for sale will obviously drop lower and lower and lower until it finally sells.

You can't pick up a house and move it, so what'd you do? You lower the price.

This is what we're seeing with OTR. You've got market-rate people that want to move into the neighborhood ... investors take note and snatch up property to turn and make a profit. It's called business and it's what separates the successful from the unsuccessful. If the demand weren't there, then property owners would go back to selling buildings in OTR for a buck.

So, who's fault is it?

Is it the buyer's?
The Investor's?
The city's?

Old 04-18-2008, 09:55 AM

122 posts, read 959,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
People should be rewarded for their hard work, not for their existance. What about the hard working people that make make up 90% of the metro area that won't be able to afford a home in the Banks? Will they be offered the same opportunity?
AMEN!!!

FYI - did you all know that Section 8 (subsidized housing) does not (I repeat not) require their able-bodied tenants to work, or even look for work??? It's the truth. Call and confirm if you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati